I'm Looking To Transfer To Uba - Any Advice?

It depends on what you are studying as to whether or not a private school is a better option -- I think for instance Universidad de Belgrano is supposed to have a good accounting programme but some of their other degrees aren't that well recognised. Matias is right -- when I went to my husband's graduation from engineering at the Universidad Tecnologica Nacional there were some guys there who were well into their 30s -- they get jobs, work along the way, do the minimum per year. Honestly though, I think this prolongment of university degrees is contributing to the immaturity of a lot of people here in their 20s!

Yup, you're right. UB's degrees are well-recognized in these areas: Law & Social Sciences (International Affairs, Political Science, etc.), English / Languages, Business Administration, Marketing, etc. But you should NOT go there for Engineering or Computer Science.

Generally, UB sucks. I suggest you go to UBA, totally free, but with huge bureaucracy stuffs. But you will make it, UBA is very massive and private Universities, excepting a few, have a high school style, like taking care of the students as if they were children.

What the OP doesn't yet know is that to even begin studying an undergraduate degree in UBA, you must have a covalidated HIGH SCHOOL diploma. If your high school diploma is from the US, this means you will have to pass 6 equivalency exams. This is true even if you already have credits, a bachelor's degree, or 15 PhDs.

There are multiple threads that discuss this. In one of them, I posted a link to the Ministerio de Educación that outlines the exact process you must follow.

Hmmm. I have already spoken to a representative of Belgrano because someone in my university has a contact with one of them. I have a skype session with her tomorrow. It is true that it would probably be easier since they recognize my high school diploma/a lot of my credits already; I am studying anthropology right now and in general will remain in social sciences definitely, I'm not sure which of these unis is better.

As far as the 6 exams go, I understand that theyre a pain to do but I am sure I would be able to pass them since I did go to high school? It does seem like UBA would be generally a better education, and UB a more convienent transition most likely.

I am in the works of getting my Colombian citizenship since my mom is a citizen and it would make things easier for me. Does this have any effect on how hard it might be to attend UBA?

Sidenote: I wanna mention that although I have spent the majority of my life in the U.S (in Miami no less) I have visited Latin America plenty and am well aware of how things "are" and such. I definitely don't want any of that irrelevant very erraneous American attitude of where I can "apply" my degree to the highest amount of efficiency in Western countries. Experiencing culture and an education are what is important to me, and so while there may be a "honeymoon stage" for me at first like anyone, I'm fully aware of what I want and what there is to commit to by living in Buenos Aires. The question is how I can get there. Thanks to the helpful people for sharing the advice.

Hmmm. I have already spoken to a representative of Belgrano because someone in my university has a contact with one of them. I have a skype session with her tomorrow. It is true that it would probably be easier since they recognize my high school diploma/a lot of my credits already; I am studying anthropology right now and in general will remain in social sciences definitely, I'm not sure which of these unis is better.

As far as the 6 exams go, I understand that theyre a pain to do but I am sure I would be able to pass them since I did go to high school? It does seem like UBA would be generally a better education, and UB a more convienent transition most likely.

I am in the works of getting my Colombian citizenship since my mom is a citizen and it would make things easier for me. Does this have any effect on how hard it might be to attend UBA?

Sidenote: I wanna mention that although I have spent the majority of my life in the U.S (in Miami no less) I have visited Latin America plenty and am well aware of how things "are" and such. I definitely don't want any of that irrelevant very erraneous American attitude of where I can "apply" my degree to the highest amount of efficiency in Western countries. Experiencing culture and an education are what is important to me, and so while there may be a "honeymoon stage" for me at first like anyone, I'm fully aware of what I want and what there is to commit to by living in Buenos Aires. The question is how I can get there. Thanks to the helpful people for sharing the advice.

Im a sociologist from UBA. In social sciences, the difference with private universities is abismal. There are almost no other serious college of social sciences than UBA. UB is reasonably good in architecture, but social sciences? If it happens that you find a good proffesor, he surely is from UBA. Private universities are sucking from UBA prestige by hiring its proffesors, offering more money. But programmes are better in UBA. I suggest you go there.

Im a sociologist from UBA. In social sciences, the difference with private universities is abismal. There are almost no other serious college of social sciences than UBA. UB is reasonably good in architecture, but social sciences? If it happens that you find a good proffesor, he surely is from UBA. Private universities are sucking from UBA prestige by hiring its proffesors, offering more money. But programmes are better in UBA. I suggest you go there.

Better look into the process right now...
But that's really cool, would you say youre happy with it?

And not sure if anyone here would know, but does the university give out scholarships to non citizens, would I have a pretty good chance of getting one? I have a full scholarship that also covers all my living expenses at UF, but I'm not enjoying it there. I wouldn't mind finding a job/working in Buenos Aires part time.

The exams are not trivial. There are people on this board with degrees from prestigious universities that failed one or more on the first try. Additionally, they mostly cover material that is specific to Argentina, so you can't avoid having to study for them.

Unless you went to high school in Colombia (Colombia has a "convenio" with Argentina), it won't make any difference. You will still have to take the exams, but other bureaucratic processes may be easier.

The UBA as I said is very singular. It is different the training from other universities cause you have 2+ years, that could be only one if you prepare the exams by yourself. But besides that, la formación, the profession you achieve as a whole, is very complete, is very inclusive. It has a lot of theory, very intellectual, the level is fine, I think in social sciences the best choice is the UBA.

About scolarships, the second half of my carreer (2006-2009) was full of foreigner students, from everywhere, lots of americans, some even from Harvard, so I guess more than one was on a scolarship. Bureaucracy is heavy at UBA, is the worst part, its like a huge thing, but with patience and good mood youll make it. I think the best is to talk with someone, in person or online, or if you can come here and talk with someone... information on the website might not always be right, or not always tell you what you need.

Life here in BA is a lot different than in many other latin american countries you will find so it will probably be a little less familiar. I am currently a student at UB and really enjoy it however I am in interior design which is not offered at UBA but I have found at least for my major the school has a very good program. However for social sciences I have not really heard of anyone who goes to UB so would definitely not recommend it for a major like that. I was in the same situation as you in the U.S. but really like it down here and am really happy with my decision!

Back