I Have Overstayed 90 Day Visa... Is It Better To Pay Fine Or

peterrosenthorn

Registered
Hola Chicos

I have overstayed my 90 day Visa (I'm about 2 months over).

I plan on staying here for a while.

I was wondering if it is best to go over to Colonia, or to go to the office and pay (I believe 300 peso fine?)?

i.e. If you go to Colonia and return a day later
1. Is there still a fine
2. Is there any a possibility they won't let you back in, etc?

If paying extension in Buenos Aires instead...
3. If you just pay the 300 peso extension, can there be problems? (i.e. getting asked to leave country, refused extension, etc?)
4. If you pay the 300 then, say in a month wanted to go to Uruguay for a day and return, would there be any problems?

My main concern is being allowed to stay.
And being able to continue to stay, and come and go (got me an Argentinian novia, ya see).
(I'm not working here if that makes a difference).

I apologise if this has been covered, I've gone through a bunch of the threads and not found the answer to this.

Thanks for any help.

Stay, don't pay now, pay the next time you fly out. It's 300 whether you overstay 3 months or 30 months.

You're already over the allowed limit. Just pay the $300 peso fine when you leave.

Also note that the fine can only be paid in person at Ezeiza. For any other departure point, you must pay the fine in advance (online or at the bank) as of August 1, 2013.

It has to be said that the visa rules (for now) in Argentina are fairly generous when compared to the UK for example.

I'm waiting for someone to turn up and tell you how morally wrong you are to do this. ;)

My problem is not that it is morally wrong to overstay but that rules are apt to change. So maybe it's okay for now, but will it always be?

You're already over the allowed limit. Just pay the $300 peso fine when you leave.

Also note that the fine can only be paid in person at Ezeiza. For any other departure point, you must pay the fine in advance (online or at the bank) as of August 1, 2013.

Where online can you pay?

Thanks!!

I guess my main concern is getting back in.

i.e.
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]You're already over the allowed limit. Just pay the $300 peso fine when you leave.[/background]

If I stay for say 1 year, then go over to Uruguay for a day, do they let you back in and give you another 3 month visa??

Thanks for your answers

If I stay for say 1 year, then go over to Uruguay for a day, do they let you back in and give you another 3 month visa??

I was discussing this with an immigration advisor today.

In direct answer to your question, you will NOT be able to just pop over to Uruguay, you will have to go to Migraciones and say "my tourist visa has expired". They will ask you if you want to extend it for another 90 days or if you are now leaving. If you say that you want to extend they will almost certainly do it (provided its the first extension), but with a warning not to overstay again or they won´t be so lenient. Of course, your trip to Uruguay will now be unnecessary.

If you say you are leaving now, they will give you a "habilitación de salida" and you will have 10 days to leave the country.

The advisor didnt think that there would be any problem on re-entry, or indeed on the existing practice of quick "out and in" trips every three months. The problem arises when you overstay - you will be forced into Migraciones and they will only allow you one or maybe two (if they are feeling kind) infracciones.

Her view was that the objective is principally to start to bring under control the unchecked overstays - not hard to understand - and that now they have all the technologiy available to do so. Ezeiza is an exception, but a technological one in that at Ezeiza they have better technology and links to the migraciones databases.

Hope that helps.

Back