how people live?

also, what most of the argentines consider to be ¨middle class lifestyle¨ in a country like the United States, most people would deem as living in near poverty, as in the States we are used to the ease of consuming more.

satoko said:
Any good point of Argentine life?

Yes! All of the things people in industrialised countries don't have time to care about because they are either working or shopping for things they really don't need: spending time with families and friends, enjoying an asado and a Sunday with the people you love most, etc. Oh, and it is all for free.

I think this whole "Frugal non-consumista argentine" crap is hilarious.

Have you guys been to Palermo, Villa Crespo or Caballito recently? The starbucks are full of people chatting away on their iphones drinking 30 peso frozen drinks which contain 0 coffee. The clothes may all be crap quality but they're buying them non stop; allways after the latest fashion trend.

Argentine's aren't not-buying stuff because they'd rather spend time having an asado with friends or family, they're not shopping because they're poor and the second they have money they'll go out and spend it. This country has a culture of consumerism to run with the best "industrialized country".

PhilipDT said:
I think this whole "Frugal non-consumista argentine" crap is hilarious.

Have you guys been to Palermo, Villa Crespo or Caballito recently? The starbucks are full of people chatting away on their iphones drinking 30 peso frozen drinks which contain 0 coffee. The clothes may all be crap quality but they're buying them non stop; allways after the latest fashion trend.

Argentine's aren't not-buying stuff because they'd rather spend time having an asado with friends or family, they're not shopping because they're poor and the second they have money they'll go out and spend it. This country has a culture of consumerism to run with the best "industrialized country".

There you are, another Argentina 'expert' basing his observations on how people in Las Cañitas, Alto Palermo, etc live.

Amargo said:
Yes! All of the things people in industrialised countries don't have time to care about because they are either working or shopping for things they really don't need: spending time with families and friends, enjoying an asado and a Sunday with the people you love most, etc. Oh, and it is all for free.

Not quite free. An asado for an extended family (on occasions like semana santa) can cost well over $500 pesos in carne alone...even in the provincia...650 KM from Alto Palermo...and don't forget the cost of the wine...and beer..and soft drinks...and the ingredients of a dozen salads...and other "unidentifiable" (at least to me) foods. :p

(Don't forget the cost of nafta and/or GNC for everyone to get there and the cost of the firewood and gas to cook the food.)

Amargo said:
There you are, another Argentina 'expert' basing his observations on how people in Las Cañitas, Alto Palermo, etc live.

I live at the intersection of San Cristobal, Boedo and Balvanera, I'm well outside the expat bubble, and I listed some traditionally middle class barrios of Buenos Aires in my previous post (caballito and villa crespo). I could have also mentioned colegiales, saveedra (sp?) and devoto as other examples but I thought I had gotten my point across. By the way, I saw the check-out girl at the chino @ Independencia & Alberti answer a phone call on her iPhone 4 yesterday while I was checking out. Next time hold the condescension please.

steveinbsas said:
other "unidentifiable" (at least to me) foods. :p
I think its usually related to Jell-o.

PhilipDT said:
I think its usually related to Jell-o.

I lived in a dorm my first two years of college (1968-1969)...when it was almost free ($125 per sememster for tuition and book rentals and about $500 for room and board in the tallest (and new) 28 story dormitory in the US).

Believe me, I know Jell-o.

We're not talking about Jell-o here...

Some of the unidentifiable foods at the asado were gelatenous (possibly containing animal "by" products). :eek:

steveinbsas said:
Not quite free. An asado for an extended family (on occasions like semana santa) can cost well over $500 pesos in carne alone...even in the provincia...650 KM from Alto Palermo...and don't forget the cost of the wine...and beer..and soft drinks...and the ingredients of a dozen salads...and other "unidentifiable" (at least to me) foods. :p

(Don't forget the cost of nafta and/or GNC for everyone to get there and the cost of the firewood and gas to cook the food.)
how much do u think an asado would cost for 10 people in bsas provincia? with beer and wine,picada, helado included? I may have to pitch in for the cost. its my aunts bday

steveinbsas said:
I lived in a dorm my first two years of college (1968-1969).

Believe me, I know Jell-o.

We're not talking about Jell-o here...

Some of the unidentifiable foods at the asado were gelatenous (possibly containing animal "by" products). :eek:
???huh.:confused:

PhilipDT said:
I live at the intersection of San Cristobal, Boedo and Balvanera, I'm well outside the expat bubble, and I listed some traditionally middle class barrios of Buenos Aires in my previous post (caballito and villa crespo). I could have also mentioned colegiales, saveedra (sp?) and devoto as other examples but I thought I had gotten my point across. By the way, I saw the check-out girl at the chino @ Independencia & Alberti answer a phone call on her iPhone 4 yesterday while I was checking out. Next time hold the condescension please.

Saavedra would be right. No idea how much interaction you have with Argentines, but I can assure you that the many Argentines I know (the family of my wife is a *big* family, spread accross much of the country - I've lived in Argentina already a few decades and have a lot of Argentine true friends) are not even nearly as obsessed as the average Northamerican or European. If you are unhappy about other things in the country, fine, but your statement does not make any sense.

Back