How to open a bank account

rosstheexpat

Registered
How do you open a bank account in Argentina? (I'm a US citizen). Is it easy? Which bank do you recommend?

As I understand it, you would need to have permanent residence or Argentine citizenship (and thus the accompanying DNI number) to do so.

This may not apply to Argentine branches of international banks with whom you may also bank in the US.

Residency or DNI is not required by all banks. You just have to find a bank willing to work with you. I helped a friend in November get an account at Banco Frances.

As a non-resident foreigner, the will likely ask you for your passport, a CDI number (tax payer ID), which you can obtain at many AFIP offices (same day), and one or two utility bills on your name. They will only offer you a savings account, and may sign you up for home insurance with the account, which you can cancel after the first month. They will also want a small deposit to open the account (few hundred pesos).

So how can you go about obtain permanent residence in Argentina? Is it easy? How much would it cost?

rosstheexpat said:
So how can you go about obtain permanent residence in Argentina? Is it easy? How much would it cost?

Click on search and go to advanced search.

Enter the words "permanent residency in the box on the left and search titles only (use the drop down menu).

You will find eleven threads with permanent residency in the title...including:

Permanent Residency...after having Temporary Residency, what are the documents reqrd?

Permanent residency requires three years of temporary residency.

You can use the search engine to research that, too.

2GuysInPM said:
Residency or DNI is not required by all banks. You just have to find a bank willing to work with you. I helped a friend in November get an account at Banco Frances.

As a non-resident foreigner, the will likely ask you for your passport, a CDI number (tax payer ID), which you can obtain at many AFIP office (same day), and one or two utility bills on your name. They will only offer you a savings account, and may sign you up for home insurance with the account, which you can cancel after the first month. They will also want a small deposit to open the account (few hundred pesos).

It is really difficult to get the utility bills in your name unless you own an apartment, but I think Banco Nacion may accept health insurance and cell phone bills. Its easy to get insurance with a passport, but almost impossible to get a cell phone contract without a DNI. Try Itau.

steveinbsas said:
It is really difficult to get the utility bills in your name unless you own an apartment, but I think Banco Nacion may accept health insurance and cell phone bills. Its easy to get insurance with a passport, but almost impossible to get a cell phone contract without a DNI. Try Itau.

True. In the case of my friend, the bills were not on his name. It was just a formality, and they only wanted something with the address on it. But your mileage may vary.

Back