How to convert dollars for the blue market rate

jacobhansen

Registered
Hi All

I just moved from London to Buenos Aires and I brought with me some USD which I would like to exchange for the blue market rate.

What is the best way to go about doing this, and how do I ensure that I get the best rate?

i know that it is easy to find guys on street saying "cambio" but at the moment I am looking to exchange a couple of hundreds USD, and I don't know how secure these street vendors are.

Any advice?

Check around with your acquaintances or work colleagues for a reliable place to exchange your dollars, the street vendors are not usually reliable.

Rich One said:
Check around with your acquaintances or work colleagues for a reliable place to exchange your dollars, the street vendors are not usually reliable.
Eh?

If you're only exchanging a couple hundred dollars, the guys on the street in Florida/Lavalle are the perfect place to go. Just ask 2 or 3 different ones a couple of blocks apart and go with the one who offers you the best rate.

I haven't changed any USD for a couple of weeks, but you should easily get 6.20. It's not worth the hassle of looking for 'the best' rate in BsAs just to get an extra 5 centavos.

If you're ever wanting to exchange thousands of dollars, or will have a regular monthly amount to change, then let me or one of the other old-timers here know and you can get that extra 5 centavos.

I can help exchange smaller amounts (500 or less dollars) at a rate of 6 to 1. Considering this is a completely safe option (Im USA citizen, trust me) you might be interested.

Thanks for your feedback..

At this moment I was just planning to start exchanging a couple of hundred USD, but I am planning to do that on a regular basis for the next couple of months. Is the best place for this really the street vendors?

I am not worried about the exchange rate but my worry with the street vendors is more the reliability and that they might give fake money.

If you have any good reliable contacts that would be ideal.

Cheers

The guys on Florida/Lavalle are all pretty much the same - they don't change the money right there in the street, they take you to a 'cueva' which will be a desk or cashier in the back of a jewellery or mobile phone accessory store.

The one I used for years before I started to 'import' my salary, is located right at the junction of Florida/Lavalle - it has a small Western Union sign outside and is in the back of a mobile phone accessory shop. (Actually I had to stop using them after they accidentally over-changed me USD1000 and I didn't want to go back there in case they asked for it back!)

I never (knowingly) had a fake bill from them. You do hear occasional stories of fakes turning up, but they're as likely to come from an ATM as anywhere else! Just look at every bill for obvious fakes - if they're so good that they're not obvious you'll still be able to spend them anyhow. :)

What is the Lavalle Rate TODAY to sell USD$ $6,20 maso?

Rich One said:
What is the Lavalle Rate TODAY to sell USD$ $6,20 maso?
I have no idea - haven't needed to change USD for a few weeks when I got 6.32. I believe it has dropped off a bit, so I'd say your guess is probably about right.

Again....for anyone changing just a few hundred dollars it's really not worth the hassle to spend hours looking for a few centavos more - isn't your time worth more than the extra 20 pesos?

You'll get as good a deal as is necessary from the dealers on the street in Florida/Lavalle - they really aren't as dodgy as first impressions would make you think. They've been there for 10 years and do very good business - they can do without developing a bad reputation by starting to rip off their clientele.

Safe way: go to the GALERIA BOSTON, in Florida 138 I think, walk down 3 or 4 steps and then turn right and you will see a sign CAMBIO. You will get a fair rate there.

HenryNisental said:
Safe way: go to the GALERIA BOSTON, in Florida 138 I think, walk down 3 or 4 steps and then turn right and you will see a sign CAMBIO. You will get a fair rate there.
Yep, they're one of the many....although the shop next door to them will always beat their quote! Another mobile phone accessory shop that doesn't even look like a place that changes currency, but I can assure you it does - you just have to ask.

Forgot to say, you'll also probably get a (slightly) better rate if you go to a cueva directly, rather than get taken there by one of the guys shouting "cambio" in the street - he can up his commission by quoting you a price whilst he's walking you to the cueva and if you seem happy with it he'll tell the cashier and pocket the difference between what he quoted and the best price they may have given you. But again, we're only talking maybe 20 pesos difference for your USD200.

And I shouldn't need to tell anyone to never accept the first quote - if they say 6.10, walk on and say you just got quoted 6.25 by the last guy. If they don't immediately follow-up with a better quote, maybe 6.10 is as good as you're going to get, but there's another one to try the same trick with 30 yards down the road. :)

Back