How to get US Xbox to work

Randb33 -
my husband brought his XBox here from the USA. It works great, but he uses a transformer of about 700 watts...

Thanks everyone for your advice! Has anyone tried using a 220V Brick? Xbox comes with an electrical cord that has a big rectangle AC/DC adapter, which is called a brick, and in the US they're sold with 120V, but other countries they come with 220V, hence since it is an electrical converter itself in reason should just work without a transformer.. But has anyone actually just bought a 220V brick and had it work without converters or transformers?

randb33 said:
Thanks everyone for your advice! Has anyone tried using a 220V Brick? Xbox comes with an electrical cord that has a big rectangle AC/DC adapter, which is called a brick, and in the US they're sold with 120V, but other countries they come with 220V, hence since it is an electrical converter itself in reason should just work without a transformer.. But has anyone actually just bought a 220V brick and had it work without converters or transformers?

Check the machine itself. The little tag that has the technical info on it. It should say the watts & hz & volts. If it's dual voltage it will say 120-220 (or 240) or something. If it says only 120 then changing the brick won't help.

There are a load of technicians who will be able to sort out your issue. I had to get my power brick fixed when I came to Argentina and went to this site... ego360.com.ar - it's all in Spanish, but they have a bunch of trusted technicians who will fix anything with your xbox for not very much cash. 99% of the xbox's here are from the USA, as Argentina is not a recognised market - so you won't have problems.

i recommend that you seek a switch mode converter rather than the brick. Brick transformers are bulky, old technology and inefficient. Switch mode converters are tiny by comparison (1/10th the size) and properly convert 60hz to 50hz which is an important but often overlooked requirement.

I have my PS3 down here (with a voltage converter) but my US Netflix account will not work (on either my Playstation OR my computer. I've heard that you need to rent a VPN service to reroute the data to a US server to 'trick' Netflix into thinking that you're in the US. Can a VPN be used on a PS3 or Xbox? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Liam3494 said:
I have a UK one with me, but have yet to try and wire it up - If anyone has any clues - can they pass them on. Thanks

I have a UK one here too, works fine with no need to change the PSU (both 220volts) as for buying games.... i'd check playasia.com to see if the game is region free otherwise just get someone to send them... they're overpriced here anyway.

Liam3494 said:
I have a UK one with me, but have yet to try and wire it up - If anyone has any clues - can they pass them on. Thanks

My son brought a Belgian one, no problem, only had to get another cable to connect...

Back