I Tried Xoom Today

Even if the penalties are waved, you people, by your flagrant skirting of the rules and the official exchange rate are reducing the monies for Cara Para Todos as well as overseas shoe shopping excursions - I don't know which is worse...

No change on my status with Xoom. I cleaned up all my address discrepancies, updating my current address on my bank account and on xoom. I tried sending smaller amounts to myself at a drop location, using bank transfer or debit card. Anything I try gets the same result - automatically canceled within about 30 seconds of generating the transaction. I do feel a bit better after reading this forum full of similar complaints and problems:

http://www.xomreviews.com/xoom.com.

At least in my case they did not tie my money up, or cancel me without reason or provocation after years of patronage, as they have with many other people.

Xoom is too reckless with user data to be considered a reputable company. Case in point- their last request was for photocopy of my card. This is risky to send. They already had that info on file, and all it could do was prove I was in physical possession of the card, which I did prove. Yet they canceled me immediately after I sent that information. That cancellation had to be based on some other criteria, hence they put my data at risk for no reason. This is irresponsible. If it weren't for my high tolerance for risk, in pursuit of the high exchange rate, I would not waste a second of time with them. It will not surprise me in the least if we see some crazy Xoom financial debacle or information fraud/leak/scam from Xoom in the future.

EricLovesBA said:
It will not surprise me in the least if we see some crazy Xoom financial debacle or information fraud/leak/scam from Xoom in the future.

They seem to be a reputable entity (albeit with poor customer service).

However, you just never know these days. This is why I decided not to use my bank account and opted instead to use my credit card. Yes, a credit card was a little more expensive but at least I know my credit card will always protect me in the event of fraud.

I've had several times where my credit card company made me completely whole and I didn't lose anything. I always prefer using a credit card vs. giving out my checking account information.

I can see that not everyone has had good experiences with Xoom, and some remain concerned about security.
I just want to say that today I picked up my third money transfer from Xoom.
Whereas the first time required me to phone them to confirm the transaction and then took me about 20 minutes at the local office and, the second time was quicker and today I was not required to call and was handed my money in less than 5 minutes.
I have to assume that once they see that you are repeating prior sucessful transactions, they'll require less verification.

Does anyone know an alternative to Xoom? Or some way to get USD from the US to Pesos here at the blue rate?

I used zoom a few times, but am now over the monthly limit and despite jumping through hoops for 2 weeks now to have the limit increased I was denied.

Any ideas are very appreciated.

jeff1234 said:
I can see that not everyone has had good experiences with Xoom, and some remain concerned about security.
I just want to say that today I picked up my third money transfer from Xoom.
Whereas the first time required me to phone them to confirm the transaction and then took me about 20 minutes at the local office and, the second time was quicker and today I was not required to call and was handed my money in less than 5 minutes.
I have to assume that once they see that you are repeating prior sucessful transactions, they'll require less verification.

Jeff, that's interesting because I went for my second transfer today and it required more work than before. Granted I transferred double the amount - first time was $250 USD and today was $500 USD. Only a week or so apart, the first time I went I was in and out in 3 minutes. No questions, just showed my passport and signed the forms. Today I had to give the name of the American company I work for and their website. How the hell they are verifying that I have no idea because I don't remember inputting that into Xoom's site. Then the teller proceeded to chat on the phone with someone for at least 10 minutes after asking me what I'm doing in Argentina and why I'm there, etc. Not sure who she was talking to or what about - she wasn't really speaking loudly enough through the glass for me to decipher. At the end of the day, I walked out of there with the money so that's good.

The method I use to transmit is my American bank account. Overall the experience has been positive, I have gotten my money both times, and my wife has also made a successful transaction. This is probably common sense but don't go to the Libertad location around noon. Todo el mundo is on their lunch break and I waited roughly 45 minutes for my # to be called.

Jeff, I appreciate you sharing your experience. Definitely gave me some confidence in a potential source of accessing my money while I'm here. Cheers.

Hi all, used Xoom yesterday for USD 300. As I'm Dutch I needed an American friend with bank account to make the transfer. After 3rd degree interrogation of my friend all went smooth and I walked out with over 1800 pesos. Next week I will make a bigger transaction and let you know how it went!

Saludos!

I'm curious how they can give the blue rate rather than the official rate, whereas Western or withdrawing from an ATM still sticks you with the crap rate.

Today I went for triple the amount of my first Xoom 'experience'. After another thorough questioning of both my friend and myself the transaction was successful. I needed to give more info, the guy behind the desk made a call to (as far as I could hear) check the passports and then I've got the okay.

Because I don't want to have the hassle of a weekly Xoom visit (it's quite far from wherere I live), doe anybodybhave any experience to transfer between USD 2500 and 2995 (the maximum allowed)? Txs for sharing your experience.

vamonos2012 said:
does anybodybhave any experience to transfer between USD 2500 and 2995 (the maximum allowed)? Txs for sharing your experience.

I've sent in $2,000 US before with no problems.

I had to fill out all that extra paperwork just the first time I sent in. But after that I never had any problems at all and it went very quickly. However, keep in mind I'm sending the funds to my bank account in Argentina. I'm never picking up the funds. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I typically shoot an email over to my contact at More Money Argentina that asked for all the paperwork and just send him a heads up that I'm sending a payment and he confirms almost immediately that the funds will be deposited into my account.

They go and deposit it in cash into my local bank account never in increments of more than 5,000 pesos at a time.

Back