I Am A Chinese Now Living In Ba Learning Tango

English is not her native language, she obviously didn't understand your question. So instead of trying to lecture her on how to be more professional and "serious" when she was just trying to be friendly, you should first try to be more "serious" yourself instead of asking such a silly question: asking a person from Shanghai to declare her rates for Cantonese is like asking an Argentinean to declare his rates for French.

Thank you for your silly advise, Big daddy.

She seemed to be able to write English ( either with or without a translator). She could then understand the question too ( with or without the translator).

English is not her first language. She didn't say she teaches English. She said she teaches Chinese.

You used the phrase "declare your rates" which I thought was strange. That's not common English. I've spoken English now for 49 years and I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that term in that way. It's obvious from her response that she either didn't understand the question or didn't know how to phrase the answer correctly.

Since English is, apparently, your first language it would seem that you would be a bit more patient and generous in your response.

English is not her first language. She didn't say she teaches English. She said she teaches Chinese.

You used the phrase "declare your rates" which I thought was strange. That's not common English. I've spoken English now for 49 years and I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that term in that way. It's obvious from her response that she either didn't understand the question or didn't know how to phrase the answer correctly.

Since English is, apparently, your first language it would seem that you would be a bit more patient and generous in your response.

Agreed with your point, politely put across. Thanks

On another note "declare" has many meanings/synonyms. Some of them being reveal/divulge/make public/publish/broadcast. or "make public your teaching rates to the forum".

I doubt, I used wrong English here. It may be a uncommon way to use it. But langauge is so wide with endless possibilities. I agree, I should have used very simple English words with a Chinese speaking person.

https://www.google.com.ar/#q=declare

I don't think his advise was silly. Many people here go mad when they hear (very) common questions in the US such as: "Oh, you're moving to Buenos Aires! Do you speak Brazilian?". In all fairness, asking a person from Shanghai if they teach Cantonese (a completely different language) is pretty much the same.

I don't think his advise was silly. Many people here go mad when they hear (very) common questions in the US such as: "Oh, you're moving to Buenos Aires! Do you speak Brazilian?". In all fairness, asking a person from Shanghai if they teach Cantonese (a completely different language) is pretty much the same.

You wouldn't believe how many of my friends thought Buenos Aires was in Brazil. We're talking people with college degrees here, but they still asked me about "that giant statue of Jesus in F&F 5". Oh well...

would you like to declare your rates for teaching Mandarin o Cantonese?
It seems that Shelley liked your question but she did not understood it fully.

She probably can understand if asked for instance>
Shelly, how much do you charge an hour for teaching Chinese.? Do you do men to men classes? Do you do in-home private teaching.? Do you charge in Dollar or in Pesos? If i pay you in US$, do I get a better rate ( teaching fee ) etc. I would like you to take me to the best Chinese restaurant but of course, I pay for Dinner etc.!

It seems that Shelley liked your question but she did not understood it fully.

She probably can understand if asked for instance>
Shelly, how much do you charge an hour for teaching Chinese.? Do you do men to men classes? Do you do in-home private teaching.? Do you charge in Dollar or in Pesos? If i pay you in US$, do I get a better rate ( teaching fee ) etc. I would like you to take me to the best Chinese restaurant but of course, I pay for Dinner etc.!

Well said my friend, Hybrid san.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Shelly, how much do you charge an hour for teaching Chinese.? Do you do men to men classes? Do you do in-home private teaching.? Do you charge in Dollar or in Pesos? If i pay you in US$, do I get a better rate ( teaching fee ) etc. I would like you to take me to the best Chinese restaurant but of course, I pay for Dinner etc.![/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Shelly, how much do you charge an hour for teaching Chinese.? Do you do men to men classes? Do you do in-home private teaching.? Do you charge in Dollar or in Pesos? If i pay you in US$, do I get a better rate ( teaching fee ) etc. I would like you to take me to the best Chinese restaurant but of course, I pay for Dinner etc.![/background]

OK, grasshopper, you are assimilating it. Now, after Dinner ask her,Ah barriga llena y contento, ahora vamos a mi casa o tu lugar?

In all fairness, asking a person from Shanghai if they teach Cantonese (a completely different language) is pretty much the same.

In all fairness, I had originally said

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]would you like to declare your rates for teaching Mandarin o Cantonese?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Unquote[/background]

Back