I Want To Bring My Dog To Ba...

I was going to say I've seen people on the plane with a small dog in their lap. Surprised me! But it sounds like a better idea to me than cargo. Poor baby!

Does anyone know the costs of bring a cat from BA to the US? I read in another thread about bringing it directly as if it were a therapy cat, but if I choose not to take that route, I'm curious about what costs to expect.

Under your seat in a soft carrier about $200 plus forms and SENASA fees at entrance (not much). But my cat fought against being contained the whole trip and I felt terrible for him. Fortunately he was coming to stay for a long time. Next time I would definately give him a chill pill. And "next time "won't be until I make a move back.

Hi - I am new to this forum. This is actually my 1st post. Our plan is to move in a couple of years but we are doing our planning now. Want to know as much as we can so we don't have any surprises.

We have 2 small Yorkies and plan to fly them in the cabin with us (they weigh under 6lb ea). I read that it is kind of dangerous to fly dogs as cargo. I heard some horror stories. Ours are too small to make that trip in cargo anyway.

I also didn't know anything about a problem getting them back out?? I read that the fee on Delta is $100 to fly them over. Why is it $400 to get them back out? This is something I will need to make sure I have settled. We certainly do not want to come and live there and then not be able to bring them home :eek:

Thanks for any info

I think it all depends on the airline so just call them and ask. For American Airlines I paid 175 for my cat was not told there was any difference between dogs or cats but for international travel they must be put in cargo ( for AA). A heads up though now they make you go pay the SENASA fee at another area where you need to then go with the receipt to pay at the bank around the corner in cash so just go do that first before checking in. Though keep in mind that things may change again since you don't plan to leave for a couple years

Thank you. I will do some further checking as I get closer to my date.

Brought my cat on Delta for free. Pet Smart has a collapsible carrier approved by Delta that will carry a cat or small dog.
Just don´t plan on anything but economy with an on board carrier....

I only have experience with carry-on, so I cannot speak to the whole cargo side of pet travel. We have a small Havanese that loves his travel carrier and has been on several flights. We brought him here under the seat in front of us on a Copa airlines flight from the US at the beginning of September and he did great. Of course, we knew our dog and that he is comfortable in his soft airline approved carrier (he prefers to sleep in and hang out in it even when not traveling) and is very chill on plane rides, so we knew this would not be particularly traumatizing for him. He did wonderfully, just rested and was ready to run and play when we arrived. I think you just have to know your pet and whether they can handle something like that, and what to provide them with to make it as comfortable as possible.

As for the paperwork, if you are coming from the US you have to have a USDA-accredited vet check your dog out within ten days of your flight and he/she needs to be up to date on rabies vaccination. Your vet needs to fill out an International Health Certificate form for Argentina, and then you have to go (without your dog) to a local USDA office to have the paperwork certified. When you check into the flight, the attendant at the desk should* ensure that you have your proper paperwork (the Intl Health Certificate and proof of rabies within 10 days signed by your vet). The Copa airlines people asked for it when we checked in before they would allows us to continue.

Once you land at EZE you have to go to the SENASA office near the exit from Customs, and handover all the paperwork. They asked us a few questions in Spanish and looked over things, had us sign a form and pay the animal entry fee, looked at our dog just to make sure he seemed healthy, and then we were on our way. It was really rather painless. They even provided paperwork with instructions on what we need to do in a few months when we leave, which is basically just the same process for coming here (replacing USDA with SENASA) and they provide a number to call if you have any questions.

As long as you have the proper up to date regulation information and all the paperwork, you should be fine! Then it's just a matter of how will your pet do on a flight.

If anyone travelling from the US with a small carry-on size pet needs more help, PM me.

This is good. One of my dogs is going to freak out :0 She's going to shake and shiver and act like she can't be cooped up under the seat. I think we need to start getting her used to this before we make the trip. We have a couple of years to get her used to it.

Back