How tough is it to go and live in the USA

Liam - was that recently? In the last 10 years or so, the gov't has gotten much more strict about it. Yes, of course one can and many do work illegally (typically in jobs like construction, agriculture, the service industry such as waiters/bartenders/etc). It certainly can be done. However it's not as easy as it once was and again, given the unemployment, there are a lot more legal candidates to do these types of jobs than there once was.

To be fair it was back in 2002/03, and I appreciate that with the current economic climate it is far less practical than it was. Having said that, I still know people working illegally in the US from home (I mean from Ireland).

It just gets me mad when people say something is impossible and denegrate other posters who speak from their own experiences.

It used to be that when undocumented workers were caught, they were the only ones punished. Employers got off scot free by claiming they had been deceived.

Some years ago the law was changed, and employers are now held responsible for checking that their employees are documented. That changed the game.

It's definitely possible - just not easy.

And SaraSara is right - employers (esp corps and companies) are *much* more strict about it after getting hit with huge fines - esp those that once employed large numbers of low-skill workers. Many companies not only require the proof of identity and eligibility to work, they will run those numbers through a background check to make sure they match. That way, even if someone has acquired a real SSN but it doesn't match the name on their ID, the system flags it.

bigbadwolf said:
I've already told you that is bollocks. I doubt you've even visited the USA. Why are you giving wrong information? I'm a naturalised US citizen who has had to show work authorisation at each stage of the game. H1B, when I applied for permanent residency, when I got permanent residency, and when I became a citizen. I've worked for several companies in the US. The procedure is standard: they have to fill out a form showing you have work authorisation in the US. I repeat (and am writing slowly so it pierces your thick skull): why are you posting misleading drivel?

what?

say anything - please reconfirm your ignorance!

syngirl said:
Ummm -- we tip. We just don't tip stoopid amounts like 25%. And we don't tip on tax. Especially when liquor tax is 17%.

For immigration:

Count on anywhere between 8 months and 18months for your paperwork to go through.

About 1000 dollars for the process between different fees.

27,000 dollars CAD in your back account for one person to be able to apply I believe (you can check the CIC website for the current figures) and an additional few thousand for each additional applicant.

this is the first I've heard about the bank account requirement. 27,000 CAD?? :eek:

is that if you want residency or citizenship or just a work permit??

esllou said:
I don't recognise green? :confused:
I was trying to make a longbow joke. Since you're changing one "green pasture" for unknown another. Nothing to be offended.

To be honest I haven't looked for awhile -- I *MAY* be mistaken -- I know for sponsoring a spouse there is definitely a minimum income requirement. For the skilled worker class without a job offer I think you also need X amount of money to be able to go otherwise they'll refuse you because they know you'll be a mooch on the system, lol. Check it out though -- cic.gc.ca -- unfortunately the last time I was on there I could only find this years requirement by downloading the whole application form.

Hopefully for you it is just an income requirement for sponsoring family, and not for skilled workers.

However, even for getting a tourist visa into Canada you have to present your bank account statements. And to get my working holiday for the UK 10 years ago I needed something like 6 or 8k in my bank account, so don't be surprised if there is a requirement -- it is a double-edged sword though -- meant to keep out people that mooch, but really also encourages the people that don't have that cash to go in illegally.

pikto99 said:
I was trying to make a longbow joke. Since you're changing one "green pasture" for unknown another. Nothing to be offended.

I thought it might have been something about green cards! :D

syngirl said:
To be honest I haven't looked for awhile -- I *MAY* be mistaken -- I know for sponsoring a spouse there is definitely a minimum income requirement. For the skilled worker class without a job offer I think you also need X amount of money to be able to go otherwise they'll refuse you because they know you'll be a mooch on the system, lol. Check it out though -- cic.gc.ca -- unfortunately the last time I was on there I could only find this years requirement by downloading the whole application form.

Hopefully for you it is just an income requirement for sponsoring family, and not for skilled workers.

However, even for getting a tourist visa into Canada you have to present your bank account statements. And to get my working holiday for the UK 10 years ago I needed something like 6 or 8k in my bank account, so don't be surprised if there is a requirement -- it is a double-edged sword though -- meant to keep out people that mooch, but really also encourages the people that don't have that cash to go in illegally.

to be honest, I wish the States was like that...requiring that you need 50k just to show you won't be a parasite.

So you think I could go to canada (regina, no less!!) and get a job offer (probably teaching) and take it from there. It all sounds a zillion times simpler than the US system. And one thing Canada has a lot of is space for new arrivals! I'd feel like a pioneer!

yee haw! :)

Back