How would I live in BA on 18,000 Pesos/month

don't worry about health insurance

if you dont get sick you don't need it

I think the Net wage will be more in the 14 K. You have 19K less 18.5% social taxes: 15,5 K less income taxes...: here are the results from a website. Is A LOT of money, you are almost high class overnight. If you cannot live with that in BA, you have serious problems of money management.

Mes normal Mes con aguinaldo Salario bruto $ 19000 $ 28500 Retencion Jubilacion $ 1526.69 $ 2290.04 Retencion Ob.Social $ 416.37 <="" span="">$ 624.56 Retencion INSSJP $ 416.37 $ 624.56 Retencion Impuesto a
las ganancias $ 2670 $ 3844 Neto resultante(*) $ 13970.57 $ 21116.86

I think it all depends on how dependent the girlfriend is...;)

The idea of renting a long term apartment might not work if Nick is going to be here for two years but the company is going to pay for a furnished place for the first six months.

I think his time will be better spent looking for a temporary apartment that he can stay in for the last 18 months than trying to find a long term apartment and furnishing it. The loss on the sale of the furnishings could be much greater than the premium he will pay by renting short term.

Mark, if it's a nice day today, take a walk in Barrio Parque. See the maids sweeping sidewalks, the butlers polishing Porches, the guards in their booths guarding the mansions. That's upper class in BA. $18K pesos won't get you close, la Nacion currently lists a smallish apartment there for $25K pesos/month. I think a lot of potential expats get some very misleading info on these threads.

jb5 said:
Mark, if it's a nice day today, take a walk in Barrio Parque. See the maids sweeping sidewalks, the butlers polishing Porches, the guards in their booths guarding the mansions. That's upper class in BA. $18K pesos won't get you close, la Nacion currently lists a smallish apartment there for $25K pesos/month. I think a lot of potential expats get some very misleading info on these threads.

Well, I personally have found dozens and dozens of beautifully furnished apartments in Palermo, Puerto Madero and Recoleta for less than $US 2000 a month. I am personally going to rent a loft in Palermo for less than $US 1300 a month..I currently pay $1500 a month for rent in a studio here in Manhattan that of course I furnished myself. BsAs is not as cheap as it was but it is an absolute bargain compared to most cities in the US...18500 is only 4,400 dollars but I can't see why he wouldn't be able to live in a decent area for that amount of money..this place is still cheap..and I don't think expats want to live with the old money in Barrio Parque..

Now if he is getting a furnished apartment paid for I suggest he invest on furniture for an unfurnished apartment while his company continues to do this for him. That way once they are no longer paying his rent he can just move into a unfurnished place (there are many and they are a lot cheaper than something furnished)

@jb5: Oops, you are right, probably my definition of "high class" means more "middle-high" from Belgrano "C" or something like it. You always look what you have around and define income accordingly. For me those people with Porsches etc are "hyper-rich" and I don´t know that world at all.

Still, 14K in hand.. not bad, not bad. And I put "almost" (hehe), so I am off the hook (I don´t want an angry expat girlfriend chasing me on the streets of BA yelling "you promised us that we were going to be part of the Jockey Club crowd!!")

Back