If Not Argentina Then Where?

sergio said:
Sorry but you can't live a decent life on your income, not in Argentina. As someone said, the immigration people will insist on a higher income than you have. Try Ecuador, Nicaragua or El Salvador.

I'm the one who said immigration would require a higher income than $1800 USD, per month but since then we have learned that there is no set amount for the retirement visa (as there is for the rentista). Of course that could change in the next six years (when the OP would like to retire). The OP also indicated that his income will be about $1800 plus SS of about $1300 per month. That is certainly enough for a modest retirement in Argentina today.

Seventeen years from now (when the OP will be eligible for full SS benefits) it probably won't be enough.:rolleyes:

Wade,

$1000 dollars per month would be tight in San Juan, as it would be most other provinces. I speak from the experience of living in Cordoba capital, and traveling to San Juan capital on several occasions to visit family.

You really need a car in San Juan. Unlike Mendoza or Cordoba, or obviously BA, the public transportation there is limited and the little corner stores are few and far between. Are you planning on bringing a car? I doubt you could buy one with only U$1000/m.

I am sure you could survive on that amount, but you would have little money left over to travel or even to buy much needed furniture or appliances. Material goods here are very very expensive.

Good luck.

Americas

"Cities in Brazil are amongst the most expensive locations in the Americas with Sao Paulo (21) ranked as the most expensive city in both North and South America, as a result of the strengthening of the Brazilian Real against the US Dollar. In South America, Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro (29) is the second most expensive city followed by Havana (45) in Cuba, Colombia’s Bogota (66) and Brazil’s capital, Brasilia (70). Buenos Aires ranks 161. Nicaragua’s Managua (212), Bolivia’s La Paz (211) and Asuncion (204) in Paraguay were the least expensive cities in South America."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jun/30/city-costs-living#zoomed-picture

http://www.mercer.com/qualityoflivingpr

voyagingknoxvillian said:
Wade,

$1000 dollars per month would be tight in San Juan, as it would be most other provinces. I speak from the experience of living in Cordoba capital, and traveling to San Juan capital on several occasions to visit family.

You really need a car in San Juan. Unlike Mendoza or Cordoba, or obviously BA, the public transportation there is limited and the little corner stores are few and far between.

Good luck.

Thanks, good info. I'm going to walk, bike, and take the bus. San Rafael is sounding better for that. I'd like to get by on $1000 a month but will spend more if needed. My sister's spare bedroom is beginning to sound attractive!
Wade

Thanks everyone for the honest input. Guess all I can do is monitor forums and wait and see. Will eventually travel there to see if it's what I want.

Regards,
Wade

Wade K. said:
I'm researching places to retire and like much of what I read about Argentina. I'm 49, would like to take my pension at 55, but it'll only be $13k. $16k if I wait until 60. I'll have some savings, and hopefully Social Security will be around in 13 years. I've read a bit here, and I'm wondering if costs go down considerably outside of Buenos Aires? What cities would you say provide a good quality of life on $1000 a month? I'm flexible on where I live but prefer warm and dry. And as this forum probably knows more than most, where would you live outside of Argentina if it wasn't affordable on limited income? Thanks for your help!
Wade

South Africa is %50 cheaper than argentina. This is a promise but still you will find it difficult to survive with 1000 if you want to live in a white area

Not pretending to 'defend' Argentina, but most expats posting here have no clue how much cheaper the provinces are. 1000 US a month is a lot of money if you are not paying rent. I have lots of friends/relatives living with their families for less than that. Surely they don't visit expensive clubs or buy import goods from the grocery store, but they have quíte a good life, yes, including a car.
Of course you will have to change your habits, cook at home, etc.
I don't like San Juan very much. I would prefer San Rafael, San Luis, Salta, La Rioja.
Tandil is not very humid and it is a nice town.

Amargo said:
Not pretending to 'defend' Argentina, but most expats posting here have no clue how much cheaper the provinces are. 1000 US a month is a lot of money if you are not paying rent. I have lots of friends/relatives living with their families for less than that. Surely they don't visit expensive clubs or buy import goods from the grocery store, but they have quíte a good life, yes, including a car.

I just returned from WALMART in Bahia Blanca. Ironically, Hunt's Hickory Barbecue Sauce (imported) was slightly less per gram than Hellmann's Salsa Barbacoa. I buy and use both.

$1000 US a month is enough to live on here, excluding rent but including health, home, and car insurance, nafta, electricity, LP gas, Direct TV, wireless modum, telephone, and lots of food. There aren't any restaurants in the village where I live, but I rarely ate in restaurants when I lived in Capital Federal (just the expat lunches).

Also: the roads are excellent, there is rarely much traffic, and the vast majority of people drive sanely here (though they tend to tailgate).

Amargo said:
Not pretending to 'defend' Argentina, but most expats posting here have no clue how much cheaper the provinces are. 1000 US a month is a lot of money if you are not paying rent. .

How & where exactly do you think an expat will be living if he isn't paying rent? Unless the OP has family here, he will be renting an apt. And unless he has a guarantor, he will be renting a short-term, furnished apt.

citygirl said:
How & where exactly do you think an expat will be living if he isn't paying rent? Unless the OP has family here, he will be renting an apt. And unless he has a guarantor, he will be renting a short-term, furnished apt.

More than a few of us own our homes/apartments in Argentina.

Back