I hate dulce de leche

As a local, I heard it repeteadly from foreigners, with varying degrees of dislike...It's a matter of taste and habit. I think it can be compared to spicy food and sauces (that expats relish): I don't know if hate is the word, but locals aren't counted among the biggest fans. Me included.

The sugar addiction has a lot to do with it...saw a guy adding 8 teaspoons of sugar to his cordadito today...crazy...would you like coffeee with your sugar sir???

starlucia said:
I can't stand dulce de leche; my teeth ache just thinking about it. But then, I can (and often do) eat Nutella straight out of the jar, which may horrify the average Argentine ;)

Nutella is heaven in a jar.

AngelinBA said:
My parents sent me a pack of Licorice All Sorts from NZ and my husband and kids were fascinated by the beautiful colours against the black licorice. They each had one bite of one lolly each and I ended up with the other two packs all to myself. :D

I do have some, why, you want? Im Dutch, so im not sure if its the same stuff you have. I brought it for my boyfriend who for some reason loves it. I shiver just thinking about having a bite.

fifs2 said:
The sugar addiction has a lot to do with it...saw a guy adding 8 teaspoons of sugar to his cordadito today...crazy...would you like coffeee with your sugar sir???

My best friends brother used to drink strawberrytea (already sweet) with lots of milk (like half the cup) and 15 (im not kidding) fatass spoons of sugar. Now thats just sick.

Lamb said:
Nutella is heaven in a jar.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned peanut butter, though Expats searching for it have been ridiculed here in the past. A couple years ago on a return flight from the US I sat next to an Argentine woman who said she searched desperately for dulce de leche in San Francisco. She told me that she paid at least double the Argentine price, but it was worth it.

Sometimes we just have to have something we love in our mouths.

Where is Laura Scudder when I need her?

Dulce de Leche does not do it for me and I do have a sweet tooth at times. Looking around at the amount of sugar that the average Argentinian injests I am suprised that they are not the worlds fattest people !!!!

Re: D de L I’m glad you did not say “ I hate Evita”, or we all would be in trouble.

I am not a sweet tooth person but I do enjoy a bit of bitter chocolate after a steak dinner with some red wine. However I still remember a DDL mousse I had a few years ago on AA flight from BsAs after their standard beef supper. Besides everything, the portion was just right- the airline sampler size. Still searching for the replica of that mousse!!

I like Dulce de Leche.. but it is not THAT amazing.. An Argentine friend of mine of 20 years...1 reason I originally moved down to Argentina... freaked out when he found it in the US around the same time. It's pretty much caramel...no? Do like it in a cup...with a sprinkle of sea salt... hmmm yummy :)

Back