Ignorance?

Brit_In_BA

Registered
I am an English guy who has been here for a while. Once I was in a conversation with two Argentinian men with my Scottish friend. When he told them he was Scottish, no problem. When I told them I was English, the response was "ah, we don't like the English" (of course because of the war). Was it just these two dumbasses that don't understand it was the whole of the UNITED KINGDOM vs Argentina, or is that the general consensus in the country? Because at least four other people I have spoken to struggle to understand the difference between England and the United Kingdom. Ignorance really frustrates me but even more so when it involves hate directed at me. Three times now I have experienced negativity towards me/my country in Argentina, disappointing.

(Edit) I know this country is full of kind and lovely people, they are everywhere. But unfortunately the population of assholes seems to be more prevalent here than the 20 odd other countries I have visited

Last edited:
I think you were with th wrong people but I can tell you that most people here admire the english culture and are interested in their culture and language.

Most Argentinos would be completely ignorant of the concept of UK vs. England, it's true. But they are also schizophrenic in their feelings about England and the English. I always imagine a scene where some Argentine comes home, changes from his Union Jack festooned leather jacket and puts on his Albiceleste jersey (while listening to the Beatles or Queen), and then goes down to the Torre Monumental for the Malvinas demonstration.

Edit - I forgot to mention that that guy rides a vintage Ariel and loves MINI Coopers.

The Argentines that I have met that have lived in the west have not done very well and have not enjoyed it. They didn't understand that when your employer says that work starts at 9 am, that means 9 am.

"The West"? Serio?
Europe is to the east.
The USA is to the north.

It is true that Chile is to the west, and I know Argentines that enjoy that...

I know of a bunch of Argentines who live in the north who do very well- All over the US and Canada, I know people who are professors, filmmakers, musicians, curators, writers, and more who are successful in their fields, would not move back to Argentina, and who work harder than most of their peers.

Maybe you are thinking of the Western Lands-

Argentina has changed last years because people came here from all over places, people educated and not educated and they have children here -now argentineans- (it is is a free entry country -is one of the few countries with easy acces, and therefore multicultural now, for employment and health opportunities and for its original open and modern culture-, and that's why there has been a lot of immigration in the last 20 years that are more ignorant or maybe aggressive culture, and that's more in Buenos Aires (all innmigrants came here). The original culture of the Argentinean, is polite and educated (original natives or children and grandchildren of Europeans and their mixture...who are working and educated people). Of course there are educated immigrants, but being a country without obstacles to immigration,came people also without education, and that is inherited in their children. Anyway the problem of aggression and ignorance is worldwide, the people of first world countries are also very disrespectful and less and less reading (they also build myths about the people of latin america that are false: for example, that women are all submissive; false, more and more educated women, with professions, especially in Brazil and Argentina.
Most Argentinos would be completely ignorant of the concept of UK vs. England, it's true. But they are also schizophrenic in their feelings about England and the English. I always imagine a scene where some Argentine comes home, changes from his Union Jack festooned leather jacket and puts on his Albiceleste jersey (while listening to the Beatles or Queen), and then goes down to the Torre Monumental for the Malvinas demonstration.

Edit - I forgot to mention that that guy rides a vintage Ariel and loves MINI Coopers.

you live here?, it's not funny you make fun of our culture...aggression and ignorance there are also in the Europeans, american people (from United States, and other regions)PS: americans is the people of all the continent by the way...the U.S. seeks to expropriate us also from our geographic location.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Last edited:
"The West"? Serio?
Europe is to the east.
The USA is to the north.

It is true that Chile is to the west, and I know Argentines that enjoy that...

I know of a bunch of Argentines who live in the north who do very well- All over the US and Canada, I know people who are professors, filmmakers, musicians, curators, writers, and more who are successful in their fields, would not move back to Argentina, and who work harder than most of their peers.

Maybe you are thinking of the Western Lands-
many argentineans insist on residing here despite their high qualification, migrating or not, also depends on personal issues (not just employment)

I am an English guy who has been here for a while. Once I was in a conversation with two Argentinian men with my Scottish friend. When he told them he was Scottish, no problem. When I told them I was English, the response was "ah, we don't like the English" (of course because of the war). Was it just these two dumbasses that don't understand it was the whole of the UNITED KINGDOM vs Argentina, or is that the general consensus in the country? Because at least four other people I have spoken to struggle to understand the difference between England and the United Kingdom. Ignorance really frustrates me but even more so when it involves hate directed at me. Three times now I have experienced negativity towards me/my country in Argentina, disappointing.

(Edit) I know this country is full of kind and lovely people, they are everywhere. But unfortunately the population of assholes seems to be more prevalent here than the 20 odd other countries I have visited

Two argentineans are not 35 millions, dont generalize...you cannot build a vision of a country from the dialogue with two or five people

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pensador Expat Life 14
nlaruccia Expat Life 29
J Expat Life 157
Back