How To Influence Effectively In This Culture

I wonder how much of the "research" on which the article was based, especially this statement, actually took place in Argentina:

"Argentines make strong eye contact and are likely to touch others socially. A pat on the back or touching of the shoulder would be common ways of affirming or connecting with other people."

Anyone who has spent even one day in Argentina is likely to notice how much and how often Argentines (including men) kiss each other on the cheek as they touch each other on the shoulder (aka un abrazo). While men meeting for the first time don't often kiss (unless being introduced in someone's home to another family member or close friend), men and women meeting for the first time often do. After that it all depends on the degree of familiarity.

Anyone who has shopped for groceries in an Argentine supermarket has probably seen one worker kissing another as they arrive and leave (at the beginning and end of their shift)...adding a few more seconds to the checkout waiting time. The son of a friend of mine works in a local grocery store and we always kiss as I enter and/or leave the store.

Recently, while I was "boxing" my own groceries at the same store, I was embraced (from behind!) by an Argentine man about my age. It was a case of mistaken identity. I reacted with a smile, extended my hand too shake his and said, "No soy quien crees que soy, pero mucho gusto, señor." He apologized but he did not seem to be very embarrassed.While maintaining eye contact I added, "Tengas un buen dia. Chau, hasta luego." and left the store.

It would be unusual to see an Argentine just giving someone else a hug. If it's more than a handshake, it's almost always a kiss on the cheek which is also accompanied by a touch on the upper arm (or a mini-embrace). If I had actually known the "hugger" in the grocery store, we undoubtedly would have kissed on the cheek as well. Although I didn't think about it until after I left the store, the reason I reacted calmly to the unwarranted hug from the rear was probably because it was not accompanied by a pelvic thrust.

11. If all else fails just say your foreign and run an international money exchange company and you`ll never have to pay for lunch ever again.

Compared with other latin American countries maybe Argentina has less -social distance- between the classes but this is not something to be proud of when there is still way way to much inequality in such a resource rich country and a country (or in the capital least) that prides itself on being the most sophisticated of all latin American countries. In itself the (rising) level of crime in Argentina suggests that inequality is a huge issue.

Despite southern europe's economic problems you wont find any barrios like Villa 31 in Spain or Greece etc. High unemployment level, poor areas and people using food banks yes. Families living in mud and tin shacks and 5 year olds selling socks in the street. No. Also the murder and crime rates are significantly lower than Argentina's. The hardship in southern europe these days is relative to what theyve lost in recent years and they had considerably more to start with than than the average Argentine. Spain 2015 cannot be compared with Argentina 2001/2 (from what Argentines and ALL Argentine media tell me Argentina was like in 2001/2) although Telesur and 678 like to paint it that way

You know, I thought exact the same thing this afternoon as I was driving my new Ferrari (that I just purchased on Libertador) through Villa 31.

Read better, I said comparing the continent. And dont you have that in Italy, in France, in Germany? ok, maybe there are not villas, but yes, you have people that earn 1500 euros month, and others that drive ferraris, or mercedes, or porsche.
Inequality is the sign of this times, world wide, a thousands times worse than it was 100 years ago.

BTW, if you knew better argentine society, you would know that Ferraris are not that common in Argentina. And not because money is an issue. It has to do with considering the otherness. Low profile. The richs in Argentina, at least the traditional richs, do not drive ferraris, thats a thing of new richs, which forrtunately do not represent more than 5% of the richs.

Here, look at this map that certifies what I say.

