Immigration For Dummies

To qualify for pensionado you need to provide proof of a monthly income of at least 8000 pesos which at the current exchange rate is around US $880.

Hi. Your "Immigration for Dummies" (I resemble that remark) is great and has encouraged me.

I'm wondering, though, if I qualify as "retirado". What did they ask you for in the way of documentation?

I get $650 a month from Social Security (but it's Disability, not retirement. Yet. It will be in a couple of years) and $907 from an annuity my dad set up for me.

It looked to me, reading your tome, like they just asked you a couple of questions and didn't need documents.

What do you think my chances might be of becoming a retirado. If I just say I am and have grey hair (some, not all), will that suffice?

Thanks again for the help you already provided and any more help you can provide.

Bob Haskell

Hi Bob,

You will need to document the sources of income and the "visa" you will qualify for is the pensionada.

You can get a "monthly benefits" letter from the Social Security administration. In fact, you can download it form the website if you have (or create) a "My Social Security" account. The letter must have the Apostille and be translated and the translation must be legalized in Argentina unless you get it from the SBU office at the US Embassy in BA. That letter would not need the Apostille but would have to be certified in Argentina (in an office on Aranales near the Plaza San Martin).

If your monthly Social Security income is presently greater than $8000 peos per month (at the official rate) that's all you'll need. If not, you will need to "document" the income from the annuity and that incantation must have a notarized signature so it can receive the Apostille. It would then need to be translated and the translation legalized in Argentina. A CPA or a bank officer at the bank where your monthly check from the annuity is deposited can write a very simple cover letter that can detail the amount of monthly income, it's source, and how long you will be receiving it. That letter can be notarized and receive the Apostille.

What, if any, advantage might I have as the child of a former Argentine citizen when it comes to getting permission to work legally?

My parents moved with us to the US from Buenos Aires when I was a child, and I had an Argentinian passport, a cedula and a DNI until my 18th birthday (time which I should have declared citizenship but as a dumb college kid I never realized). I eventually went on to get US citizenship and my parents did too a few years later.

Now my widowed dad wants to return to Buenos Aires for his final years and I'm thinking of coming along for at least a year or two. If possible, I'd like to be able to find legal work with the least amount of red tape (but yes, I know that is largely an unavoidable task in Arg) to help supplement living expenses.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I could find out?

What, if any, advantage might I have as the child of a former Argentine citizen when it comes to getting permission to work legally?

My parents moved with us to the US from Buenos Aires when I was a child, and I had an Argentinian passport, a cedula and a DNI until my 18th birthday (time which I should have declared citizenship but as a dumb college kid I never realized). I eventually went on to get US citizenship and my parents did too a few years later.

Now my widowed dad wants to return to Buenos Aires for his final years and I'm thinking of coming along for at least a year or two. If possible, I'd like to be able to find legal work with the least amount of red tape (but yes, I know that is largely an unavoidable task in Arg) to help supplement living expenses.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I could find out?

I don't understand the facts neither the question.

#13.
DNI = a permit to live and work.

The above statement is correct, yet it is not inclusive.
The inclusive statement should read as follows:

#13.
Any category Residency = a permit to live and work.
This new statement encompasses all residency categories, even the dead end Trans. Residency that leads NEITHER to a precaria NOR to a DNI.

Notice also that a DNI or a Precria are NOT the only requirements to get a CUIL.
There are several types of CUIL`s.
Not all CUIL`s are equal.
One could obtain multiple CUIL`s simultaneously at the same time.
For example: I could have a CUIL with ONLY my passport. (only useful for few things like opening a bank account etc etc ….. but not good for work). And of course, I will also have the CUIL that nowadays comes automatically with a DNI (if I have one). 2 CUIL`s simultaneously.

Notice:
1. Skip posts upto #70. Start with post #71 onward. Keep in mind that much has changed since, nonetheless it is the most recent update.
2. I did not get a chance to tackle the time consuming daunting task of a complete full release.

Hello, first thank you all for the amazingly detailed and clear information, the time dedicated and the efforts made.

