How Stupid will America be???

"Dudester" said:
PS. Steve, I admire your way with words - Bush/Cheney "DICTATORSHIP" - couldn't have said it better myself - Exactly Spot on !!!

Perhaps I should have used the term "occupation" rather than dictatorship. I think it is more appropriate, but I don't want to edit my post now that Dudester has referred to it. An "occupation" of the White House implies illegitimacy, and IMO that suits them well. Nonetheless, some of their "emergency measures" have certainly been considered "dictatorial" by millions.

Hi Steve.
It is not a ocupation when you let someone into you house and then let them sleep with your wife. Remember the American electorate twice gave Bush/Chaney the first privlige.
DQ

Hi DQ,When using the term "occupation" I was thinking of the 2000 election...implying that GWB was not clearly "invited" into the White House in the first place.
Steve

Anybody catch the Michelle Obama speech last night from Denver? Now here was a REAL person talking REAL sh*t, not some kiss ass phony sh*t like the Mavrick Geezer or even Hillary. I don't get it, put either Obama - him OR her - next to Geezer and how can you not go for Obama?? I mean Geezer is just SO FAKE...... I do not get it......... This is what the "Woodstock Generation" has become, a bunch of clueless idiots with Maverick/Obama at 50/50, UNBELIEVABLE !!! I need some meds to turn off my brain....

Did you know they have empanadas for like 2 pesos here? efing unbelievable. oh and hey do they send absentee ballots down here or are you guys flying back up for the old democratic process thing? personally, I'd like to capitalize on our situation here and place bets. I'd rather make some scratch now than hold my breath waiting for democracy to take action. 1 ltr. of cerveza on la discobama. hell, ill buy a beer for anyone who will take that bet because nothing cures indoctrinated ideologies like beer! Everybody wins!

A good piece here by John Pilger for all those dolts backing the Mocha Messiah:
http://www.johnpilger.com/page.asp?partid=489
Kennedy’s campaign is a model for Barack Obama. Like Obama, he was a senator with no achievements to his name. Like Obama, he raised the expectations of young people and minorities. Like Obama, he promised to end an unpopular war, not because he opposed the war’s conquest of other people’s land and resources, but because it was “unwinnable”.

Should Obama beat John McCain to the White House in November, it will be liberalism’s last fling. In the United States and Britain, liberalism as a war-making, divisive ideology is once again being used to destroy liberalism as a reality. A great many people understand this, as the hatred of Blair and new Labour attest, but many are disoriented and eager for “leadership” and basic social democracy. In the US, where unrelenting propaganda about American democratic uniqueness disguises a corporate system based on extremes of wealth and privilege, liberalism as expressed through the Democratic Party has played a crucial, compliant role.
The vacuities are familiar. Obama is his echo. Like Kennedy, Obama may well “chart a new direction for America” in specious, media-honed language, but in reality he will secure, like every president, the best damned democracy money can buy.

As their contest for the White House draws closer, watch how, regardless of the inevitable personal smears, Obama and McCain draw nearer to each other. They already concur on America’s divine right to control all before it. “We lead the world in battling immediate evils and promoting the ultimate good,” said Obama. “We must lead by building a 21st-century military... to advance the security of all people [emphasis added].” McCain agrees. Obama says in pursuing “terrorists” he would attack Pakistan. McCain wouldn’t quarrel. Both candidates have paid ritual obeisance to the regime in Tel Aviv, unquestioning support for which defines all presidential ambition. In opposing a UN Security Council resolution implying criticism of Israel’s starvation of the people of Gaza, Obama was ahead of both McCain and Hillary Clinton. In January, pressured by the Israel lobby, he massaged a statement that “nobody has suffered more than the Palestinian people” to now read: “Nobody has suffered more than the Palestinian people from the failure of the Palestinian leadership to recognise Israel [emphasis added].” Such is his concern for the victims of the longest, illegal military occupation of modern times. Like all the candidates, Obama has furthered Israeli/Bush fictions about Iran, whose regime, he says absurdly, “is a threat to all of us”.

