Ignorance?

The" Malvinas War" caused many Argentinians to Dislike the "English" and furthermore they also dislike "Chilenos", for providing the "English" logistical support. that enabled the "English" to win the War..? IMHO

The" Malvinas War" caused many Argentinians to Dislike the "English" and furthermore they also dislike "Chilenos", for providing the "English" logistical support. that enabled the "English" to win the War..? IMHO

I agree. Fondness for things "English" is larger limited to the traditional aging upper class who have a very old fashioned idea of what England is like - a vision of England before multi-culturalism. The England of Afternoon Tea, furled umbrellas and bowler hats that doesn't exist anymore.

I agree. Fondness for things "English" is larger limited to the traditional aging upper class who have a very old fashioned idea of what England is like - a vision of England before multi-culturalism. The England of Afternoon Tea, furled umbrellas and bowler hats that doesn't exist anymore.

Those who still believe "Dowton Abbey" lifestyle Still Exists? :rolleyes:

mmmm Argentines dont't hate anyone, if it were like that, we wouldnt be a country open to immigration. The argentines only felt hurt because the territory was ours, England insists, the military argentinean at power took very young men to´the war to die (no more than 21 years old) knowing we were going to lose it, and it hurt that our chilean brothers betrayed us.(not the people, government).. I see more hatred towards our country than from argentines to the outside... in fact I insist, it is a country open to the world (that is not done by any nation almost and even so it is insulted). PS: the majority of the chilean and argentinean people are actually brothers because we live in common tyrannical military governments at the 1970s

...I insist, generalizing is immature.

Last edited:
I'm a yank and better educated and informed than most Americans (I DID NOT vote for Trump) and I can not keep it all straight. There's England, and the United Kingdom, and Great Britain, and the British Isles, and the Commonwealth of Nations. Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland are somehow related to one or more of those but I am not sure how. I am pretty sure that whatever Queen Elizabeth is queen of includes Scotland. And yet I think I have heard that Scotland seems to think that it can remain in the EU while England (or the UK or whatever) leaves. I have been to London and love it. I have reverence for the Magna Carta and love the BBC. I have often booked up on the relationship between England and its family of additional geopolitical pieces but over time it fades.
But I don't think I understand your complaint. Was the guy ignorant because he should have said "we don't like the citizens of the United Kingdom"? (If you are British does that mean that you are a citizen of Great Britain or the UK?) Or was he ignorant because he held the English responsible for the actions of the entire UK? I don't think the English can escape responsibility for the actions of the UK anymore than I'd argue that Floridians can escape responsibility for the actions of the US.

None of us are responsible for the complexity of our history but I don't think that we can expect the rest of the world to understand it.

Bob

I am an English guy who has been here for a while. Once I was in a conversation with two Argentinian men with my Scottish friend. When he told them he was Scottish, no problem. When I told them I was English, the response was "ah, we don't like the English" (of course because of the war). Was it just these two dumbasses that don't understand it was the whole of the UNITED KINGDOM vs Argentina, or is that the general consensus in the country? Because at least four other people I have spoken to struggle to understand the difference between England and the United Kingdom. Ignorance really frustrates me but even more so when it involves hate directed at me. Three times now I have experienced negativity towards me/my country in Argentina, disappointing.

(Edit) I know this country is full of kind and lovely people, they are everywhere. But unfortunately the population of assholes seems to be more prevalent here than the 20 odd other countries I have visited

Those who still believe "Dowton Abbey" lifestyle Still Exists? :rolleyes:
Yes, sort of. Even a lot of Amerikuns think this way. Many Anglophiles wish it were that way. Some years ago an English friend, very lonely in Argentina, joined up with a group of Anglo-Argentines (for those who don't know, Anglo-Argentines are Argentines of British descent. Their grandparents, great grandparents or even far more removed ancestors emigrated from Britain but they cling to a hyphenated identity. Many still have British passports. Traditionally they spoke English at home, had their own churches, clubs etc. but now they are fast aging and assimilating) to keep herself busy. One of the groups she got involved in was the Royal British Legion. There used to be a fair number of Anglo-Argentines who had served in the British army in WWII. Of course just about all are dead now. They used to sustain this group. Anyway, she used to attend their meetings and some other activities at the now defunct English Club. She decided to orgainise a group of people during what I think is also the no longer British Film Festival Week which I believe was sponsored by the British Council. The old men who agreed to attend were expecting a kind of Downton Abbey film about aristocratic life. Instead it was (as I recall) a Ken Loach film that included homosexual scenes. It was quite a shock to the old folks but it was a more accurate slice of British life than what they had expected. Being removed from the Motherland for decades (or never even having lived there) isolates people from the changes that have occurred and tends to cause people to imagine a more romantic vision than what really existed. By contrast, a more down-to-earth Anglo-Argentine friend admits that his father emigrated because there was more opportunity in Argentina, far faster advancement and they were sick of poor, grimy Glasgow a century or more ago.

I did prep school in the UK at the time of the Malvinas war...I can talk about horror discriminatory stories. Ignorance is part of humanity everywhere, However countries that have a lot of resources to be more self educated, at times are not:)

Generally speaking Europeans are more educated about the world than lets say Americans ( It is very common for Americans to think that Argentina is part of Brazil ). In spite of having lots of Irish, Welsh and Scottish descendants, most people associate the UK with England only. Due to past history ( English invasions, Malvinas, etc ) I guess it is hard for people to understand they are also part of the UK. Argentine people really love Irish, Scots and Welsh. About England there are mixed feelings. We all agree here that English rock and pop bands are the best though :)

Two argentineans are not 35 millions, dont generalize...you cannot build a vision of a country from the dialogue with two or five people

For sure you can't, but see my last point. This country is full of lovely people, but also full of a holes. To have people openly say these comments 3/4 times in 8 months is a lot, especially when I've only told about 15 people I'm English. They represent a minority, but probably a large minority. Anyways my girl is Argentinian and I think naturally this is the most varied and beautiful country in the world so these imbeciles don't change much. It's just frustrating

"The West"? Serio?
Europe is to the east.
The USA is to the north.

It is true that Chile is to the west, and I know Argentines that enjoy that...

I know of a bunch of Argentines who live in the north who do very well- All over the US and Canada, I know people who are professors, filmmakers, musicians, curators, writers, and more who are successful in their fields, would not move back to Argentina, and who work harder than most of their peers.

Maybe you are thinking of the Western Lands-
Allow me to present some facts. Argentina has the lowest per capita productivity of any latin country. If you don't know the economic definition of productivity, that is output per hour worked (admittedly, the last ranking I read was a few years ago - so Venezuela may now occupy that prize). Argentina is tied for second place in the world for most national holidays. A fracking operation in the Vaca Muerta of Argentina, due to union regulations and low worker productivity, uses 2.5 times as many employees as one in the US. The current Argentine currency denomination has lopped of 13 zeros over the last 78 years. Thanks for reading.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pensador Expat Life 14
nlaruccia Expat Life 29
J Expat Life 157
Back