How would I live in BA on 18,000 Pesos/month

ChicagoNick

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am new here. I have a very simple question. I'm weighing an offer from my company to move down to BA for two years to work in an office we have there. In order for me to be legal the need to pay me in pesos, not dollars. Kind of worried about that given what I'm reading everywhere about inflation. And on top of that, it equals about 20% less in dollars than what I am making now in Chicago.

Actually really worried about it and thinking it will be a deal breaker for me. So before I make a decision, I thought I'd solicit the opinion of you smart folks who live there. The company is offering me 18,000 pesos / month. Also free housing, but just for the first six months. After that I'll need to find a place of my own. I have a girl friend who would probably be with me writing her dissertation.

I think it would be an amazing experience, but I am not sure about the risk / cost of living / inflation, etc.

Thanks for your advice!

As warren miller always said "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do."

Is that 18k net or gross? Either way its more than most middle class argentines make. Are you going to be financially supporting your girlfriend? If you are you just went from fairly luxurious to comfortable. But its still good. Get paid in pesos, your expenses are in pesos and save in dollars. I think you'll do well.

Thanks for the quick reply. 18k gross... And, yes, I imagine I would be supporting her. It's okay though, there was a time when she was supporting me!

Good quote. Not sure the offer would still stand one I'm one year older though ;0

So basically we'd be 'okay'. Not the lap of luxury, but not scraping by. Just worried if that would be true in a year from now though...

No one can predict the future Nick.

18k/month would make you quite well off down here.

My name is Nick and I moved here from Chicago. Eerie.

I'm spending about 7k pesos down here a month (including everything) and live pretty nicely. I have my own loft apartment and eat out a few times a week.

18k is plenty, including your girlfriend.

C' mon... are you kiddyng?. All you people think that this is a real thread??... is obious that this guy the only thing that he wants its let us know that he'll gonna earn 18 thounsands!... (which who I doubt in fact). Dont be silly answering him. By the way... a company its ofering me 20.000/day... should I say yes?... any help its wellcome.

Thanks for the candid feedback. The last comment from Brigadier doesn't even warrant a reply.... Unless if maybe the person thinks I was talking US dollars. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were mistaken. I am talking about Argentine Pesos. That's about $4,200 dollars before tax. I keep hearing that BA is no longer cheaper than the states. I don't make much more than that in Chicago and it affords me a pretty modest lifestyle. And inflation isn't such a big deal here in the US (yet). So that is why I have been concerned.

ChicagoNick said:
Thanks for the candid feedback. The last comment from Brigadier doesn't even warrant a reply.... Unless if maybe the person thinks I was talking US dollars. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were mistaken. I am talking about Argentine Pesos. That's about $4,200 dollars before tax. I keep hearing that BA is no longer cheaper than the states. I don't make much more than that in Chicago and it affords me a pretty modest lifestyle. And inflation isn't such a big deal here in the US (yet). So that is why I have been concerned.

He's probably argentine and probably surprised that someone would ask if 18,000 pesos is a lot because with what people get by with here, you could live fantastically on that salary and save, assuming you don't lose more than maybe a third after tax (I don't know the rates)

I'm a 22 year old guy and I took a job that pays 5K pesos net a month here versus net salaries three times that in the states. I live great but don't buy luxurious things or eat at expensive restaurants that often, and I only save about 500-600 pesos a month or so.

My recommendation after living here two months is that you should absolutely take that opportunity, especially if you can return to your previous life once you go back with the same company.

Also I rent a room in recoleta (a nice neighborhood) for $450 USD /month. You could get a solid studio apartment in a nice area for $1000 USD and one bedroom for $1500, and those are estimates are on the high end.

Thanks Xeneizes. I appreciate that advice. It sounds like for the time being, I'd be all set with the offer. I would definitely have my job back afterwards as this is all through the same company. It's basically a transfer, but I'd be under the payroll / HR of the Argentinian subsidy.

Do you worry about what things will be like in a year or two though? I guess I shouldn't be so hung up on that. No one has a crystal ball! ;0

By the way, I think you are right about Brigadier. Also looks like he is not so kind to foreigners. Found a post he made: http://baexpats.org/expat-life/17130-how-many-you-want-leave-bs-5.html#post125447

And that I only bring up, not because it bugs me in this thread, but makes me wonder about what it'll be like once I get down there. Do you get a lot of hostility from the locals like that? That doesn't sound like fun and might be something else to consider that I hadn't even thought of...

Hi Nick.. You will have no problems getting by on 18k pesos per month, and if i was you, and if its an option i would be opting to get 1/2 the salary paid in arg in pesos and the other put into the bank in the US.. forced saving, plus you would live more like a local.. Most skilled (lawyers/IT guys/teachers at foreign schools) locals are only getting around the 5k to 6k a month, and most everyone else is on around 3k.

If you are thinking of doing it, do it, things change and it might not be an option next year !!!

Back