How well are you adjusting abroad?

lizhallaine

Registered
i hope this is not going to turn into another rant about how there is no marmite her or it's hard to get peanut butter...

What a waste of time, most of the questions are asked over again, just in the negative eg:

I have a good imagination..
then further down,
I do not have a good imagination.

I seldom feel depressed.
and then
I often feel depressed.

What is the point of this.. you could cut down the questions by 1/2 by just getting rid of the doubled-up questions. Anyways its to long for me to waste my time doing this...

I think its set up this way to eliminate inconsistencies. All the long surveys I have taken, eg Myers Briggs, is set up this way.

I did several pages with good intention but gave up. Would be better divided up in sections for those less patient!!

Hey guys,

I'm sorry you find it redundant or too long. I did a lot of pilot testing to reduce redundancies but unfortunately, those questions are to keep the measurement valid, reliable, and to make sure participants are just arbitrarily answering questions. Thanks for at least taking the time to check out my survey and sorry it was disappointing for you. Have a great day.

Liz

After reading the first page of questions without answering any and not being able to continue I quit this "a short online survey" that, at least to that point had no questions pertaining to my well-being abroad.

I just looked like a 60's stlye psych test to me.

There were no questions about moving to or living in a foreign country.

And I see no reason for anyone here to participate.

I completed it and past the first page it does have questions pertaining to living and working abroad.

I just "completed" the survey by answering all of the questions, but I did not send it (I just clicked on 1 or 7 to get through it and I don't want to intentionally screw up the results).

Yes, there are questions about living and working abroad, but if it's really about adjustment I'm not going to participate.

I remember a psych course in college called the paychology of adjustment. I know people have to learn to adjust to some things in life...like becoming physically disabled or the death of a loved one, or going to prision....usually involuntary incidents.

For me living abroad was a choice. There were too many negatives for me to stay in BA...just as there were too many negatives for me to stay in the US or Mexico. I couldn't adjust (especially to the noise of my neighbors' dogs and music in Mexico...or the noise and crime in BA) so I moved.

I have no desire to leave my present location. I didn't have to adjust here because I finally found just about everything I was looking for, but I did have to adapt. I had to learn enough Spansih to get what I want when I want it, including things like an appointment with a doctor, medicine from a pharmacist, a good locksmith, and citizenship in the country.

I've also begun to adapt my environment to offset inflation by growing my own food.

There was no way in the survey for me to include these details.

Back