How tough is it to go and live in the USA

bigbadwolf said:
Anywhere you go for a job in the US, you have to show you are eligible to work (unless the work is off-the-books). The employer has to fill out a form showing that he has examined your identification and eligibility to work. You have to produce either authorisation from Immigration, or a Green Card, or documentation showing you are a US citizen. In short, you are talking utter bilgewater.

I think not . . .

A&A said:
no tipping v. tipping

Ummm -- we tip. We just don't tip stoopid amounts like 25%. And we don't tip on tax. Especially when liquor tax is 17%.

Anyway regarding immigration --

Yes it is a point system, ie you get points for languages, degrees, work experience, age etc. If you are applying with a partner then you both get points. The higher your education the more points, the better your language skills more points.

You can apply either to Canada, or if you intend to live in Quebec AND have French skills you can apply to Quebec directly. However if you don't have French skills, it's not really worth applying to Quebec, because even if you do want to live there, you still can after going via Immigration Canada, but if you have 0 French Quebec probably isn't going to approve you anyway.

Time for processing depends on 1) your points 2) processing times in your region.

To immigrate as skilled worker you will need an approved profession that is included on the NOC list provided on Immigration Canada's website. You can increase your chances of approval if you already have a job offer.

HOWEVER: Even though your Engineering / Medical / Law degree may give you the points necessary to get IN to Canada, you may not actually be allowed to practise your profession once you arrive, as these professions are very strictly monitored and many require that you complete at least one year of Canadian work experience at a junior level before allowing you to practise. You may even be required to go back to university before you are allowed to practise. This is something that many immigrants to canada do not research before they arrive, and only find out once they've spent all their money to get there that they actually need more money to send themselves back to school and thousands of dollars to re-write professional exams. This is why half the cab drivers in Toronto actually are engineers and medical doctors, they only later found out they can't actually practise in Canada.

Right now unemployment rates are 10 - 12% in many regions of Canada. As an immigrant you could easily be looking at 1 year to find a job in this market.

When you apply to Canada you get a Permanent Residency card. This is not a permanent card. You must live in the country for a certain amount of days every year and file your taxes or your card will expire. After I believe 3 years of residency you are allowed to apply for citizenship. You do not have to, but if you stick only to your permanent residency card and leave the country at some point for more than a couple of years, your card will be revoked.

One difference with Canada and the USA: Marrying a Canadian does not get you residency. Even if you marry a Canadian you must still go through the immigration process and you may actually be rejected.

For immigration:

Count on anywhere between 8 months and 18months for your paperwork to go through.

About 1000 dollars for the process between different fees.

27,000 dollars CAD in your back account for one person to be able to apply I believe (you can check the CIC website for the current figures) and an additional few thousand for each additional applicant.

The easiest way to get to Canada:

1) With a job offer, if they do the paperwork for you you don't even need to worry about how much money in your bank account

The easiest way to integrate into Canada if you're a non-english speaking immigrant:

Go back to school. Otherwise any employer is going to want to see minimum 12 months Canadian work experience on your CV and it's a pain in the butt to get. However if you have a degree from a Canadian university then you don't even have to worry about it.

Both the USA and Canada rank when viewed on the standard of living you have based on what you can expect to earn are very high. However you need to keep in mind averages are just that. As a new immigrant I would avoid high cost big cities in both countries in favor of more affordable small or medium cities.

gouchobob said:
Both the USA and Canada rank when viewed on the standard of living you have based on what you can expect to earn are very high. However you need to keep in mind averages are just that. As a new immigrant I would avoid high cost big cities in both countries in favor of more affordable small or medium cities.

Right on target. Also, if you're willing to move to Regina, Saskatchewan, you could be there full visa and all in probably less than 3 months. They're desperate for people.

Oh, another difference between US and Canada -- taxes taxes taxes. Canada isn't a place to be a millionaire, your taxes get too high.

fromtheneighborhood said:
I think not . . .

I've already told you that is bollocks. I doubt you've even visited the USA. Why are you giving wrong information? I'm a naturalised US citizen who has had to show work authorisation at each stage of the game. H1B, when I applied for permanent residency, when I got permanent residency, and when I became a citizen. I've worked for several companies in the US. The procedure is standard: they have to fill out a form showing you have work authorisation in the US. I repeat (and am writing slowly so it pierces your thick skull): why are you posting misleading drivel?

fromtheneighborhood said:
I think not . . .

By the way, I seem to be the unwilling recipient of personal messages from you. I didn't solicit them. I've already deleted one unread. I'm about to do the same again. Please desist. Capiche?

A&A said:
...Tim Horton's v. Dunkin Dounuts...

There are Tim Horton's opening in the US now. I walked into, I believe, the very first one in the US in NYC a few months ago. It didn't look like they were doing very well (when we walked in it seemed like we were their first customers all week; had like five people serve me a cup of coffee) but, hey, best of luck to them.

Actually, out of curiosity, I just checked their website and there are now 11 NYC locations:

http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/about/nyc.html

So now I'm worried that Canadians are taking over. Did they learn nothing from The South Park Movie?! Don't you mess with us, Canada... ;)

Reactions: A&A
The Tim Horton's in town are fairly new. Apparently, Dunkin Donuts got into a spat with the Riese restaurant group and pulled their licensing from Riese ((or vice versa). Riese basically seems like some fast food chain management co that has a lot of operations around Midtown/Madison Sq. Garden)).

So, Riese I believe must have approached Tim Horton's as a substitute. We'll see how it goes. I have yet to try it out as my wife is a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts coffee and the "liquid sugar" use.

Mmmm... Timbits!

Dunkin Donuts in NYC is gross. DD outside of NY is yummy.

Now I'm craving a big cup of coffee.

Without adding fuel to a fire here - As an Irish citizen, never having had a work permit/visa/EAD for the USA in the past, I have worked in the US, without ever being asked, or expected to have, any authorisation. I freely admit that this was with the full knowledge of my employers, and despite working "illegally", I wasn't exploited wage wise either - I simply worked under the eye of the IRS for a while.

I'm not claiming to be proud of this, or bragging for the sake of it, just making a point that if you speak English as a native, you can get away with things working outside of corporate America. Absolutely I expect any professionals to be asked to show authorisation, but that is not to say that many can, and do, get away without it.

Back