I hate dulce de leche

I can't say that I like DDL very much, but I now may be addicted to it in the form of Terrabusi alfajors (which are also a delivery system for chocolate as well as beef fat). I prefer the Brownie version to the Classico, but the former has not been available for several months (even at Walmart), perhaps due to a shorter summer shelf life.

If I eat just one in the late afternoon I have no desire to eat meat or drink any alcohol all evening. I would export them to the US and sell them to alcoholism treatment centers, but I would probably be criticized for substituting one addiction for another.

At least you can eat them and drive.

Sounds like Charlie Sheen and his chocolate milk...maybe we should send him a box!

My Argentine husband eats DDL by the tablespoon full. Just watching him makes me gag.
I like it only when it´s warm and melting in a pancake or served (a teaspoonful for me!) on vanilla icecream.

There is a BIG difference between beautiful dulce de leche artesanal and the stuff you get in cakes or buy at the supermarket.

I had a New Zealand workmate who gave our argentine colleagues a huge teaspoon full of vegemite each telling them it tasted just like Dulce de Leche. You should have seen their faces.......

Lee said:
Fuck yes! I can't stand it either! :eek:

Just never publicly admitted it for fear of being stoned to death...
It's fucking awesome, tastes great and is quite nutritious. Aussie customs will confiscate it so perhaps they agree with you. :confused:

AngelinBA said:
My Argentine husband eats DDL by the tablespoon full. Just watching him makes me gag.
I like it only when it´s warm and melting in a pancake or served (a teaspoonful for me!) on vanilla icecream.

There is a BIG difference between beautiful dulce de leche artesanal and the stuff you get in cakes or buy at the supermarket.

I had a New Zealand workmate who gave our argentine colleagues a huge teaspoon full of vegemite each telling them it tasted just like Dulce de Leche. You should have seen their faces.......

My boyfriend does the same, he can finish a jar in one sitting, eating it without anything else. Ive never tasted vegemite, but it doesnt sound too attractive haha. I give people drop (licorice) if i want to see funny faces. Dont even like the stuff myself, but its something typical and people love to get typical candies from other countries. To me its just hilarious.

I can't stand dulce de leche; my teeth ache just thinking about it. But then, I can (and often do) eat Nutella straight out of the jar, which may horrify the average Argentine ;)

Lamb said:
My boyfriend does the same, he can finish a jar in one sitting, eating it without anything else.

I think my throat would close if I ever tried that, but it isn't as gross as a friend of a friend in the US who ate Crisco (hydrogenated vegetable shortening) straight from the can with his fingers.:eek:

Lamb said:
Ive never tasted vegemite, but it doesnt sound too attractive haha. I give people drop (licorice) if i want to see funny faces. Dont even like the stuff myself, but its something typical and people love to get typical candies from other countries. To me its just hilarious.

If you think that's funny, why not give "people" a licorice drop coated in vegemite and sprinkled with black pepper.:p

Just be sure that none of them can run as fast as you.:D

My parents sent me a pack of Licorice All Sorts from NZ and my husband and kids were fascinated by the beautiful colours against the black licorice. They each had one bite of one lolly each and I ended up with the other two packs all to myself. :D

Lamb said:
I hate it! I know people on here like to complain about more serious things, but i just had to say it. Being a big lover of anything sweet, this stuff is just too much for me, and its in freaking everything! Its just sad that when youre about to put your teeth in a delicious looking piece of chocolate cake, you discover that a 5 cm thick layer is made of - of course - dulce de leche...

Anyone share my anti-passion for this thing?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOI used too hate the stuff but then I learnt the difference between the cheap pastelera gunk they use on cakes (pure sugar) and the creamy, eat it from the jar stuff that is wonderful on pancakes and ice-cream...ok so I will always draw the line at eating it on toast but you MUST shop for the runnier, creamier jar stuff that is heavely..will advise once I check my fridge on brand preference!

Back