I Reek Of Excitement!

what i wwhat I wonder is why do you all stay here if you feel the life here is so miserable? Argentina is not my country - I also do not know all you have suffered too. I understand about the goods problem in 2010 for imports; and the money problems starting in 2011; and the current problems for leaving the country on travel etc. yet I am here on a short term basis of 5 months per year as I have two other residences. I enjoy your city but I do become quite frustrated with the subte and buses too. Today we were stuck underground forever it seems at different stations along the B line. It almost seemed to me they were working on one line only. As we had to wait for each train coming from the opposite direction at each station before being able to move forward once again. You would think they would give older people an opportunity to sit but really that is another issue .. buses and subte lines.. you are at odds with all ages unless perhaps you have a cane. i like your city very much.

There is a big difference between visiting here and living here. Many of us that live here, work here, have businesses here, etc have a slightly more....jaded opinion on life in Argentina.

To the OP, you are here for a short amount of time - enjoy the city and take advantage of all the things possible. It is a fun city to visit - enjoy.

What i wwhat I wonder is why do you all stay here if you feel the life here is so miserable?

I think most people on the board at this point who have been here over 2 years are locked into Argentina for reasons that make it very difficult to leave, ie spouses, children, businesses, spouse's work contract etc etc.

what i wwhat I wonder is why do you all stay here if you feel the life here is so miserable? Argentina is not my country - I also do not know all you have suffered too. I understand about the goods problem in 2010 for imports; and the money problems starting in 2011; and the current problems for leaving the country on travel etc. yet I am here on a short term basis of 5 months per year as I have two other residences. I enjoy your city but I do become quite frustrated with the subte and buses too. Today we were stuck underground forever it seems at different stations along the B line. It almost seemed to me they were working on one line only. As we had to wait for each train coming from the opposite direction at each station before being able to move forward once again. You would think they would give older people an opportunity to sit but really that is another issue .. buses and subte lines.. you are at odds with all ages unless perhaps you have a cane. i like your city very much.

A lot of us came here after hearing all these "amazing" things about the city and perhaps naively made long term commitments only to find out that living here can be quite a test at times.

For me most of the "amazing" things about the city turned out to be hype, well apart from the pizza that is ;)

I dont think expats complain the same as argentines do. The complaints of an Argentine is more like "what this country could have been" or "what this country at one time used to be" like in the begining of the century, etc. That is very present in the collective imagination.
The complaints of the expats are about what this country is.
I think expats misunderstand argentine complaints and feel like they have permission to f*** every time.

I dont think expats complain the same as argentines do. The complaints of an Argentine is more like "what this country could have been" or "what this country at one time used to be" like in the begining of the century, etc. That is very present in the collective imagination.
I think expats misunderstand argentine complaints and feel like they have permission to f*** every time.

A lot of my expat friends do wonder why Argentina isn't as prosperous as Canada or Australia.

A lot of us expats have put our money where our mouths are (much more so than many locals) and started businesses, invested in this country, hired employees, bought properties, etc. So yes, I *personally* do feel entitled to bitch about what this country is (although I try to avoid it). I'm less worried about what it could be b/c there are an awful lot of things that need fixing today before worrying about what it could be like tomorrow.

In May I will have been here seven years and I'm still complaining :)
For me, what you see on this forum is a kaleidoscope of sentiment. It's not a yardstick per se, but a rough guide .
It's pretty limp nowadays to suggest people try living somewhere else if they express dissatisfaction (with Arg) here on this forum.
The world has changed since many of us took that leap into the unknown. Borders are more restricted, things are much tighter generally everywhere.
Some of us face huge difficulties in returning to our home countries, if not a sea of logistics.
But we know that now. We may not have known it then.
As I mentioned, I wish the young person all the very best in the future.
Only he/she can ultimately travel their own road.

Back