Uk No Passport No House Rental ... God Save Permatourists

Rich One

Registered
The Guardian announced that without Passport one can't rent a dwelling in the UK, to make it hard for illegal immigrants to survive..! Fines and prison for offending landlords :confused:

As part of the government’s drive to “create a hostile environment for illegal migrants in Britain”, ministers have outlined plans to allow illegal migrants to be evicted without a court order and for the maximum £3,000 fine on landlords who are found to be willful repeat offenders to be raised to a possible five years in prison.

http://www.theguardi...ay-by-landlords

Who is an illegal immigrant? Anybody who can't or want take legal residency in the UK?

Who is an illegal immigrant? Anybody who can't or want take legal residency in the UK?

[font=Guardian Text Egyptian Web']The Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants said that many migrants from outside the EU were having problems proving they had a right to live in the UK.[/font]
[font=Guardian Text Egyptian Web']Ministers have announced that the requirement for landlords to check on the immigration status of potential tenants is to be toughened and rolled out across the country even before an official evaluation of the West Midlands pilot scheme has been completed[/font]

One can picture raids on homes and both the illegals and the landlord being dragged to jail. Maybe CFK and Kici will follow suit

That is obvious, what I wanted to know is if I can go live in the UK without ever registering as a resident, being a EU citizen.

This measure isn't aimed at EU migrants (to the chagrin of some Brits, I might add).

That is obvious, what I wanted to know is if I can go live in the UK without ever registering as a resident, being a EU citizen.

Yes you can. You are "requested" to register with the UK after 3 months of living there but no one can force you to do so.

To keep Poles, Bulgarians and Rome people out ....!

Not unusual Mrs, Thatcher was against the Eurochunnel she feared the French Garlic smell might invade through the tunnel B)

Yes you can. You are "requested" to register with the UK after 3 months of living there but no one can force you to do so.

Is it really that simple? I don't have to prove I am supporting myself?

God bless the EU.

Is it really that simple? I don't have to prove I am supporting myself?

God bless the EU.

If you decide to register with the UK, you have to prove that you either have enough money to support yourself, you're studying, you're looking for a job (proven by showing job applications you've filled out) or you're working (self employed or employed by a company). But yes, just because of the fact that you hold an EU passport, you have the right to live in the UK indefinitely without having to prove anything. And vice versa, of course.

EDIT:

There are some states that this does not apply to. Bulgaria and Romania being two of them.

Thanks for the info. Living in the UK is an experience that sounds worth it. I am not interested in moving there long term because it is very expensive, but I am collecting numbers and info as we are speaking for a 1-2 years move.

Back