I just opened a peso bank account with my passport (no DNI or precaria), here's how

gringoexpress

Registered
I just arrived in Argentina and managed to get a local bank account open with no DNI. I'm posting the information here in case it may be of use to anyone else. I'm personally apartment shopping and need a way to pay expenses other than paying cash in person, but I'm sure the account has many uses.

What you will need:
Your passport
A printout of your current electronic visa stamp (not overstayed), from here : https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/transitos/
A printout of this page : https://www.bcra.gob.ar/BCRAyVos/inmigrantes-preguntas-frecuentes.asp

What you do :
First, you need a CDI number from the AFIP office with jurisdiction over wherever you are staying. This page will tell you where : https://serviciosweb.afip.gob.ar/genericos/buscadordependencias/dependencias.aspx
Go to the office and get a CDI number, This was relatively straightforward for me.

Next, take your CDI number printout and your other documents to one of the participating banks (Ciudad, Provincia, Santander y Macro). I got my account open at Provincia, but in theory any of the four should work. I went to the main branch downtown on San Martin, I would recommend you do the same, as smaller branches are likely to be even less cooperative.

Tell them you are there to open a Cuenta de Ahorros para Inmigrantes. This is the part that gets tricky. Everyone will insist that you need a DNI or a precaria. You don't. The page you printed out from the Banco Central says that residentes transitorias can open accounts with a comprovante of their status. The electronic visa stamp is a comprovante that says you are a residente transitoria. Let me reinforce the point that the bank will not want to do this, you will need to explain this to them, multiple times.

They will then hopefully let you open the account. They will need the CDI number document from AFIP and your passport. That's it. The account has some kind of limit on it (250k pesos a month, or 250k peso maximum limit, I'm not sure yet.) I'm still waiting for my card to arrive, at which point I will be able to login to internet banking and see if the account is actually good for anything, or if I have to go try the other banks until I find one with working internet banking, but the account is open. Perhaps this account can help someone else. I have no idea about the tax implications.

Excellent info so helpful for all newcomers... thanks so much.
How to open a Cuenta de Ahorros...!

I just arrived in Argentina and managed to get a local bank account open with no DNI. I'm posting the information here in case it may be of use to anyone else. I'm personally apartment shopping and need a way to pay expenses other than paying cash in person, but I'm sure the account has many uses.

What you will need:
Your passport
A printout of your current electronic visa stamp (not overstayed), from here : https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/transitos/
A printout of this page : https://www.bcra.gob.ar/BCRAyVos/inmigrantes-preguntas-frecuentes.asp

What you do :
First, you need a CDI number from the AFIP office with jurisdiction over wherever you are staying. This page will tell you where : https://serviciosweb.afip.gob.ar/genericos/buscadordependencias/dependencias.aspx
Go to the office and get a CDI number, This was relatively straightforward for me.

Next, take your CDI number printout and your other documents to one of the participating banks (Ciudad, Provincia, Santander y Macro). I got my account open at Provincia, but in theory any of the four should work. I went to the main branch downtown on San Martin, I would recommend you do the same, as smaller branches are likely to be even less cooperative.

Tell them you are there to open a Cuenta de Ahorros para Inmigrantes. This is the part that gets tricky. Everyone will insist that you need a DNI or a precaria. You don't. The page you printed out from the Banco Central says that residentes transitorias can open accounts with a comprovante of their status. The electronic visa stamp is a comprovante that says you are a residente transitoria. Let me reinforce the point that the bank will not want to do this, you will need to explain this to them, multiple times.

They will then hopefully let you open the account. They will need the CDI number document from AFIP and your passport. That's it. The account has some kind of limit on it (250k pesos a month, or 250k peso maximum limit, I'm not sure yet.) I'm still waiting for my card to arrive, at which point I will be able to login to internet banking and see if the account is actually good for anything, or if I have to go try the other banks until I find one with working internet banking, but the account is open. Perhaps this account can help someone else. I have no idea about the tax implications.
So pumped it worked out for you.

I tried this in November (minus the CDI number) at Ciudad, Provincia, and Santander on Cabildo and they all insisted that I come back with no less than a CUIL.

Thanks for posting!

Is it possible to do if you've overstayed your tourist visa?

Great info. Thanks for sharing. I'll try to reopen a bank account in June when I head back to BA.

I did this previously at Banco Provincia and can confirm it works, albeit a longggg time ago.

Did you end up getting your card? How's the account?

Did you end up getting your card? How's the account?
Finally back in Argentina and had time to go fight with the bank. The account works, I received a transfer through Moneygram no problem. The app doesn't work at all, internet banking works but I had to spend a considerable amount of time getting it working, including convincing the bank employees that it could be done and helping them get the login information set up, their system has you register 3 different usernames and passwords, they all have to be unique, and if the process craps out at any point you have to start all over again and not reuse any of the same information. It also has to be manually enabled in the bank, and you will need to convince the people working there to do so. While it isn't the worst setup I've ever seen (I work in digital payments consulting and deal with a lot of crappy banks) it certainly isn't designed well. If I get bored I'll go try opening accounts at the other banks, because a working app would be nice, but I think what I have will work for my needs.

Back