How to get US Xbox to work

randb33

Registered
My boyfriend got transfered to Argentina for work a few weeks ago and he brought his xbox along, of course. He bought the adapters and it worked for a few days, then melted it. I'm leaving in a week and a half to come out there with him and I'm trying to figure out what I would need to get the xbox working, for both of us since we get netflix on it also! Anyone have experience on getting their xbox to work out here? Thanks so much!!

EDIT:
Thanks everyone for your advice! Has anyone tried using a 220V Brick? Xbox comes with an electrical cord that has a big rectangle AC/DC adapter, which is called a brick, and in the US they're sold with 120V, but other countries they come with 220V, hence since it is an electrical converter itself in reason should just work without a transformer.. But has anyone actually just bought a 220V brick and had it work without converters or transformers? :confused:

I have a UK one with me, but have yet to try and wire it up - If anyone has any clues - can they pass them on. Thanks

We used an transformer and a US/Argentina power strip from Casa de Transformers. I works great. We couldn't do the apple TV bit because we lived outside the country and would have to set up a proxy server in the US.

randb33 said:
My boyfriend got transfered to Argentina for work a few weeks ago and he brought his xbox along, of course. He bought the adapters and it worked for a few days, then melted it. I'm leaving in a week and a half to come out there with him and I'm trying to figure out what I would need to get the xbox working, for both of us since we get netflix on it also! Anyone have experience on getting their xbox to work out here? Thanks so much!!

You should check if you can use Netflix here in Argentina. They probably block access, but I haven't tried.

As for your "melting" something... Is the unit dual voltage? You need to check that. If it is then you shouldn't have melted anything. If it isn't then you need a voltage converter.

Melting adapters are never a good thing. Did you let the smoke out? Electrical components always stop working when you let the smoke out. :rolleyes:

Mini is right, netflix blocks access outside of the USA. You can trick netflix into thinking that you're still in the USA using technical slight of hand and magic.

Cangurito said:
Mini is right, netflix blocks access outside of the USA. You can trick netflix into thinking that you're still in the USA using technical slight of hand and magic.

I have yet to be able to do this... Clearly I'm a very bad magician... Any tips are much welcome!

criswkh said:
We used an transformer and a US/Argentina power strip from Casa de Transformers. I works great. We couldn't do the apple TV bit because we lived outside the country and would have to set up a proxy server in the US.

Hmmm.. We've been using AppleTV for a couple of years w/o issue. No proxy server needed. All you need is to have a USA billing address and credit card in your iTunes account. Then it works just like you're in the US. We rent movies (standard and Hi-Def) as well as buy season passes to shows, etc. If you are able to get a US billing address and credit card you should be ok. Same should apply for all other iTunes approved countries (although we only tried US)

For netflix, you need a USA billing address and an IP address within the USA. According to 2GuysInPM, your IP address need not be in the USA for for AppleTV.

Cangurito said:
Here's how to watch Netflix (or any other restricted service) outside the USA: http://www.ghacks.net/2006/05/01/howto-watch-abc-tv-streams-outside-the-usa/

A word of caution: the article describes a concept that uses anonymous proxy servers. Never use anonymous proxy servers to check emails, perform home banking or any other secure transaction. Doing so may expose your passwords and logons to unknown individuals.

Thanks. I tried that already & it didn't work....

Eeks! I didn't know about your warning! Thanks for that.

Back