I Have Overstayed 90 Day Visa... Is It Better To Pay Fine Or

This happens to me often. I was traveling out of the country for business. When I checked in with the Airline they sent me to the immigration office. I believe I paid $300USD and not pesos. It was no big deal. The next time you leave Argentina, make sure you give yourself enough time to deal with paying the fee.

This happens to me often. I was traveling out of the country for business. When I checked in with the Airline they sent me to the immigration office. I believe I paid $300USD and not pesos. It was no big deal. The next time you leave Argentina, make sure you give yourself enough time to deal with paying the fee.

300 USD??? WTF

Quite frankly people should be more respectful of local immigration law. It's just so easy and friendly here. What would CBP or UK or any Euro Immigration do if anyone overstays their welcome. I've heard we impose things as severe as 10 year bans in the US for overstays. About the 300 bucks, probably he just doesn't remember or he did it with a totally different exchange rate.

I recently returned to Europe on holiday. My tourist visa was a week or so out of date. At the airport I just paid the 300 pesos and that was that. No problem with the re-entry to Argentina due to overstay either.

I had wanted to extend my visa before leaving the country so I went down to the immigration place to sort it out. There were long queues though and staff there actually advised me not to bother and just pay the 300 on departure.

Sorry this is not the CBT, UK or US or FR , it's Argentina one has to consider the value proposition. At the point of consideration it becomes very personal.

CBT is not a place. I mentioned CBP (Customs and Border Protection) as the main immigration authority in the US. I realize this is not the US, Europe, or even Australia, hence we get to live here without doing any of the residency paperwork. What would a french immigration agent do if someone tried leave the Eurozone for a few hours and come back trying to pull the permatourist card. How many times do can you do Colonia runs until someone even asks a question? My point is, very little is asked from us, it just makes little sense, especially for first timers.

On top of that you don't need to apologize to me.

I did not apologize. That gesture was pity because you really don't understand the value of where you currently live. It's Argentina. It's OK. But it's just not even close to .............................pick a place? Be realistic. AR is fun but it is very, very problematic.

I was discussing this with an immigration advisor today.

In direct answer to your question, you will NOT be able to just pop over to Uruguay, you will have to go to Migraciones and say "my tourist visa has expired". They will ask you if you want to extend it for another 90 days or if you are now leaving. If you say that you want to extend they will almost certainly do it (provided its the first extension), but with a warning not to overstay again or they won´t be so lenient. Of course, your trip to Uruguay will now be unnecessary.

If you say you are leaving now, they will give you a "habilitación de salida" and you will have 10 days to leave the country.

The advisor didnt think that there would be any problem on re-entry, or indeed on the existing practice of quick "out and in" trips every three months. The problem arises when you overstay - you will be forced into Migraciones and they will only allow you one or maybe two (if they are feeling kind) infracciones.

Her view was that the objective is principally to start to bring under control the unchecked overstays - not hard to understand - and that now they have all the technologiy available to do so. Ezeiza is an exception, but a technological one in that at Ezeiza they have better technology and links to the migraciones databases.

Hope that helps.

To the OP - you should not listen to this advice. While I'm sure the lawyer had the best intentions, it is just simply bad advice.

I have a lot of experience here (5+ years) in this.

You should definitely not go to migraciones and request an extension under any circumstance. This is generally the ONLY way people ever have problems. You should not do a 'visa run' to Colonia either. Visa runs are just a waste of time and money.

You simply should stay as long as you need and leave when you want. Ideally leave from EZE, but if you want to go somewhere else then you supposedly now have to pay the fine in advance (see http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/argentina-tourist-visa-overstay-fee) at the bank.

As mentioned earlier, 30 days or 300 days makes no difference at all. Trust me, I speak from experience. I've heard the same 'what if the laws change' for 5 years now. I've also spoken to people that work in migraciones off the record. They do not care.

Back