2000px-2014_Gini_Index_World_Map,_income_inequality_distribution_by_country_per_World_Bank.svg.png

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]--BTW, if you knew better argentine society, you would know that Ferraris are not that common in Argentina. And not because money is an issue. It has to do with considering the otherness. Low profile. The richs in Argentina, at least the traditional richs, do not drive ferraris, thats a thing of new richs, which forrtunately do not represent more than 5% of the richs.--[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]You cannot be serious! Didnt menem have a Ferrari? Ok they and other sports cars are not common maybe due to import restrictions and huge tax. Or maybe because the quality of road surface in Argentina makes driving a low slung car uncomfortable and a liabilty. There are plenty of Mercs Audis BMWs and SUV Porsches with raised ride height. Rich Argentines live in gated communities etc etc. They like being rich and definately flaunt their wealth! [/background]

In general, I agree. But insecurity is not so directly linked to poverty as everyone suppose. In Mexico, 60% are under poverty and is a lot safer than Argentina (25%).

In Europe, you DO have insecurity and poverty, and its growing. I dont think this will change in the future, I see this is going to be a problem in the short - mid term in Europe. As well as in the US, where this is now a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Where is the musicman with his Ferrari? i miss him.

He was "exposed" as a troll after he changed his username and started posting as Texas_dude. Even though he changed his name he was still asking the same basic questions in the same style of writing. Some of what he claimed (having two million dollars to retire on at the age of 50) might have been true, but probably not much.

Note to 97000 (and counting): The comment about the Ferrari was a facetious reference to Musicman who made a number of posts asking about bringing his Ferrari to Ba and if driving it through the streets would cause damage to it the suspension. He also said he was going to start a new career as a professional "soccer" agent and was looking for an apartment with a helipad.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]You cannot be serious! Didnt menem have a Ferrari? Ok they and other sports cars are not common maybe due to import restrictions and huge tax. Or maybe because the quality of road surface in Argentina makes driving a low slung car uncomfortable and a liabilty. There are plenty of Mercs Audis BMWs and SUV Porsches with raised ride height. Rich Argentines live in gated communities etc etc. They like being rich and definately flaunt their wealth! [/background]

Look, I have studied argentine richs. Sociological research. For months. I know what Im talking about.

There is a tiny percentage of population, the new richs, which appeared in the 70s, in the last dicatorship, and became more visible during Menemismo, that like this kind of sumptuary goods. They live in Puerto Madero, a neighborhood that does not have more than 15 years of history. They like VIP prostitution, for instance. They are very high profile.

But fortunately they do not represent a good percentage of the richs. The richs in Argentina, historically linked with the campo, with Barrio Norte, etc, lived in a more fair society. In fact, lots of them, the huge majority, studied in public schools, in UBA, etc, in a lot more integrated society.

Ferraris and luxuries are more from the 90s, not before, and they are still a very tiny minority. Again, not because there are not people who could afford it. Social concience or whatever you like to call it.

It doesnt have to do with import restrictions or with taxes, it has to do with the way argentines historically lived the wealth, how they were educated, etc.

Read better, I said comparing the continent. And dont you have that in Italy, in France, in Germany? ok, maybe there are not villas, but yes, you have people that earn 1500 euros month, and others that drive ferraris, or mercedes, or porsche.
Inequality is the sign of this times, world wide, a thousands times worse than it was 100 years ago.

BTW, if you knew better argentine society, you would know that Ferraris are not that common in Argentina. And not because money is an issue. It has to do with considering the otherness. Low profile. The richs in Argentina, at least the traditional richs, do not drive ferraris, thats a thing of new richs, which forrtunately do not represent more than 5% of the richs.

More bullshit from Matias. I didn't just make up the line about the Ferrari dingbat. This place currently has a Ferrari in the window (I walked by it two days ago)

https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/HECYMAR+S.A./@-34.580365,-58.404862,3a,75y,247h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shcXkLoZQyHP87G7yXmcHOQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fcb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile%26output%3Dthumbnail%26thumb%3D2%26panoid%3DhcXkLoZQyHP87G7yXmcHOQ%26w%3D223%26h%3D75%26yaw%3D247%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D120%26ll%3D-34.580365,-58.404862!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xd381a0277e720f80!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Which is exactly 3.4 km from Villa 31. It may be the only Ferrari in Buenos Aires, but it sort of contradicts your rhetoric about how egalitarian Argentina is.

Back