If Not Argentina Then Where?

Wade K.

Registered
I'm researching places to retire and like much of what I read about Argentina. I'm 49, would like to take my pension at 55, but it'll only be $13k. $16k if I wait until 60. I'll have some savings, and hopefully Social Security will be around in 13 years. I've read a bit here, and I'm wondering if costs go down considerably outside of Buenos Aires? What cities would you say provide a good quality of life on $1000 a month? I'm flexible on where I live but prefer warm and dry. And as this forum probably knows more than most, where would you live outside of Argentina if it wasn't affordable on limited income? Thanks for your help!
Wade

I have spent time in both Panama and Costa Rica and now here. I like the cultural aspects of Buenos Aires. San Jose costa rica is not a very nice town in my opinion and ticos have been spoiled by the influx of "rich" gringos for the last 30 years and will try to cheat you if they think you're not looking. There are some nice areas of Panama NOT Panama city (unless you like a daily sauna bath with clothes on) but the mountains are cooler and of course they use the US dollar and are 2 1/2 hours from Miami. Somewhat cheaper than here..especially in areas with fewer ex-pats. I have also heard/read/researched Cuenca, Ecuador (mountains) and Cartagena,Colombia (beaches) are the new cheap places to live. check out International Living's website...their daily "postcards" are free! Chile is also very nice!!!! Hope this helps some... Chris AKA rubiagringa

You can't live on $1,000 USD unless you own property. Even then you will have a lot of expenses. If you have to pay rent, forget it. Life in the provinces can be pretty dull compared to BA and I am not sure that it would be all that much cheaper. I have heard that Ecuador is affordable. Panama is also a consideration.Of course you would have a limited cultural life if that is important.

Don't forget health care. In Argentina you pay a lot more for insurance if you are over 65, in other countries it might be more affordable (if available). In a lot of Latin countries unless you are in a major city hospitals and doctors can be scarce. In some countries I don't think the standard of medical care is particularly high. You can keep looking but I wouldn't be surprised if all your savings of living south of the border evaporate do to paying a lot more than you would if you stayed at home with Medicare during your retirement.

On a US$14,000 per year retirement, I'd be afraid to get out of the dollar zone - the currency risk is too great.

Smallish US towns can be inexpensive and pleasant places to live. Lander, Wyoming, is one that comes to mind. Same for Fort Collins, CO.

Too many good answers so I'll just reply to all. I've looked extensively at Central America and have ruled out those countries for various reasons. Just about sold on Colombia due to great weather in several Andean cities as well as good healthcare. Colombia makes it easy to retire there, and there is fairly cheap and quick flights to Florida on several airlines. What throws me is crime issues, it's getting more expensive with stability, and there's a limited area of the country that's safe to travel in with good weather. What I find attractive about Argentina, among many things, is the size of the country with unique regions. There's so much to see, and I'm enjoy roadtrips.

I enjoy movies, reading, walking, and sitting at restaurants reading USAToday. Which I can do on an iPad. Can do that about anywhere, especially with satellite tv and a Kindle. I find Mendoza to be attractive, but it might be out of my budget. If so I think San Juan might work, with a bus trip into Mendoza once in awhile. But that's the big question: are regional capitals like San Juan or San Luis affordable? I'll get around by bike, or take the bus. Any opinions on small cities like San Juan? Thanks!

Sorry. On 14K BA is not a place to be. The way inflation is going it will be 14K per quarter before the place melts down again. But there is a completely new player in the melt down risk.....called drugs and crime. Neither element was present during or before the previous 10 melts. So this next one is going to be very different and very dangerous.

SaraSara said:
On a US$14,000 per year retirement, I'd be afraid to get out of the dollar zone - the currency risk is too great.

Smallish US towns can be inexpensive and pleasant places to live. Lander, Wyoming, is one that comes to mind. Same for Fort Collins, CO.

I can't see making it in the U.S. without continuing to work. I've been working hard since I was 12 and am looking for some serious freedom. Hopefully I can find it in Argentina.

Back