Iguazu Falls With Young Kids

Jad7

Registered
Hi all,

New to the BAexpat community website; been in BA 3 weeks.

Would like to go to Iguazu falls, but not sure that is feasible with a toddler and a baby. Is falls viewing family friendly? I have visions of swimming with the fishes...

Cheers.

Great place with kids. Walkways everywhere. You may not see everything but you will see most of it.

If you can, stay at the Sheraton. It's the only hotel in the park.

T/

If you go to Brazilian side also, visit parque de aves. It's amazing for kids (and adults).

Great trip with kids! Our child loved it. Just know that there are two sides to the falls, one in Brazil and one in Argentina. In my opinion, the view from Brazil is better, but the direct falls access in Argentina is better. You really only need three days there. Once you've seen the falls, there's not much else to do. We did the boat trip that takes you under a smaller fall, which still really dumps. We all thought it was awesome. Just look for the oldest tour guide and hope she or he has done it a few times! Have fun!

Great trip with kids! Our child loved it. Just know that there are two sides to the falls, one in Brazil and one in Argentina. In my opinion, the view from Brazil is better, but the direct falls access in Argentina is better. You really only need three days there. Once you've seen the falls, there's not much else to do. We did the boat trip that takes you under a smaller fall, which still really dumps. We all thought it was awesome. Just look for the oldest tour guide and hope she or he has done it a few times! Have fun!
Something to note (it happened to us). If you have an Argentine passport you can travel at will to/from the Brazilian side. A US passport needs a Brazilian visa, though, so it takes some planning if that's your goal.

Hi Jad7, Visting the falls is all pretty much about walking. A lot. Personally I don't think it is the best trip to do with a toddler and a baby, unless you are both willing to carry them most of the time. And really keep an eye on the toddler! As others have mentioned here, there are two sides. The falls are actually on the Argentine side, and there are several paths, all of which are beautiful, but you need to walk them to really appreciate all the views. The weather is mostly rainy (I went there twice and only got one sunny day in all), so make sure you each take a waterproof cape if you have one - they rip you off if you buy them there. On the Brazilian side it's like standing before the full greatness of the falls, and there is not as much walking to do. They also have a train that you can take and go for a ride in the jungle. Parque das aves and Sendero Macuco (both on the Brazilian side) are recommendable. Another great place to check out on the Argentine side is La Aripuca (http://www.aripuca.com.ar/espanol/home). And the Triple Border (Triple Frontera) between Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay offers a great view. A good idea is to rent a car... it will help you make the most of your time there, specially with the kids. I know there is a bus, but I have been told the service isn't all that good and you waste much time waiting for it. But the place is really beautiful!

A few warnings,

1/ check that the falls pathways are fully opened again. Some were damaged over the Christmas period due to the heavy rainfall and subsequent water flow.

2/ This time of year its extremely hot and humid. I`ve done it with a 3 and 6 year old and they both wanted to go home after and hour. Tempers fray because of the heat, they get tired because of all the walking, so you end up carrying them. For them , its you`ve seen one waterfall you`ve seen them all. The only highlight was some of the animals that they saw.

3/ There are lots of steps to go up and down so really try not to bring a child buggy. Best use a sling for the baby. The toddler you will end up carrying most of the time.

4/ If you do go to the Argentine side, just do the train to the first stop. Then do the circuit around there and then walk back to the first train stop and walk back to the entrance from there its only 10mins walk. Otherwise you`ll have to get the train to the other parts and the queues are huge, you must get off the train and queue again . Trains go once every 15mins or so and you`d probably have to wait for the next train because of the queues. At least that was the case when we went last februrary.

Something to note (it happened to us). If you have an Argentine passport you can travel at will to/from the Brazilian side. A US passport needs a Brazilian visa, though, so it takes some planning if that's your goal.

As far as I understood, if you are not planning to fly from brazil, you don't need visa. Actually, you don't even stop on the brazilian side (we went 3 times, and stopped only before flying out from brazil). Only on Argentinian side they are checking papers.

As far as I understood, if you are not planning to fly from brazil, you don't need visa. Actually, you don't even stop on the brazilian side (we went 3 times, and stopped only before flying out from brazil). Only on Argentinian side they are checking papers.

I have been maybe 15 times to Foz de Iguazu via the land border over the last 5 years. I have never been asked to show my passport. Whereas Argentine customs and immigration officials look at papers and inside your car, the only thing we have had from the Brazilians is a friendly wave.

The same happens at Ciudad del Este in Paraguay.

the locals tell me , only present yourself to the immigration people if you are not returning to Argentina and flying out of that country.

Thank-you all for your informative replies! We will give it a go even now knowing it will be a bit of a tough slog schlepping the Kidlits around. We really rely on our two seater stroller here in BA, but looks like we will go with a sling for Iguazu (and rain capes). If we don't get to see 'everything' that's okay. Good to know about the train and the Brazil side. Hadn't considered Brazil as we have Cdn passports and I thought a visa was necessary. Given the above info., I think we will attempt it. Happy travels.

Thanks again.

Back