how people live?

satoko

Registered
Hi, I am kind of new in Buenos Aires, and a little curious how people pay for their life here.

I lived in South East Asia and everything was a lot cheaper there, but salary was higher than here in BsAs. I am from Japan and have traveled stats, there are much more stuff cheaper than here. Of course I know there are a lot more stuff expensive than here, properties, medical services etc, but things for everyday life are cheaper.

I have read some threads about salary here. salary rate is about 1/2 - 1/3 or less compare to Asia, but prices are not 1/2, almost same, maybe many things here are more expensive. I don't think I can live with Argentinean salary rate, but many people are ok with it, why? I am not a shopper, I am not a gambler, I just buy food for everyday, that's it.

One thing I noticed is that many of my friends here doesn't pay for rent, they already have house from parents, or having sublet guests etc. If you don't pay for the rent.

I am just curious how everybody lives. I am currently living with JPY/USD, not pesos, but in the future I might have to live with peso!

Sorry for the stupid question, just being curious and would love to get some ideas!

Actually the impression you received is an accurate one. Most argentineans depend on their families to meet the end of the month and getting off the ground is really hard and expensive if you don´t have some kind of financial support from a relative. Inflationary prices are a constant and the salaries never match the inflationary rates. Have you considered living in other city or town rather than Buenos Aires? I know prices are lower when you get away from the city.

People live with their families. Only when people have enough money to buy a property do they usually move out of the family house. Most households also have more than one person working. The more people in the household who work, the easier it is to get by. I have seen this with a lot of my younger Argentine friends, they live with their families (mom, dad, siblings, spouse, kids) while working full time and they share in the household expenses. People, couples, or young families who have to go at it alone here are at a huge disadvantage.

I had to stop buying stuff, I just stick to food and the occasional fun night out (that used to happen every Friday + Saturday back home, now it's every two to three weeks).

satoko said:
I am just curious how everybody lives. I am currently living with JPY/USD, not pesos, but in the future I might have to live with peso!

Sorry for the stupid question, just being curious and would love to get some ideas!

Konichiwa, Satoko,

There is no need to apologize for your question.

After living in Capital Federal for four years I have lived in el campo (provinca bs. as.) for two years. Just today I asked for the price of "chicken wire" for the hen house I am building (for the eggs).

I also plan to have a cabra soon (for the milk).

If the day ever comes when yen, dollars, and pesos are worthless, at least I will have eggs and milk (and an occasional chicken) to trade and/or consume.

But of course I'm just a paranoid expat who is preparing for the inevevitable collapse of civilazition.

Ganbatte ne!

Forgot to add... whenever I DO buy something (clothing especially) it doesn't last long. So it's pricey and shitty.

genialf said:
Forgot to add... whenever I DO buy something (clothing especially) it doesn't last long. So it's pricey and shitty.

I love merrell shoes, the ones i buy in NZ or AU are made in China, and usually last 2 or more years.. the ones i buy here are made in AR and last 6 months if i am lucky..

As for locals managing, i have local friends who either live at home until they can afford their own place, which can be well into their 30's, are given a house by their parents, or share with friends, sometimes even sharing beds (as in just friends) as they cant afford to live any other way on the wages they make here...

thank you very much for your comments, everybody!

I am figuring out... rent is too expensive and the quality of products are so poor.... Any good point of Argentine life?

I remember that when I first came to Argentina I have asked my Argentine friends where to find apartment, and nobody knows... no wonder, they are living with their family.

Back