If Not Argentina Then Where?

Steve, of course - that is a good point but if you have enough money to buy a place in cash, you're probably not quite so constrained by funds. The OP stated he is on a limited amount of 14K a year. So I wasn't assuming he was planning on buying a place here.

citygirl said:
Steve, of course - that is a good point but if you have enough money to buy a place in cash, you're probably not quite so constrained by funds. The OP stated he is on a limited amount of 14K a year. So I wasn't assuming he was planning on buying a place here.

Then you hit the nail right on the head.

But the OP later indicated that his income will be about $1800 plus Social Security of about $1300 per month. That is certainly enough for a decent retirement in Argentina at today's COL.

I wouldn't recommend anyone try to "retire" in Capital Federal on less than $2000 per month (at today's COL) if they didn't have the $$ to buy a place to live, and if they do have the $$ to buy, I would only recommend that they buy a PH, NOT an apartment (with monthly "consorcio" expenses).

Obviously, I now prefer the life in Provincia Bs. As, near the Costa Atlantica. I can't imagine returning to C.F. (or anywhere near it) to live, and I do plan to stay in Argentina.

Steve is right and where he lives in Bahia Blanca is another side of Argentina that very few expats know about . A world of low crime rates, friendly welcoming people and beautiful scenery.

Buenos Aires is for the wealthy and the patient but it is not the real Argentina .

perry said:
Steve is right and where he lives in Bahia Blanca is another side of Argentina that very few expats know about . A world of low crime rates, friendly welcoming people and beautiful scenery.

Buenos Aires is for the wealthy and the patient but it is not the real Argentina .

Thanks. Perry, It's amazing a "double digit IQ" guy like me could ever find a place like mine and have the life I have (without having to wear a helmet and bib 24/7).

steveinbsas said:
I just returned from WALMART in Bahia Blanca. Ironically, Hunt's Hickory Barbecue Sauce (imported) was slightly less per gram than Hellmann's Salsa Barbacoa. I buy and use both.

So is the Italian imported coffee! Segafredo is AR$57/kilo while the national brands were selling for AR$77/kilo and up!

(Apparently, I LOVE exclamation points!!!! I've just found a new punctuations mark called the interrobang: ‽)

My input:

I have friends who live in Buenos Aires (CF) on about 2,500 ARP per month, so it definitely is possible albeit not very pretty and I do doubt any will stay on as-is for more than 2 years.

The biggest constraint for a foreigner wishing to make residence here is the housing situation as a local rent isn't normally accessible, but it is possible to arrange something without a guarantor by putting up the first six months of rent.

Besides the big vacation spots, my only experience of rural Argentina life is Cañuelas, a small country town 45 minutes south-west of Capital Federal, passing Ezeiza. I spend about 30 hours a week there and things seem cheaper, but to be honest there aren't many places available to rent, I hear locals complaining about it every once in a while (and not in the just-not-the-perfect-place sort of way, but in the actually-no-listings sort of way), as well as other towns around the outskirts of BA. I mention it as I've thought this might be similar in other areas...?

You can find an old, Point A to Point B car for a couple thousand dollars, probably less, if you decide you need one.

Besides that, if you really want to come here, you can probably make it work without making too many sacrifices, and if you can't, or you get tired of the place, you can just go to India. You can definitely make it work in India, and the weather is definitely warm (north: dry warm, south: wet warm).

The cheap days of Argentina and Uruguay are really over. All of you "desperadoes" did it, why? Because that adorable house by the beach in Atlantida was 39000 dollars 5 years ago and now no Uruguayan can buy one unless they fork over 150,000 dollars. Thank you all for ruining the life of every Uruguayan that dream t to buy their own home; you guys raised the price of everything there from coffee to "asado". I am Uruguayan and I cannot afford to live there, but I find Hawaii way cheaper, thanks God. Florida is just amazingly cheap! So thanks, you keep the bureaucracy, the bad attitude, the hyennas biting at your wallet, and the bars in the windows for premium dollars and I get to enjoy the pleasure of living is beautifully cheap USA. As a matter of fact I just bought some land and built a small home for far less that I will ever spend in Uruguay. Starbucks is 2 bucks what a deal and I get free WiFI, health care is real, yes the natives are frisky but hey this is the States with laws...and conveniences...and yes we have the blue, blue Pacific Ocean. No copamientos, no overprices crappy homes. And if you make as little as 1000.00 you may even get food stamps. So come over here to the Big Island, 80 degree weather year round and you may even learn to plant your own avocadot, mangoes and lilikoi...chau enjoy the 20 days of beach you,ll get this summer in Uruguay.

I'm visiting Egypt at the moment. I've met some English people who spend every winter here. They tell me that there are 600 expats in Luxor. Must be more in Alexandria and Cairo. Once you get away from tourist prices it's very cheap here.

my advice is dont take any advice and dont monitor forums. Before the days of the internet how did people make decisions?!? Come for a holiday. Do what you want. See what happens. I'm happy, and i generally ignore most advice.

thebookcellar said:
my advice is dont take any advice and dont monitor forums. Before the days of the internet how did people make decisions?!? Come for a holiday. Do what you want. See what happens. I'm happy, and i generally ignore most advice.

Before chloroform doctors used to operate without anasthetic..that doesnt mean it`s such a bright idea to do that nowadays. If we ie the world all started trying to learn and benefit from the experience of others it would be a much happier and smarter world!

Back