If True, Cristina Can Kiss Vaca Muerta Goodbye

Even without fusion reactors I'm bearish on Vaca Muerta. As was mentioned above the oil $/barrel price is in a mach tuck and there are other places on the globe that have oil available with much less risk. Between the Saudi's trying to compete with natural gas and the Argentines who aren't known for their expertise in large energy projects or for their sense of fair play with those that do Vaca Muerta might be called simply muerta in the future.

Fracking & quality of water anyone?

Sounds like a pyrrhic victory to me.

Watch Gasland (YouTube) for instance (exemptions from the clean air/water Acts, etc.).

This is like North Korea discovering the cure to cancer.

I can see where you are coming from, but I am not sure the analogy is 100% correct. Sure, Lockheed Martin is part of the military-industrial complex and as such, it is involved neck deep with some of the dirtiest and most unethical government dealing imaginable. They are, for all intents and purposes, death dealers. That is obviously beyond dispute.

But they are more than that. Lockheed-Martin in general and the Skunk Works division in particular has been in the forefront of scientific research and development for 70 years, and their contribution to mankind on that aspect is also beyond dispute. From the Lunar Lander of the Apollo program, the Viking Mars landers, the Mars Odyssey probe, the Titan and Delta rockets to the Hubble Space Telescope, Lockheed Martin has been instrumental in developing revolutionary technologies for peaceful/scientific purposes that have dramatically altered our understanding of the universe and allowed us to explore space in ways that were previously impossible.

Lockheed Martin has a pretty significant evil side, but let's not ignore the good side too.

In some way I'm sad for Argentina as the Dead Cow is/was a shot at the brass ring. Just one last time. Maybe this is the kick in ass that is needed to put real heat on that project.

I don't get why this news is actually relevant for the outlook of Vaca Muerta. Maybe I'm too naive, but I'd assume that if someone actually solved the worlds energy problem - and not just claims some dream scenarios to get more government funding - it should appear on the front page of every newspaper, the stock price of the company should go through the roof, ... Nothing of which happened, ...

Well, it was in the front page of many news sites. But you do raise a good point in regard of the stock price. Could be that the market is skeptical about the claims made by Lockheed or, they are skeptical about Lockheed's ability to capitalize on the discovery.

Let's not forget that the modern computer UI was developed by Xerox, the digital camera was first developed by Kodak, the LCD was first developed by RCA, and the first cell phone developed by Motorola, and they all failed miserably in capitalizing on their discoveries. It could be that the market feels the same about Lockheed and fusion.

Well, just saw this. Apparently scientists are bashing how the press covered the Lockheed Martin's announcement.

"[font=Helvetica Neue']While headlines touted Lockheed's results as a "[/font]breakthrough[font=Helvetica Neue']" that could "[/font]change the world forever[font=Helvetica Neue']," the corporation used no such language in its press release. However, it appears that we will have to wait at least a little while longer before any reactor Lockheed envisions enters the market."[/font]

Scientists Are Bashing Lockheed Martin's Nuclear Fusion 'Breakthrough'

At any rate, with oil now bellow US$80, Vaca Muerta is indeed dead with or without fusion reaction.

Back