I'm Looking To Transfer To Uba - Any Advice?

I do plan on staying in Latinoamerica for my career because a lot of my family lives there and I am very much in love with the continent, so that isn't a problem to me.
Good. One more good job for the other guys.

Hmm okay, I looked into it but I'm not really understanding the whole gist of what it is. Basically it's just a bunch of core classes? I would be okay with taking these classes but I'm more concerned with how exactly I become matriculated into the school itself. Do you know if you apply to this separate from the uni? I'm not sure exactly what to do about knowing about this.

Carreers in UBA last longer than other (private) universities. 5 years + what we call the CBC or Ciclo Basico Comun which works as a filter, to make the level uniform, to standarize and homogeneize people that come from different high schools with different levels, etc.
There are 6 exams and take a year. You could give the exams and skip the year. After you approve you enter to the carrer itself.
So UBA carreers last minimum 6 years, two years more than private universities. What usually happens is as people study AND work here, they take their time, so they last like 10 years. Not everyone, but it happens a lot. Longer carreers like Medicine, is very common.
Those 2+ years, in general is what gives UBA some distinction, like a more complete and inclusive grounding.

As Matias said, you take the Ciclo Basico first. From what I gather from his post, you can challenge the classes and just take the final exams.

Hi,

Let me answer that one, just to troll and complain about his sad life.

Cheers!
Not sad at all. In fact, pretty satisfied. But I do see allot of really sad cases on this here. Stating that you are going make a life altering decision because you are "in love with the continent" is sad, real sad.

You should look into private schools - it will be much easier to transfer your credits than UBA. Universidad de Belgrano (www.ub.edu.ar) has one of the largest and best organized Study Abroad departments.

I think your best shot is with them - most other schools will try to recognize as little credits as possible so that you take (and pay for) more classes. I had a friend who worked at the Study Abroad department at UCES and most of the times they wouldn't even recognize credits for courses their own students had taken while studying abroad under a program they sponsored themselves.

At least you know you'll be done in less than 4 years. UBA will be at least 5 and a half, plus (although it's good by academic standards) the public school system will be a nightmare if you're used to the US college system where almost everything is taken care of for the student. I knew a girl who was studying at Universidad de La Plata for a year - her father came to visit, took a short tour of the school, and flew her back with him to the States.

It depends on what you are studying as to whether or not a private school is a better option -- I think for instance Universidad de Belgrano is supposed to have a good accounting programme but some of their other degrees aren't that well recognised. Matias is right -- when I went to my husband's graduation from engineering at the Universidad Tecnologica Nacional there were some guys there who were well into their 30s -- they get jobs, work along the way, do the minimum per year. Honestly though, I think this prolongment of university degrees is contributing to the immaturity of a lot of people here in their 20s!

Back