On the war in Iraq, Obama the dove and McCain the hawk are almost united. McCain now says he wants US troops to leave in five years (instead of “100 years”, his earlier option). Obama has now “reserved the right” to change his pledge to get troops out next year. “I will listen to our commanders on the ground,” he now says, echoing Bush. His adviser on Iraq, Colin Kahl, says the US should maintain up to 80,000 troops in Iraq until 2010. Like McCain, Obama has voted repeatedly in the Senate to support Bush’s demands for funding of the occupation of Iraq; and he has called for more troops to be sent to Afghanistan. His senior advisers embrace McCain’s proposal for an aggressive “league of democracies”, led by the United States, to circumvent the United Nations. Like McCain, he would extend the crippling embargo on Cuba.
The American media love both Obama and McCain. Reminiscent of mating calls by Guardian writers to Blair more than a decade ago, Jann Wenner, founder of the liberal Rolling Stone, wrote: “There is a sense of dignity, even majesty, about him, and underneath that ease lies a resolute discipline... Like Abraham Lincoln, Barack Obama challenges America to rise up, to do what so many of us long to do: to summon ‘the better angels of our nature’.” At the liberal New Republic, Charles Lane confessed: “I know it shouldn’t be happening, but it is. I’m falling for John McCain.” His colleague Michael Lewis had gone further. His feelings for McCain, he wrote, were like “the war that must occur inside a 14-year-old boy who discovers he is more sexually attracted to boys than to girls”.

The objects of these uncontrollable passions are as one in their support for America’s true deity, its corporate oligarchs. Despite claiming that his campaign wealth comes from small individual donors, Obama is backed by the biggest Wall Street firms: Goldman Sachs, UBS AG, Lehman Brothers, J P Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse, as well as the huge hedge fund Citadel Investment Group. “Seven of the Obama campaign’s top 14 donors,” wrote the investigator Pam Martens, “consisted of officers and employees of the same Wall Street firms charged time and again with looting the public and newly implicated in originating and/or bundling fraudulently made mortgages.” A report by United for a Fair Economy, a non-profit group, estimates the total loss to poor Americans of colour who took out sub-prime loans as being between $164bn and $213bn: the greatest loss of wealth ever recorded for people of colour in the United States. “Washington lobbyists haven’t funded my campaign,” said Obama in January, “they won’t run my White House and they will not drown out the voices of working Americans when I am president.” According to files held by the Centre for Responsive Politics, the top five contributors to the Obama campaign are registered corporate lobbyists.

What is Obama’s attraction to big business? Precisely the same as Robert Kennedy’s. By offering a “new”, young and apparently progressive face of the Democratic Party – with the bonus of being a member of the black elite – he can blunt and divert real opposition. That was Colin Powell’s role as Bush’s secretary of state. An Obama victory will bring intense pressure on the US anti-war and social justice movements to accept a Democratic administration for all its faults. If that happens, domestic resistance to rapacious America will fall silent.

Anybody catch the news of Modona comparing McCain to Hitler. Not to bright if you ask me. If anything stupid and insulting stuff like this will just drive people to McCain, can´t see how this could help Obama.
This should be the Democrats year, of course they should have won the last time as well. I´m not to impressed with the Democratic message so far which seems to be limited to calling a McCain election four more years of Bush. I think this is showing in the poll results which shows a tight race, it really shouldn´t be.

