How To Make Many Baexpats Cry Of Joy?

jZXZ6Q8.jpg

is better

The shelf on the left looks just like my cupboard today. I buy Tasty Bites in bulk!

This is in he UK? Mostly junk except for Cream of Wheat, Hersheys

Who would buy Hershey when there's Cadbury around? Many American candies are available in UK (Snickers, Mars, Reese's...) AND made with sugar instead of HFCS.

irish butter, decent sharp cheese, hp sauce and proper (not US style, not my thing) back bacon in a nice floury belfast bap.

Once that settles, creamy cold pint of plain.

thats the most important part of my holiday in Ireland sorted. Other than that you can shove all that processed gunk masquerading as food where the sun dont shine.

Simple. Give them a super market in Argentina that has something like this:

H4wX9dN.jpg

It's funny I always miss those things when I'm here. Peanut butter Twix, Cadbury Cream Eggs, Captain Crunch Berries, Instand blueberry muffins. Then when I visit the States and I try them they don't seem as delicious as I remember. I think I got used to home baked things in the local panaderias and confiterias here.

I bought Salmon yesterday. $199/kilo. Almost had a heart attack. I had already planned dinner so I bought it anyway. :(

I bought Salmon yesterday. $199/kilo. Almost had a heart attack. I had already planned dinner so I bought it anyway. :(

That's a bargin, it's $220/kg in a lot of places.

On the other hand lomo is still $90/kg at my local carnicero; back home I paid USD 11/kg for Salmon and USD 44/kg for Lomo. I justify the ridiculous prices for seafood to myself by remembering that I very regularly dine on proteins whose price provoked a similar reaction when living in the states.

I had a funny moment when I went back to the States back in January, for the first time in nearly six years. There were so many things I wanted to eat, and I pretty well took care of all of them. Oh, I'll never forget the buffalo wing sandwich with tater tots we had for lunch one day at one of my folks' upscale watering holes that they like to visit. Yeah, heart-stopping but worth every bite.

But the one thing that got me most, believe it or not, was a simple little bunch of cheese sticks, individually wrapped in plastic, in my folks' fridge. It was the sort of thing I might have bought for my kids back when, to snack on. I actually hadn't had any cheese up until that point in my trip (I was raiding the fridge on my first night there at that point) and that was the only cheese they had. Seemed a little strange, but I opened one and bit into it...

OMG. Cheddar and jack mixed together, a sharp combination from both, not rubbery, a bit flaky although soft...it was a moment of heaven. I couldn't believe how good a fairly common cheese stick could be in relation to some of the best cheese I have found here, with just a very few exceptions. And I'd never considered this very good cheese compared to what I used to buy for myself.

Of course, I ate a lot of cheese while there. And US-style bacon, and sausage, made gumbo and enchiladas with everything I needed to do it right, learned how to make my mom's pie crust, which is so light and flaky that I've never seen anything like it anywhere else (still have three Crisco sticks I brought down with me to make a cherry and apple pie at some point)...

...sorry got carried away.

Yeah, the things offered in the original post don't interest me much either :)

I had a funny moment when I went back to the States back in January, for the first time in nearly six years. There were so many things I wanted to eat, and I pretty well took care of all of them. Oh, I'll never forget the buffalo wing sandwich with tater tots we had for lunch one day at one of my folks' upscale watering holes that they like to visit. Yeah, heart-stopping but worth every bite.

My non-American husband LOVES buffalo chicken sandwiches, buffalo chicken anything, really. He went nuts the first time he ate one. That's something I like but almost never order, but of course now I'm salivating just thinking about it... food with flavor sure is nice.

I would buy the canned pumpkin for Thanksgiving pumpkin pies. Also probably the peanut butter (though I'd prefer the reduced fat version). I used to buy those Flipz brand chocolate-covered pretzels in college because they were sold at the student lounge and I could use my meal plan to buy them, but I would buy the dark chocolate version.

I miss stuff from home, but not this. This aisle lacks Cholula and other hot sauces, cheese, spices, etc. I guess the issue is that many Americans abroad don't miss American mass-produced crap when we go grocery shopping, we miss international ingredients at affordable prices. I would kill for affordable coconut milk, for example. Even in barrio chino, the prices are just too insane, so it may as well not even be there as far as I'm concerned.

I also randomly really miss cheese danishes sometimes. The kind baked fresh, at a coffee shop. I bought a factura de ricotta at the panadería next door, thinking it could be something similar, but it wasn't good. It was your typical mega-sweet factura filled with ricotta cheese that had some white sugar mixed in it. How can you take ricotta cheese for a pastry and do nothing but mix white sugar into it? Why do I still waste time asking myself these things? Oh well.

Back