How tough is it to go and live in the USA

http://www.cic.gc.ca/

I believe to get a temporary work permit you have to have a ob offer first -- you can't just apply for one on your own and then arrive and look for a job. The work permit is based on the contract that you have already signed.

If you want to come on your own without a job offer you have to get the skilled worker visa.

are you allowed to seek work on a tourist visa, then applying for a work permit once you get an offer?

According to that well known propagator of Urban Legends, the New York Times, the United States Government, another specious body without proof, estimates that illegal aliens using phony social security numbers will pay off 15% of the longterm debt of the SS Administration.

Do you understand how SSA really works? Do you think there is no matching numbers of passports and or Naturalization Certificates besides or alongside with EACH and EVERY record? Do you know that there is 1 letter misspelled and you'll be flooded with requests and contacts from SSA? And these fake SSN's even brought "some revenue". So clearly, SSA should just cover their eyes and let illegals feed their bankrupted body.

Secondly, read carefully: "And another vital thing happened in 1996: the Internal Revenue Service began issuing identification numbers to enable illegal immigrants who don't have Social Security numbers to file taxes."

NY Times surely well known as a "propagator" of anything. I recently called to GA State based Google HR and speak with Mr> So and So after I've red about "how single mom making $3458.99 in one month!!!" crap that was posted under ur glorified source. And that fellow "Google'r" re-assured me that Google HR is overloaded with Gigabytes of resumes in such regards. Simply bc their "correspondents" could write under alias names or so about any type of "bodasity".

esllou said:
So you think I could go to canada (regina, no less!!) and get a job offer (probably teaching) and take it from there. It all sounds a zillion times simpler than the US system. And one thing Canada has a lot of is space for new arrivals! I'd feel like a pioneer!

yee haw! :)

No, that's not how it works -- I think you could go for a visit, and maybe see about a job, but you'd have to go home and do the paperwork from there, or at least cross to the States, but then you need permission to stay in the States while waiting for a temporary work visa to come through.

If you want to go on your own you need the skilled worker visa:

Skilled workers:

1. According to the eligibility criteria, your application is eligible for processing if:

• you have an offer of arranged employment, OR
  • you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
  • you are a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience* in one or more of the occupations listed here.

2. If your application is eligible for processing, you must also meet the following minimum requirements to qualify as a skilled worker:

• you have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment, AND
  • your work experience must be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification list, AND
  • you must have had this experience within the last 10 years.

3. If you meet these minimum requirements, your application will then be processed according to the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid. The six selection factors are:

• your education
  • your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages
  • your work experience
  • your age
  • whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
  • your adaptability.
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada.

So you'll have to find out what that number is -- it may be the $27k

Read this page -- for Temp worker visa it says you almost have to apply from outside of Canada:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp

To apply for a work permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following documents:

• a job offer from a Canadian employer
  • a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
  • written confirmation from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.
    • In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. Information on the labour market opinion is found under Information for Canadian employers on the right-hand side of this page.
    • In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion. (See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.)
You must also do the following:

• Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
  • Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
  • Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Police Certificates for more information.
  • Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
  • Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

Listen, why. Why would u go to US? This is great looking country but certainly at one of the worst times to enter (my humble opinion). Remember old Chinese were saying about "interesting times"?

For one skilled worker right now they have :

$11,086 CAD in savings

So the 27k must just be for sponsoring family

thanks syngirl. So any job offer must come when I'm outside canada. The part about "Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit." - wouldn't that prevent me making it more permanent during my stay there?

also, I might qualify for the skilled worker visa - would an ESL teacher come under "college or vocational instructor"?? Possibly.

esllou said:
to be honest, I wish the States was like that...requiring that you need 50k just to show you won't be a parasite.

So you think I could go to canada (regina, no less!!) and get a job offer (probably teaching) and take it from there. It all sounds a zillion times simpler than the US system. And one thing Canada has a lot of is space for new arrivals! I'd feel like a pioneer!

yee haw! :)

With all this Canada talk, I think we might just look into it as well. I'm not going to Regina though. I can't pronounce Saskatuanadahagah........

Back