Ignorance?

Allow me to present some facts. Argentina has the lowest per capita productivity of any latin country. If you don't know the economic definition of productivity, that is output per hour worked (admittedly, the last ranking I read was a few years ago - so Venezuela may now occupy that prize). Argentina is tied for second place in the world for most national holidays. A fracking operation in the Vaca Muerta of Argentina, due to union regulations and low worker productivity, uses 2.5 times as many employees as one in the US. The current Argentine currency denomination has lopped of 13 zeros over the last 78 years. Thanks for reading.
Yes.Argentina has many national holidays,but workers here get only 2 weeks paid vacation,in europe,the minimum is a month.Also,who gives a crap about productivity?France has low productivity and is a great country to live in.

Man, whatever you take, double the dosage...

I don't even know where to start. Smarting from criticism that comparing wars 170 years apart makes little sense, and that comparing wars of aggression to independence rebellions makes even less sense, you proceed to invoke the British invasion of the River Plate.

Let's count the ways in which invoking this, in this context, is stupid:
  • Need I remind you that the UK was fighting with Spanish forces, not Argentina?
  • Need I remind you that the British were fighting in several other theaters at the same time, and this region - which they had never really controlled - was a comparatively low priority?
  • "Many of them were killed by house wives who dropped them boiling oil from the roof by house" -
    • Is that not exactly what I'd said - "where you are fighting for your own territory and can count on support from your own people" - to the letter? (See following paragraph regarding Spain).
    • Do you even remember the point you're arguing?
    • Do you even have a point?
  • Regarding Spain, whatever troops they sent, they were defeated by an army fighting on its own turf, which is how and why the vast majority of independence wars of that era were successful, be it the United States or most of South America.
    I am sure I have a lot to learn about the particulars of the Argentine one - only you know everything, after all. But the general point is clear regardless, as you yourself made clear in the preceding paragraph.
  • Finally, I am not making fun of your English, to the contrary I was trying to give you a pass for that. Unfortunately the quality of your logic would require that be a large pass indeed.

You happen to be right about that, but that was just a lucky guess.
To be fair,in this case,bajo is right,in the british invasions,most of the forces were in fact,local people,the regiment of patricios,the oldest regiment in the army,was founded there,by local people.

To be fair,in this case,bajo is right,in the british invasions,most of the forces were in fact,local people,the regiment of patricios,the oldest regiment in the army,was founded there,by local people.

Of course he was right on that.
Which was exactly my point: There is no comparing a war of independence (or a defensive war), "where you are fighting for your own territory and can count on support from your own people" - to a war of aggression, where you cannot.
Britain's mistake was that they thought they were fighting against the Spanish, discounting the importance of the population itself, which ended up playing a crucial role.
In fact, seeing as they did a better job of protecting themselves than the Spanish did of protecting them, it was there that the independence movement gained significant traction.

To return to the point here, it was bajo who ludicrously wanted to draw some kind of comparison between these British invasions to the Falklands War. Which makes about as much sense as comparing the wars in Vietnam or Iraq to the American Revolutionary War.

Yes.Argentina has many national holidays,but workers here get only 2 weeks paid vacation,in europe,the minimum is a month.Also,who gives a crap about productivity?France has low productivity and is a great country to live in.

Is this correct? I thought people in Argentina get more than two weeks after they have worked a certain number of years. Could Nikad clarify?

Is this correct? I thought people in Argentina get more than two weeks after they have worked a certain number of years. Could Nikad clarify?

Two weeks or 14 working days..... Is what you start with then you get extra days per year worked!

Everyone gets a Month in Europe..? East/West and Central?Also Russia ? :rolleyes:

Yes,you can accrue more,but the basic is two weeks,after maybe 20 years,you will get a month,which is less than people get from the start in europe

Two weeks or 14 working days..... Is what you start with then you get extra days per year worked!

Everyone gets a Month in Europe..? East/West and Central?Also Russia ? :rolleyes:
In the EU,by law,you have to get minimum a month,some countries give much more.In France if you work the extended week,that means,39 hours a aweek,you are entitled to 9,5 weeks paid vacation.Most of eastern europe,is EU now.

How long until you get a month?

How long until you get a month?
you get a week every 5 years at the same company. If you change employer you go back to two weeks unless you can negotiate. This is a lot by the way as this is mandatory for all workers in any role. So it is a significant cost for employers in the retail sector for example...

Just think of any public employee getting 10 weeks after 40 years of service irrespective of their merit. There are huge incentives to do unproductive work here.

Last edited:

Who gives a crap about productivity?

Did you forget to take Econ 101?

Economic productivity is the single most important determinant in standard of living.

France has a far higher level of economic productivity than you understand. It is miles ahead of Argentina in measures of productivity.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pensador Expat Life 14
nlaruccia Expat Life 29
J Expat Life 157
Back