A good piece by Paul Craig Roberts on "how stupid America will be":
Americans have become perfect subjects for George Orwell’s Big Brother. They sit stupidly in front of the TV news or the New York Times or Washington Post and absorb the lies fed to them. What is wrong with Americans? Why do they put up with it? Are Americans the nation of sheep that Judge Andrew P. Napolitano says they are? Americans flaunt "freedom and democracy" and live under a Ministry of Propaganda.
The gratuitously aggressive US military policy toward Russia will lead to nuclear war. I am confident that if Americans elect John McCain, or the Republicans steal another presidential election, there will be nuclear war in the second decade of the 21st century. The neocon lies, propaganda, macho flag-waving, and use of US foreign policy in the interests of a few military-security firms, oil companies, and Israel are all leading in that direction.
The November election is perhaps the last chance to avoid nuclear war. But the opportunity might already have been missed. The Republicans have chosen as their candidate one of the most ignorant warmongers alive. The Democrats’ choice was between one of the most divisive women in America and a man of mixed race with a funny name. Considering American’s taste for war, the Democratic candidate could fail to defeat the GOP war candidate.
Many Americans will vote against Obama because he is black. Why does mixed ancestry confer the black label? If America’s population was predominantly black, would Obama be considered white?
Race and propaganda are more likely to determine the outcome of the November election than any awareness or consideration of real issues by voters.
The real issues are suffocated by the media. The American middle class is being destroyed by jobs offshoring and work visas for foreigners, while the incomes of the super rich are soaring. The US dollar’s reserve currency status is eroded. The US is massively in debt at home and abroad. Health insurance is unaffordable for the vast majority of the population. Injured veterans are being nickeled and dimed, while Halliburton’s profits escalate. Americans are losing their homes, while the US government bails out banks. Wars with Iran, Russia, and China are being planned in order to secure US hegemony.
Americans no longer have a government that is for the people and by the people. They have a government for and by special interests and an insane ideology.
But Americans have war, which lets them take out all their frustrations, resentments, and disappointments on "Muslim terrorists" and "Russian aggressors." Few Americans are disturbed that 1.25 million Iraqis and an unknown number of Afghans have died as a result of American invasions based on Bush regime lies and deceptions. Even Americans, like Senator Biden, Obama’s selection for vice president, who understand that the wars are based on lies, still want the US to win. So, it was all a mistake and a deception, but let’s win anyway and keep on killing.
I know people who still complain that the US did not nuke North Vietnam. When I ask why Vietnam should have been nuked, they reply, "if we had nuked them we would have won."
What would America have won? The answer is world loathing and the loss of the cold war.
For many Americans, war is like a sports contest in which they take vicarious pleasure and cheer on their side to victory. Millions of Americans are still bitter that "the liberal media" and war protesters caused America to lose the Vietnam war, and they are determined that this won’t happen again. These Americans have no realization that there was no more reason for the US to be fighting in Vietnam 40 years ago than to be fighting today in Iraq and Afghanistan or tomorrow in Iran.
Obama, if elected, is no guarantee against nuclear war. Obama has shown that he is as much under the Israel Lobby’s thumb as McCain. Obama’s foreign affairs advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski, is not a neocon, but he was born in Warsaw, Poland, and has the Pole’s animosity toward Russia. The Bush administration has already changed US war doctrine to permit preemptive nuclear attack. With the US government determined to ring Russia with puppet states and military bases, war is inevitable.
Presidential appointees face confirmation in the Senate. Any of Obama’s appointees who might be out of step with plans for US and Israeli hegemony could expect opposition from large corporations and the Israel Lobby. There is no assurance that an Obama administration would not be positioned on "the issues" by the same special interests that have positioned the Bush administration.
Americans are filled with hubris, not with knowledge. They have no awareness of the calamity that their government’s pursuit of hegemony is bringing to themselves and to life on earth.

As always, very good write up BBWolf. Basically hits the nail straight on the head. It pretty much summarizes EXACTLY what is wrong, greatly wrong, with this sinking ship called the USA so why don't all Americans see this as clearly and plainly as it obviously is? The answer to that simple question is way beyond me (we live in a land of fast food, sound bite idiots is as close as I can come).

Along those same line, Mavrick Geezer McCain released a new commercial today. Warning us - scare - of impending war - scare - with hard core, lifelong enemy - scare - IRAN !!!! So what's the big scary "can't wait" threat ??? Well, they have intelligence that IRAN has terrorists that are planning to attack America. This is the same bullsh*t intelligence that gave us WMD in IRAQ - that turned out 100% spot on - ha..... how Iran is going to hit the US with missiles that can hardly make it to Europe is kind of a mystery (but they know best over there at the Pentagon, FBI, CIA, and NSA - the competent little gang that sure were on top of things on 9/11/01 - as with the Cole bombing in Yemen and Dual African Embassy bombings - good work boys - keep it up !!!).

Back to McCains new "Fear" Commercial out today. It also claims that IRAN plans to destroy ISRAEL. I must have slept through it but exactly when did Israel become the 51st state? Is there an extra new star on the American Flag? I tell ya, that's just so neat, to get the protection of the massive US military without paying a cent in US taxes for it - I like that deal, what line do I get in for that freebie US Government give away? Irans gonna attack Israel like Malta's gonna attack Italy - Gimme a break.

There's SO MUCH bullsh*t misinformation flying around that it's starting to smell like the over flowing Port-a-Potties at Woodstock (or was it Altamont?) The only reason I can see to why all these idiotic fear commercials work is the country is full of non thinking idiots - it's pretty simple. Anyway, I do believe NERO and his Fiddle are about to take the stage, let's listen in, shall we? A Crestfallen Dudester

Is it possible to discuss politics on the site without complete hysteria? Nuclear war????

How stupid can America be.
As stupid as Germany in electing Hitler. I believe Obama will get the nod by a nose but its not an indictment of an entire people when one looks to an election. Plenty of countries (Argentina, Venezuela, Italy, Germany, the USA, name your favorite country in Africa or Asia have made stupid choices in governments but it doesnt make the whole country "Stupid".
I think a chill pill is in order. I hated Bush as much as anyone and thought of leaving the country for good. I decided not to. I live part time in Argentina because I like the culture and alot of other things. But I do not think Argentines are "stupid" because they have had their fair share of bad governments.
Now go ahead and rip me a new a hole. I am sure I offended someone. Cheers!

Back