How To Find A Good Tefl Job In Ba?

I've just finished my TESOL qualification and had a flight booked for August. I am now moving this to the end of February or beginning of March. I am going to be looking for work teaching English as well. I do have a contact through a friend that can apparently get me work. After reading this I am slightly worried about the wages/cost of living ratio. I'm currently saving hard working full time at home. I should have about £5000 behind me when I arrive. Perhaps I need to re-think and move onto to another area or country after arriving?

I've just finished my TESOL qualification and had a flight booked for August. I am now moving this to the end of February or beginning of March. I am going to be looking for work teaching English as well. I do have a contact through a friend that can apparently get me work. After reading this I am slightly worried about the wages/cost of living ratio. I'm currently saving hard working full time at home. I should have about £5000 behind me when I arrive. Perhaps I need to re-think and move onto to another area or country after arriving?

Yeah I'm thinking the other area of the country is anything Argentina claims was stolen from them, like parts of Chile for that matter. Truth is country is about to default on Wednesday. I'm leaving this week and unless you have a job or two that pays SOLELY in USD lined up I'd chose almost any other country except Argentina and Venezuela right now.

You will find teaching work very easily once you are in Buenos Aires- I doubt you will before arriving- this isn't unusual so don't be disheartened- it took me 3 days to find work after arriving- I have a Cambridge Celta (although I don't teach any more) and some companies ask for it others just want native teachers. (craigslist Buenos Aires is full of vacancies)You earn highest with private students but they are more work where as with an institute you have regular hours but less pay- for me the best thing was to do both part private teaching and part in company teaching.. 6- 8000 pesos a month is a good wage teaching full time- (I think)- other forum members may be able to give more accurate figures. Rental wise you will probably be charged in dollars and looking at between 280- 500 a month depending on the area and if its a shared place etc... My pilates teacher is looking for a British teacher to teach him twice a week for 3 hours- 130 pesos (every 1.5 hour class). Let me know if you would be interested in this to get you started. Good luck!

6,000 to 8,000 pesos a month is equal to approximately $475 USD to $635 USD per month. Rent at 280-500 a month in dollars is probably fine, but that doesn't leave much room for food and nothing at all for anything else, as far as I can see. Some of my brothers- and sisters-in-law live in housing for about 2500 pesos a month, in pensiones, or about $200 USD a month. You might be able to find some kind of apartment share arrangement or maybe outside of the city some halfway decent digs for $2500.

6,000 - 8,000 pesos a month hasn't been sufficient to be reasonably comfortable on for a few years or more now, in my opinion.

6,000 to 8,000 pesos a month is equal to approximately $475 USD to $635 USD per month. Rent at 280-500 a month in dollars is probably fine, but that doesn't leave much room for food and nothing at all for anything else, as far as I can see. Some of my brothers- and sisters-in-law live in housing for about 2500 pesos a month, in pensiones, or about $200 USD a month. You might be able to find some kind of apartment share arrangement or maybe outside of the city some halfway decent digs for $2500.

6,000 - 8,000 pesos a month hasn't been sufficient to be reasonably comfortable on for a few years or more now, in my opinion.

Hi,

6000 - 8000 pesos is about 730 - 970 US$, remember that you are consuming and spending the money in Argentina, and what you consume is based on the official exchange rate. To calculate cost of living in blue dollar while spending the money locally is surreal.

Cheers!

Well good luck on finding a GOOD TEFL job here. The only ones you can get is on an hourly basis, travelling between sites and between each student, well keep trying good luck.
I don't know any english teacher with a FT job, the most you can hope for is a PT job. And of course the pay is crappy, forget about your employer helping you with paper work. Additionally, there are many disreputable employers out there giving you a job and then at months end you figure out that you won't get paid.

Hi,

6000 - 8000 pesos is about 730 - 970 US$, remember that you are consuming and spending the money in Argentina, and what you consume is based on the official exchange rate. To calculate cost of living in blue dollar while spending the money locally is surreal.

Cheers!

If you say so. Of course, you're leaving out why there is a blue market (the official rate is for government to take advantage of international exports, but if you've read any of the posts in this forum, you should already know that) and the fact that no one except tourists have access to the official rate (and yeah, try buying back those dollars when you leave - sometimes yes, sometimes no), and the FACT is that your pesos ARE NOT worth the official rate when comparing to dollars, but the blue rate. I.e., your real buying power is much closer to the blue rate than the official rate.

And I also wonder why so many locals that I know come to me to buy dollars with their measly savings, at the BLUE rate, which they can't even do at a blue market cambio because NO ONE WANTS PESOS. When they buy dollars from someone else, it is ALWAYS at a rate higher than the official sell rate.

I'd roll me eyes if you could see me do it.

But don't take my word for it, nor anyone else who is bitching about the real value of the peso, for those who earn in local currency. Feel free to experience the reality. Or if you are, you are living in a different world than the one the rest of us live in, surreal to you or not.

WIld_Horses - you're 100% wrong. The official rate is surreal; it's basically made up by the government to hide economic reality, including inflation. The blue rate reflects the true value of the peso, which is constantly erroded by inflation. So if you want to measure the cost of living, you should definitely use the blue rate.

ElQueso - right on.

Back