I'm so bored...this pandemic has killed me, is there anything to do here?

Being bored, or avoiding boredom, are two very important issues. Whereas someone may be excited about reading, yoga, sex, or whatever, avoidance of boredom is a complex issue. We have to find what turns us on and learn whether we have the motivation to pursue what turns us on. You can have ambition, but if you don't have the motivation to achieve your ambitions, you won't get far.

My best advice to avoid being bored? Get very bored and for quite some time; you'll quickly find out that being bored is no fun. That will motivate you to avoid being bored! You will do anything to avoid that status, including pursuing activities like having sex, meditation, yoga, going out, and so on.

I was bored this afternoon, so then I got to read this post and that got me motivated to write, and offer advice (which i love to do, even for free, even if unsolicited!). Now, I am not bored anymore. But I am finishing this post, so there's a chance I will get bored again. Please, someone, post a message on this forum that will motivate me to think and write about it, so I can avoid getting bored again!

Years ago I got seriously bored. Then I thought what was the stuff I really enjoyed doing and, at the time, it was pistol shooting.

I knew a lot about it so I decided to write a book, or so was the original idea.
I gathered all the stuff at hand, researched the subject on the internet, read every book even marginally related and on the way made a skrtch of my book. It turned to be a very comprehensive Powerpoint presentation.
When it was almost ready, i recruited a dozen of interested subjects, from elemental to advanced and promised them to teach them if they promised not to skip a single class or quit.
Took months and endless meetings, they wouldn't leave after 3 non interrupted hours...
When the theory was done we wen to a Tiro Federal in La Plata where they traditionally have a cut down a 4x4 competition.
My random picked team finished first, Half the time and half the shots than the second team.
Me, a proud teacher.
Took hours, days, weeks, months.
Memories will last forever.

Iz

What exactly were you doing to entertain yourself pre covid? I can't say there's anything I can't do now that I could do before the virus struck.....apart from kiss the mother in laws female carer who has a nice bum.

What exactly were you doing to entertain yourself pre covid? I can't say there's anything I can't do now that I could do before the virus struck.....apart from kiss the mother in laws female carer who has a nice bum.

Umm, cough, TMI?

But it's odd that the young, who have vast great spans of years ahead of them, are so easily bored. While those of us embarking on our 7th decade of life, who can see our own inevitable death heaving up over a distant horizon, feel we never have enough time for all we want to do.

I was looking at my Steam library the other day, thinking how many games I own that I have never played, and how many more I have only played far less than I want to, and it occurred to me that I probably don't have enough years left to do all I want with the games I already own, let alone any more I may buy. I started playing wargames fifty years ago, with Avalon Hill's WW1 monsterpiece 1914. And, Lord, but that half century has gone by so quickly!

I wish I could think of something profound with which to conclude this little digression, but I've got nothing. Life is, and then it isn't. JFK, MLK, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass, and Jimi Hendrix all died too young. And wicked old monsters like Henry Kissinger and George Soros seem to live forever.

Umm, cough, TMI?

But it's odd that the young, who have vast great spans of years ahead of them, are so easily bored. While those of us embarking on our 7th decade of life, who can see our own inevitable death heaving up over a distant horizon, feel we never have enough time for all we want to do.

I was looking at my Steam library the other day, thinking how many games I own that I have never played, and how many more I have only played far less than I want to, and it occurred to me that I probably don't have enough years left to do all I want with the games I already own, let alone any more I may buy. I started playing wargames fifty years ago, with Avalon Hill's WW1 monsterpiece 1914. And, Lord, but that half century has gone by so quickly!

I wish I could think of something profound with which to conclude this little digression, but I've got nothing. Life is, and then it isn't. JFK, MLK, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass, and Jimi Hendrix all died too young. And wicked old monsters like Henry Kissinger and George Soros seem to live forever.

Similar thing happening to me. Collected music albums hoping I would find time to listen to classical in my old age. Followed by cassettes, open reel tapes, CDs, Mp3, FLAC, u name it. Then added Movies in large quantities almost impossible to store. DVDs and now I realise the time will never come.

Where were you when I collected WWII and III Avalon Hill games? I needed someone to play with or against.

"Time waits for no one", "Carpe Diem" and "drop the isatiable gaming PC hardware and get a console" seem appropiate and profound enough...

Iz

Here's something to help you order your priorities during the mission:

Besides, summer's here! Sit in an outdoor cafe and girl-watch. One might look back at you.

Back