I'm Afraid My Landlord Is Not Going To Return My Deposit

What she says doesn't make a lot of sense to me. She seems to be implying she's already spent the pesos of your deposit?

I'd probably withhold the last month's rent.... although that starts an antagonist relationship. You could play the same game of "I have no funds" and tell her to take the rent money out of the deposit... or if there's not too much difference, let her keep the deposit. Give the keys back when she gives your deposit back. If she's really tight on funds and so frugal with money, she probably doesn't want to have to call a locksmith.

What she says doesn't make a lot of sense to me. She seems to be implying she's already spent the pesos of your deposit?

I'd probably withhold the last month's rent.... although that starts an antagonist relationship. You could play the same game of "I have no funds" and tell her to take the rent money out of the deposit... or if there's not too much difference, let her keep the deposit. Give the keys back when she gives your deposit back. If she's really tight on funds and so frugal with money, she probably doesn't want to have to call a locksmith.
She wasn't implying she spent the deposit, she said flat out she was going to spend it (I let it slide) - and given that she asked me to pay the second months rent early. She did spend it. As I mentioned she lost a legal contest and had to pay up. She told me she was borrowing money from her son (who lives in the same building).

Here is my thinking now: with the next rent payment (the last) I will ask her "Are you going to keep this for my deposit. Are you sure you will have money to return my deposit? Are You Sure?" If she says no - then I won't handle over the rent (and I'll change one lock). My Cuban friend cuts hair, so I'll pay her to come cut my hair the last day and also act like she's my "new roommate" with her 8 year old son. She keeps my winter gear anyway when I leave Buenos AIres. She lives out in provincia with her boyfriend.

My thinking is just not to make plans and be prepared to stay for a month - it's obviously very inconvenient not to be able to make plans in advance. If she does have the deposit, I'll go to a hotel for a few days or a week and make my travel arrangements. Inconvenient and an extra expense.

I'd let her know I might be moving to a different location/city and (playing the "I'm-not-sure-how-it's-done" card) ask her how she'd like to proceed. If your relation with her has been good, if she knows the apartment has been taken care of and nothing is missing, she might suggest taking the last month rent out of the deposit.

Reactions: Joe
Maybe just ask her? "Hey landlord, I know you said you were going to spend my deposit. I am leaving on X date. Do you want to use the deposit money in lieu of the last month's rent? Otherwise, I need you to confirm that you will have deposit money for me on X date."

Ask her over before you pay the last month rent to check the mint condition of the apartment. Mention you have firm travel and apt bookings in Uruguay and show some reservation fake papers .Ask her please for your deposit 30 days in advance because you need the money urgently. If she claims she will not have the money you know what you are dealing with, then you retort Well then will not pay the last month rent....!!

I Had cases of deductions of cleaning fees, and other supposed problems, to keep a third of the deposit-

Yes after all, saying you're leaving, but not too far, otherwise the LL might think "oh well! if he goes that far, there's no way he can go after me to get back the money!"

Back