Iguazu hotel recommendations, please

here4now

Registered
Hola

I am looking for good hotel (up to US$125) recommendations for both Argentine and Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls (for January stay).

BTW, I just booked RT on Pluna Air for US$175 which was less than half the fare with LAN ($370) or Aerolineas Argentine ($407). Pluna goes via Montevideo so ends up being a 6 hr flight with the layover.

we had a wonderful time back in Sept at the Boutique Hotel Lafonte. The owner (Simone) was extremely helpful in arranging things for us, and the room and grounds were really lovely. I think we paid $140 US, and which I felt was excellent value for what we got and in relation to what else was on offer at the time. You can PM me if you have any questions

we like the Sheraton because it is the only hotel inside the park.
Nancy

Been to Iguazu 6 times now (EVERYONE who has visited us from the States wants to go). Sheraton is in the park but the food at the hotel is HORRIBLE. Kind of like they have you trapped so they care less about it. Worse Sheraton I ever stayed at. We stayed at the Hotel St. George every other time: http://www.hotelsaintgeorge.com/inicio_i.html.

It is in the center of town; right across the street from the bus station (there are buses leaving every 1/2 an hour I believe to/from the park) so the hotel is very convenient. Plus there is a restaurant downstairs which is decent, one across the street which is excellent, and one to the right of the bus station which is fancier but good as well.

Don't drink the water obviously (although I feel it is fine to do here in Buenos Aires) and make sure to use bottled water to brush your teeth. The St. George even provides bottled water in the bathroom for that purpose.

I've stayed at the Sheraton International several times. The last time was a few years ago. Food was mediocre but the setting is fabulous -- no other hotel allows you to be IN the park, so close to the falls. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. As for the hotel, it was comfortable but maybe it has deteriorated. I don't know.

Yeah we stayed there 6 years ago and the experience was so bad... Perhaps it has improved.

Just a note, this only applies to visits to the Argentine side only:

If you go in summer, you can leave BA in the morning, see the falls, and return the same day. The days are plenty long enough to do everything in one day. After a few hours you will have seen the whole park.

Therefore there is no reason to book a hotel and waste the money and time.The city of Iguazu is not really worth seeing.

Also, don't forget you need a visa to get into Brazil if you are from the USA. (Although one time I paid a taxi driver to smuggle me and my 83 year old mother).

I was there last Nov. and the remis driver from the airport told me the Brazilians are cracking down on the taxis smuggling Americans in from Argentina. I cannot say this is true or not, just what I was told.

Back