I need help regarding how to receive SMS (AT&T)

Your Samsung S22 Ultra is listed as compatible in the the list sent by @lunar
Nope, they specifically whitelist S22 Ultra variants that are sold in the States (SM-S908U, SM-S908U1).
The model that Samsung sells here is called SM-S908EZKMARO, for example.

Nope, they specifically whitelist S22 Ultra variants that are sold in the States (SM-S908U, SM-S908U1).
The model that they sell here is called SM-S908EZKMARO, for example.
It's not an actual whitelist, though, just a list of tested and "approved" models, and they don't even guarantee that those models will work. Were they to enforce a whitelist and only allow those mobile models to register with AT&T and get service, they could kiss a lot of their international customers goodbye. AT&T (along with Western Wireless) were the main beneficiaries of foreign mobile users arriving in the US, since they went the GSM route, it's unlikely they would want to block those customers because their mobiles aren't approved.

I think it's something else. The mobile should work here with an AT&T SIM. I have the same setup (with a European SIM) to receive SMS and voice calls from my bank in Europe.

If there is a chance the phone is Locked by the seller then it will not work. That was always the case in the past. Are new phones no longer locked in Argentina?

Were they to enforce a whitelist and only allow those mobile models to register with AT&T and get service, they could kiss a lot of their international customers goodbye.
That's precisely what AT&T is doing.
Here is an example: new Galaxy A53 5G A536U vs A536E.

That's precisely what AT&T is doing.
Here is an example: new Galaxy A53 5G A536U vs A536E.
The thread seems to be more about 3G models no longer working on AT&T's network, which is reasonable since AT&T is switching off 3G (like Personal intends to do so here in 2023). There are some hints at more restrictive policies, if AT&T really are blocking non-approved models it will piss off hundreds of thousands of people who probably pay fat roaming fees for the privilege of using AT&T while they're in the US. They're nuts if they're doing that.

In any case, the phone isn't on AT&T's network, so they don't get to decide. It needs to get service with Personal.

My money is on: phone not actually unlocked, AT&T SIM not activated, or AT&T roaming not activated.

Maybe the OP can put a Claro or Movistar SIM in the phone and see if it works.

Last edited:
You're not on AT&T's network, though, you have an AT&T SIM and you're roaming on the Personal network. Since the phone obviously works fine here, with the Personal eSIM, there's no reason it shouldn't work with the AT&T SIM, as long as AT&T roaming and data services are enabled.

Hello carride. Thanks for your reply.

What AT&T (Philippines) said three times is that my new phone was incompatible. They determined this by asking me for the IMEI and eIMEI numbers. I thought that incompatibility with such a new phone was odd and so I wanted to verify it with other agents. They all concurred. And that it's the nub of it - absent phone compatibility, there are no options: (a.) no recognition of the AT&T physical SIM, (b.) no WiFi Calling and (c.) no Roaming.

Anyway, I'm weary of trying to circle the square with AT&T and so will take your advice to search here for a functional virtual phone number to receive the SMS.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

The phone says "No SIM"? That's what no recognition of the AT&T physical SIM would look like.

jblaze, no, I picked it up at a local Samsung office. Thanks to Western Union cash, it was not an exorbitant expenditure.

At this point I'm just going to (hopefully) find a VOIP solution rather than continue to bang my head against the wall in futility trying to configure an AT&T response.

The VOIP provider to which I subscribed on Thursday, One SimCard, is wholly unable to send incoming SMS to my assigned number via their Android app. Prior to subscribing, I called their sales department and was told that they indeed could receive and forward Wells Fargo SMS verifications. That is demonstrably not the case. I failed even to recover a Skype SMS, that I sent to myself, through their app.

I first came to Buenos Aires in 1986 and have lived across South America for the majority of the last sixteen years. The mistake that I made was not having a redundant GoogleVoice account - double porting two U.S. numbers to two GoogleVoice accounts. The lesson has been learned.

Cheers

At this point I'm just going to (hopefully) find a VOIP solution rather than ...

This is a security feature imposed by some banks, not a matter of messaging or networks. So, there is no general VOIP solution. The USBank, for example (the USBank, not a US Bank), does not even allow registering a phone number if it belongs to a VOIP service. You can find a VOIP provider that allows you to receive SMSes, but if the bank does not send SMS to VOIP numbers according to their policies, you are out of luck.

See this

Last edited:
Back