The Height Of Ignorance.

nlaruccia

Registered
Today I was standing in line at Banco la Nacion to pay my taxes in the usual one hour line. An elderly woman became ill and a policeman and fireman attended her while waiting for the ambulance. The fireman was going to collect her jubilado and asked for two people to volunteer as witnesses. I agreed and when he saw on my DNI that I'm from the States, he asked what part. I told him I used to live in Califonia and he said that he had lived in Los Angeles for many years. The elderly women in front of me in line asked me if it was true that I was North American and that I had lived in California. I told her it was but that I had lived in Buenos Aires for over ten years. She asked what I was doing here and I replied that my parents were Argentine. She was shocked, because I didn't look like the typical Argentine with such pale skin, even though my hair is black. I didn't fit the profile for the typical North American. I guess she thinks that because I was born in the States, my skin magically turned white rather than inheriting the dark complexion of my parents. She professed she couldn't believe that the fireman used to live in the States because he was dark skinned and didn't fit the profile of someone that was capable of living in the States. I just about flipped out. Me quede' helada. I asked her what one's skin color has to do with it. I explained to her that in the States there are Latinos, Asians, Native Americans, African Americans, etc. She seemed totally shocked and said that she wasn't aware of the fact. I felt so bad for the young Native American Argentine with bronze skin standing next to me, listening to the whole conversation. To make matter worse, or maybe I should consider it hilarious, this woman didn't seem to realize how stupid and ignorant she sounded. It's 2014. Has she been living in a cave?

Today I was standing in line at Banco la Nacion to pay my taxes in the usual one hour line. An elderly woman became ill and a policeman and fireman attended her while waiting for the ambulance. The fireman was going to collect her jubilado and asked for two people to volunteer as witnesses. I agreed and when he saw on my DNI that I'm from the States, he asked what part. I told him I used to live in Califonia and he said that he had lived in Los Angeles for many years. The elderly women in front of me in line asked me if it was true that I was North American and that I had lived in California. I told her it was but that I had lived in Buenos Aires for over ten years. She asked what I was doing here and I replied that my parents were Argentine. She was shocked, because I didn't look like the typical Argentine with such pale skin, even though my hair is black. I didn't fit the profile for the typical North American. I guess she thinks that because I was born in the States, my skin magically turned white rather than inheriting the dark complexion of my parents. She professed she couldn't believe that the fireman used to live in the States because he was dark skinned and didn't fit the profile of someone that was capable of living in the States. I just about flipped out. Me quede' helada. I asked her what one's skin color has to do with it. I explained to her that in the States there are Latinos, Asians, Native Americans, African Americans, etc. She seemed totally shocked and said that she wasn't aware of the fact. I felt so bad for the young Native American Argentine with bronze skin standing next to me, listening to the whole conversation. To make matter worse, or maybe I should consider it hilarious, this woman didn't seem to realize how stupid and ignorant she sounded. It's 2014. Has she been living in a cave?
I normally find your point of view spot on but here we may disagree. You mention she was elderly. Cant you conceive that the world she grew up in has changed so radically beyond her comprehension? I distinctly remember aged 10/11 studing the sufragettes at school and asking my grandmother what that moment was like when emily davidson threw herself in front of the horse in the name of suffrage. My grandmother born 189os was no more aware of its importance or impact than the day of first manned flight. This lady likely grew up in a black and white world of stereotypes and meeting you and the fireman may be the first challenge to such. Be glad you helped her reach new understandings but dont judge her too harshly as age may leave us all in its wake and seemingly ignorant and crude to the new generation around us.

I normally find your point of view spot on but here we may disagree. You mention she was elderly. Cant you conceive that the world she grew up in has changed so radically beyond her comprehension? I distinctly remember aged 10/11 studing the sufragettes at school and asking my grandmother what that moment was like when emily davidson threw herself in front of the horse in the name of suffrage. My grandmother born 189os was no more aware of its importance or impact than the day of first manned flight. This lady likely grew up in a black and white world of stereotypes and meeting you and the fireman may be the first challenge to such. Be glad you helped her reach new understandings but dont judge her too harshly as age may leave us all in its wake and seemingly ignorant and crude to the new generation around us.

I understand your point, but I wasn't in the province in some provincial town. BA is a huge cosmopolitan city full or immigrants from Africa, China, Korea, U.S.,and Europe.

Totally ignorant. But as well as there exist these people it also exist american ignorance, who think Argentina is a city from the US (really, I heard it from a NBA american player), and or know nothing of here, which is as you said cosmopolitan, or think that we live in cabins in the middle or the jungle or we are similar to mexicans. There are lots of stereotypes about south america, and a huge percentage of americans believe that story.

Totally ignorant. But as well as there exist these people it also exist american ignorance, who think Argentina is a city from the US (really, I heard it from a NBA american player), and or know nothing of here, which is as you said cosmopolitan, or think that we live in cabins in the middle or the jungle or we are similar to mexicans. There are lots of stereotypes about south america, and a huge percentage of americans believe that story.

Curious as a basketball fan: which player said that?

sadly, many americans either think that buenos aires is in brazil (yes, this is the response i got MANY times when i told people I was coming here), or that every country that speaks spanish is mexico, judging by the number of comments Ive gotten about how many tacos I must have been eating since I got here. Little do they know that the mexican food here leaves much to be desired :/

Back