How To Not Pass For A Tourist?

actually, except for mate - this is a Berlin look!! reformed punk vs hippie ;)
But work perfectly to pass as a porteño well more than a porteño a provinciano (from the interior) but still do the trick, in Berlin i will replace the mate for a Club Mate bottle and i will cut a little shorter the hair in the sides :p

Thank you, this is really really helpful! Some questions:
-attitude. what is it and how do you project it
- if/when robbed - i bet i'd just freeze and stop thinking. do they want wallet, or just cash, do they spend time w you to get all jewelry, etc? throwing wallet to side requires preparation and ability to act in shock. do you carry 2nd wallet?
-in cafe/restaurants if inside or outdoor terrace - u still have hand on your purse? what if inside? what if you are in cafe, working on laptop, purse/backpack would be next to you as your hands on keyboard?
- are busy/crowded places more or less likely to have things happen? eg Sta Fe vs Arenales avenues?

Lol normally when you get robbed you would not realize it until you get to your home and your phone is not anymore on your pocket :0

Lol normally when you get robbed you would not realize it until you get to your home and your phone is not anymore on your pocket :0

oh, that's nice - they really care for your feelings! no traumatic robbery, nice and quiet instead ;)

"Expat" is a cover for all sins... no way you will be able to disguise that you are a farangi/tourist , However much depends on your ethnic group if you are Asian, Wasp, Latino, African, etc .

Concrete questions, if i may ask:
-do you/your GFs leave (small) diamond jewelry at home - eg rings? semi-precious stone things - eg small earrings /necklaces? if one is mugged, do they ask for all wallet (ie credit cards/ID/cash) or one has time to pull out cash to hand over? do they stay there while you remove your jewelry??? these are silly, i truly don't know. i do know not to fight back.
I wear a diamond ring every day as well as another quite noticeable ring. My porteña friends think I'm crazy to wear them, esp the diamond but honestly, they're not common here so I think people assume it is fake ;) I don't however wear gold jewelry or an expensive watch as those 2 things do seem to attract attention from muggers. In re mugging - typically they're going to snatch your bag (motochorro or grab it from a table). If they actually mug you on the street with a knife, they have usually targeted you in advance and will say "give me your watch/necklace/whatever" (or at least that's what happened to my friends.) For example, my friend had his Rolex stolen. We were pretty sure the waiter saw it and called a friend b/c 10 minutes after he left the restaurant, he was walking down the street and the thief came up behind him and said "Give me your Rolex." They knew specifically what they were after and there's no way they would have known he had it on randomly since he had on a long-sleeved shirt that covered the watch. Rolex/Cartier watches by the way, pretty much a guarantee you're getting robbed if you wear one.

- say you want to wear pretty quality shoes (not flashy/designer) shoes or clothing - does it attract attention?
I wore my very expensive designer shoes everywhere. I stopped b/c the streets are crap here and walking in 4+ inch heels is a recipe for disaster on a cracked sidewalk. Plus your nice shoes get ruined b/c the heels get marked and mangled from all the cracks in the sidewalks. Heels do get noticed here (designer or otherwise) b/c they're not super common due to the terrible sidewalks. After swearing I would NEVER wear flats, I have become a flat wearing girl. My pretty shoes sit in the closet and cry ;)

same for bag - eg mine is lime green patent leather, medium size, yet it's old and not logo - would that stand out too much? and am i right to prefer carrying it under arm vs over shoulder or in hand?
Again, I use designer bags. No one is going to notice. The trick is you want to have hold of it in case someone tries to snatch it on the street. So if you have a strap, put it across your body. If you are carrying a clutch, keep a good grip on it.

- and again, keys/moneys - if you do need to leave your purse at your table - do people have some strange inner pockets/corsage hiding places? ;)
Don't ever leave your purse at the table.

If you were going to a gym, or run in a park, or a milonga (tango dancing), and needed to leave your purse behind , either at home or at your table in a crowded milonga - what do you do? Keys, credit card, ATM card, driving license/ID, cash? You are a woman and are wearing a skirt, no pockets?

For running, my wife suggests a fanny pack or putting cell/keys in the middle of a good sports bra. For going out dancing, best practice is to check your purse in at the coat check area - guardarropa. You will be best served to develop a habit here of always keeping your purse, bags, backpack, etc in direct line of site. You cannot leave something at a table. In a crowded place it's best you don't even turn your back on your things for a moment, especially if you are engaged in something such as a conversation or texting on your phone, etc.. It is also strategic to take the bare minimum of things with you - only the cash and credit cards that you really intend to use.

For running, my wife suggests a fanny pack or putting cell/keys in the middle of a good sports bra. For going out dancing, best practice is to check your purse in at the coat check area - guardarropa. You will be best served to develop a habit here of always keeping your purse, bags, backpack, etc in direct line of site. You cannot leave something at a table. In a crowded place it's best you don't even turn your back on your things for a moment, especially if you are engaged in something such as a conversation or texting on your phone, etc.. It is also strategic to take the bare minimum of things with you - only the cash and credit cards that you really intend to use.

Remember someone snatched a purse from Pres Bush's daughter in San Telmo Fair on a bright Sunday noon. Bodyguards and all...!!

I think they "finessed" it out of their security ring, no snatching.
No violence involved.

Back