I Was Denied Entry At Ezeiza

That rule is only in your imaginación, the same than the whole "permanent-tourist" self lie: it is illegal immigration.

Something called "pacífic precedents of Supreme Court since 1828" says that if you are in Argentina and your will is to live here, you have the right to stay, leave and enter the country". The 2000 stamps in your passport is against the rules that protects you according to the laws of THIS country.
u
But the trips to Uruguay are kinda needed to get dollars. And we all know Argentina likes the dollars, even if the amount from all the expat types of whatever residency status is really only a small drop in a very big bucket.
Of course I guess Argentina likes it better if you don't make the trip and just use the official rates too ...........

That rule is only in your imaginación

The 3 strikes isn't just some urban legend propagated by nervous expats - I was told by immigration officials that this was the case. Now whether it's true or not or whether they enforce it is another matter, but upon leaving Argentina and paying my second overstay, I was specifically informed that the third time I overstayed I wouldn't be allowed back. I have my residency now and never made it to 3 overstays, but I wouldn't bank on being able to overstay as many times as you wish, and I wouldn't count on having 3 chances either. Theoretically you can be denied entry even after 1 overstay since it's at the agent's discretion, although I have never heard of such a case.

I cannot understand why people who plan to live here or stay for a long period of time do not go through the legal channels and get their DNI. I began the process 2 weeks after arriving here, had all my documents in order and received my DNI in 4 months in B.A.
I think that many countries would just not allow you to return if you overstay your visa. Argentina tends to be more lenient than many other countries. Just do the right thing, bothersome as it seems.

I cannot understand why people who plan to live here or stay for a long period of time do not go through the legal channels and get their DNI. I began the process 2 weeks after arriving here, had all my documents in order and received my DNI in 4 months in B.A.
I think that many countries would just not allow you to return if you overstay your visa. Argentina tends to be more lenient than many other countries. Just do the right thing, bothersome as it seems.

Because as has been mentioned ad nauseum, you don't just "apply and get your DNI". You have to fit the criteria to apply to become a resident. Which many people don't. Unless you're a student (which is temp and doesn't lead to perm residency AFAIK) or a retiree or marry an Argentine or have children here or find a company that will hire a foreigner en blanco and sponsor, you don't have any option. Unless you want to employ the services of a lawyer to apply for citizenship which last I heard, he was charging several thousand dollars.

Citygirl. thank you for all the criteria. I got my DNI 20 years ago and maybe it was easier then.Perhaps the laws have changed. Having said that, several thousand dollars does not sound like a great amount of money to obtain a citizenship , or , better said, apply for it.

Citygirl. thank you for all the criteria. I got my DNI 20 years ago and maybe it was easier then.Perhaps the laws have changed. Having said that, several thousand dollars does not sound like a great amount of money to obtain a citizenship , or , better said, apply for it.

Yep, I remember back circa the mid 70's in N.Y.C. any foreigner wanting to get an US green card, aka, permanent residency and the fastest ways to getting it was by the ways of paying up front US$2 grand and gettin' married ! I had known many,many whom had to cough up the big dough to marry one of them...But someone like myself, just sit on front of an inmmigration interviewer and answer the correct responses to tricky questions then getting the residency, and save the US$2k!

It's going to get tighter and tighter. Argentina is not Panama,in that they do not embrace the concept of the expat resident or the retiree communities that produce tons of $$$$ revenue. Maybe that will change but until it does Cero is right....go directly to the citizen line and forget the visa runs. [unless your spouse or child is Argentine, then DNI is slam dunk]

I believe that figure is outdated. I received a PM from a member who said the fee was $6500 and that was about a year ago. The best way to know exactly how much any of the lawyers charge is to ask them.

I had multiple entries and exits , never overstayed. I got my DNI , and it is so much easier. They do not flip through the passport looking at all the dates , etc......

Wife got her green card in 2010 and I paid the lawyer US$5000.00

Steve , you would have liked him. He had pictures in his office of himself and Reagan , Bush 1 , Bush 2..............

I also saw a first edition of Atlas Shrugged on his book shelf.

Please. just to clear my head and set me straight No means :

It´s NOT a complete formal legal procedure on the spot at the Airport ?
OR
It´s NOT his discretion to initiate and start the process ?

Many many thanks as always.

The immigration officer signs a form and you are in the next flight with 2 policemen pushing you in.

However, if you do not improvise, it can be stop by your lawyer at Court, if it is planned in advance.

Back