Yellow fever and Iguazu

Sudovest

Registered
Has anyone gone to Iguazu falls and not gotten the yellow fever vaccination? We are flying to Rio de Janeiro Vente Iguazu falls on the Brazilian side, then doing a land border, crossing and flying out of Iguazu on the Argentinian side to Buenos Aires.

First - I’m concerned about the yellow vaccine vaccination because my son is 10 months old and there is a higher risk for encephalitis with the vaccine around nine months old or younger. It doesn’t look like any cases have been reported recently, but does anyone have any recent epidemiological data from Argentina?

Second, I don’t see anything on the argentine government website, but can we travel from Brazil to Argentina without an international yellow vaccine card?

There haven't been any warnings about yellow fever epidemics this summer yet. There have been in the past, before the pandemic, and the vaccines ran out here in Buenos Aires, but this year has been quiet.

My wife and her sister crossed the border to Brazil in Iguazu in both directions in December without any yellow fever related documentation being asked for. And we crossed the border to Paraguay in both directions last month, again nobody asked for anything.

If you don't see anything in the entry requirements on the government website I think you're good to go. Careful with the coaties!

There haven't been any warnings about yellow fever epidemics this summer yet. There have been in the past, before the pandemic, and the vaccines ran out here in Buenos Aires, but this year has been quiet.

My wife and her sister crossed the border to Brazil in Iguazu in both directions in December without any yellow fever related documentation being asked for. And we crossed the border to Paraguay in both directions last month, again nobody asked for anything.

If you don't see anything in the entry requirements on the government website I think you're good to go. Careful with the coaties!
Thanks so much! Did your wife and sister in law have the yellow fever vaccine?

Are the coaties aggressive?? They look cute!

Thanks so much! Did your wife and sister in law have the yellow fever vaccine?

Are the coaties aggressive?? They look cute!
My wife and I do have the vaccine (from about 4 years ago, I think), not sure about the SIL.

And yes, believe me the coaties are aggressive, especially around food.

I was there at the beginning of January 2023 and did not see any requirement anywhere that the yellow fever vaccine was mandatory. I vaccinated anyway, as this is a once in a lifetime.
By the way when I was there the weather was almost perfect, with low humidity and zero mosquitoes, but despite what we were told we could not see a single coati!

Second, I don’t see anything on the argentine government website, but can we travel from Brazil to Argentina without an international yellow vaccine card?
It's not required nor checked at either side of the border.

I was there at the beginning of January 2023 and did not see any requirement anywhere that the yellow fever vaccine was mandatory. I vaccinated anyway, as this is a once in a lifetime.
By the way when I was there the weather was almost perfect, with low humidity and zero mosquitoes, but despite what we were told we could not see a single coati!
I want to vaccinate but I'm concerned since my wife is breastfeeding and my son is 10 months old, just over the 9 month old mark where you can get vaccinated

I want to vaccinate but I'm concerned since my wife is breastfeeding and my son is 10 months old, just over the 9 month old mark where you can get vaccinated
According to the CDC Yellow Fever vaccine should be avoided in breastfeeding women. I don't know about your son, but probably better wait.
I got vaccinated in the United States, but I know that there is this place:
https://goo.gl/maps/3YG8iBSVjfmAxdXh6

where supposedly you can get free vaccination. However I have never been there.

According to the CDC Yellow Fever vaccine should be avoided in breastfeeding women. I don't know about your son, but probably better wait.
I got vaccinated in the United States, but I know that there is this place:
https://goo.gl/maps/3YG8iBSVjfmAxdXh6

where supposedly you can get free vaccination. However I have never been there.
The problem is it takes 10 days for the vaccine to work. I think that we will use permetherin on our clothes, picaridin insect repellent and use mosquito nets.

The problem is it takes 10 days for the vaccine to work. I think that we will use permetherin on our clothes, picaridin insect repellent and use mosquito nets.
You are right, I forgot about that. If you are going to encounter the same weather I did in January, mosquitoes won't be a big problem.

Back