If You Were To Relocate, Where Would You Go? Ams Or Barna

Where would you relocate?

• Amsterdam

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Barcelona

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters
Split your decision, take a map of Europe, draw a straight line between AMS and BAR and settle there. Not sure in which country you'll end up... But that might be in the Périgord region where many brits have houses (and the food is great) :p

what a coincidence: I lived long in Amsterdam, I was raised there, and 6 years in BCN too. It all depends of your personal situation: for work is Amsterdam much better, the quality of work, the salaries, etc are there much better than in BCN.
But if you are able to find in these difficult times in Catalunya good paid job: go to Barna! You've there wonderful climate, beaches, mountain, excellent food, good flight connections to elsewhere in Europe. Life is cheaper than in Amsterdam but more expensive than Sevilla.
Barcelona is less cosmopolitan than Amsterdam though. And things don't work as good as in the Netherlands. But nevertheless: if you want to have fun in your life is BCN a better option.

The only issue with people in Barcelona is that they do not speak Spanish, they speak Catalan ;-). The weather is much nicer in Barcelona than in Amsterdam. Unless you like to smoke joints, then Amsterdam is the better choice.

Another issue to consider though: are you Latin American? If so, in Spain people look down on Latin Americans, because of the mentality from the colonial time living on and the many poor immigrants from Latin America. In the Netherlands, there is a mainly Arab immigration, so people do not like Arabs. If you are Latin American, in Amsterdam they will love you, you will be sexy and exotic.

Id choose Berlin! cheap rents, very cosmopolitan city but not great weather. I actually live 6 mths a year in Prague, thus estebandepraga!
Prague is a fabulous city, perhaps the most beautiful for its architecture and without a doubt, the most complete architecturally -speaking since it has all types of European architecture BUT many of the inhabitants are NOT the friendliest in the world! and many definitely not great fans of "cizince" foreigners. And I'd go to Berlin but after over 20 years of living in Prague, I have an established life and dont want to start all over again.
This has nothing to do with either BCM or AMS but , what the hell!

@estebandepraga
still a god tip, actually I would love to live in berlin due to the music scene, but first I have never been there, and secondly I guess that if I don't speak german it will be harder to establish and so. Need to go and see. And prague have been there, it seems that is nice to party but too rainy.

@toongeorges
Barna is the city where foreigners and with that I refer to a high number of south americans, are more integrated, as per statistics. You just have to walk around. A good catalan friend mention that catalans accept everyone since they are themselves sons of expats (germans, french, british,...) or people from another areas of spain that relocated (mostly andalucians), and the only thing they demand is that people integrate and if possible learn the language. Funny as it is, a canadian friend only speaks french and english, not even a single word of spanish and he has never been happier, still there!

@[background=rgb(230, 230, 230)]frenchie[/background]
nice tip :) I've lived in cote d'azur before, it's awesome. Never stayed in the perigord region, only crossed by car.
And I feel like if live in barna, i'll be closer than from amsterdam to visit that side of france ;)

Actually I'm in the pursuit of happiness, if I can call it like that, or "home". And for that I'm trying to reunite: nice weather, parties, good music scene, relaxed environment, good connection to travel, good food, good culture, nice people.
A'dam has it all, minus good weather - good food, and it wasn't easy to make friends.

I think people visiting barcelona has another spirit, the place is more hedonistic than A'dam, guess that it has the southern warm spirit. Can be easier

(* I'm not south american, I'm half angolan half portuguese - mulato - and have lived in sevilla for 4 years, 3 years a go.)

If your intuition tells you that you don't care for the people in Argentina and you can conveniently leave, then leave. I agree with you about the "VIP" attitude of many Argentines. In Europe you will be at the center of so much, especially culture and history with many options that you don't have in Argentina.

The only issue with people in Barcelona is that they do not speak Spanish, they speak Catalan ;-).

Actually, 99% of Catalans also speak "Castellano." Foreigners have no problems with the Catalan/Spanish issue. If you work or study there or are Spanish from another region, then it's an issue.

That said, if the OP is worried about people with a "VIP" attitude (I don't really know what that means), then Catalunya may not be the best place.

I love Amsterdam but have ruled out moving there as it's too cold. The wind makes it seem even colder than London, my hometown.

If you're hanging out in the club scene of a city you're never going to capture the "essence" of anywhere. Anyone that goes to a club and has money thinks they're VIP, that's just club goer mentality, greater that they really are. Most people that go to clubs are fake and have no essence. If you want to capture the "essence" of Buenos Aires then stop going to the clubs and go to where the real people are. If you can't walk the streets of Buenos Aires and capture the "essence," then it's you, not the city, that is lacking "essence." Good luck in your decision. (I don't believe in luck BTW)

Back