Second, the latest update on the min. amount - as of June 2016 it's still 8000 for both categories and the application fee is 1200 pesos plus 60 pesos for DNI.
ttp://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/?nomercosur_temporaria
http://ctoro.mrecic.gob.ar/node/689

Third - a question for the [background=rgb(230, 230, 230)]khairyexpat. [/background]

You stated that the renewal process is to be started 60 days before the end of each year - am I correct to assume that it's the earliest and can be done just with enough lead time before the end of the year to keep it uninterrupted? And I could not find what paperwork would be required the second third and forth time around - what did you have to present in your case?
I am a Canadian as well and about to apply for the first time in September this year - based on my rental income. I spend 8 months in BsAs September to May, then 4 summer months in Canada - would I need to request another RCMP certificate or just another Argentine one or both or neither? The lease agreement that is a source of my income is a 3 year one, so again, would I have to provide a new legalized original of it or do they keep it on the file ? ( I know nothing is ever guaranteed and less so in Argentina, but one would hope...).
Last but not least - I am light years away from CPP, but I have some income from BC public Pension Plan - my lease is for $1500 monthly and I am not sure the immigration officers will realize it must be Can as the lease agreement doesn't specify it. While it should cover the present 8000 min almost twice over, would you think it's worth it to present the pension papers as well - it gives me another 900 bucks...Could it possibly cause a confusion as to which category assign me?
Saludos y gracias de antemano.

[background=rgb(230, 230, 230)]I [/background]

...the latest update on the min. amount - as of June 2016 it's still 8000 for both categories and the application fee is 1200 pesos plus 60 pesos for DNI.

The monthly income requirement for the visa rentista and visa pensionado is still $8000 pesos and is likely to double (if not tripple) in the near future.

You stated that the renewal process is to be started 60 days before the end of each year - am I correct to assume that it's the earliest and can be done just with enough lead time before the end of the year to keep it uninterrupted? And I could not find what paperwork would be required the second third and forth time around - what did you have to present in your case?

Yes, the earliest you can start the renewal process is 60 days prior to the expiration date. You will need to provide updated documentation of the source of income and a new Argentine police report. Also a photocopy of your DNI and possibly all pages of your passport (but I am not sure about the latter). On the third renewal you can ask for the "cambio de categoria" from temporary to permanent residency.

Base on the recent experience of a friend of mine,if you don't ask for permanent residency on the third renewal migraciones will insist that you get it on the fourth.

I am a Canadian as well and about to apply for the first time in September this year - based on my rental income. I spend 8 months in BsAs September to May, then 4 summer months in Canada - would I need to request another RCMP certificate or just another Argentine one or both or neither? The lease agreement that is a source of my income is a 3 year one, so again, would I have to provide a new legalized original of it or do they keep it on the file ? ( I know nothing is ever guaranteed and less so in Argentina, but one would hope...).

Not sure what you mean by "would I need to request another RCMP certificate or just another Argentine one or both or neither?" You need both when you apply for temporary residency the first time and only a new Argentine police certificate for the renewals. If you are in Argentina when you get the RCMP certificate, do not return to Canada before you submit the paerwork to migraciones.

I have some income from BC public Pension Plan - my lease is for $1500 monthly and I am not sure the immigration officers will realize it must be Can as the lease agreement doesn't specify it. While it should cover the present 8000 min almost twice over, would you think it's worth it to present the pension papers as well - it gives me another 900 bucks...Could it possibly cause a confusion as to which category assign me?

Migraciones will probably assume the foreign income is in Canadian dollars and do the math. There used to be a requirement to have the amount "certified" by an Argentine accountant but I've never read a post that anyone had to do that.

I suggest you either apply for the visa rentista based on your rental income or the visa pensionado based on you pension income, but I do not suggest you combine the two unless the monthly income requirement is increased before you can apply for your visa.

The visa pensionado will be easier to get as your pension income is easier to verify (with an official benefits letter that has the Apostille) and will be accepted by migraciones without any questions.
emo32.gif

Thank you so much for all the info steveinbsas, I am in Canada now and am obtaining the RCMP certificate here so that I can apply once i am back in BsAs in September. Thought that I shouldn't combine the two incomes, but I have two issues with the Pension Income - first it's not Canadian Government pension, but Provincial Public Plan pension of BC, so though it is official, it's not as common as CPP and they don't have a standard paper confirming the income, just semiannual statements. I can request a letter containing the number, but there is no guarantee that they will verbalize it well enough to be clear...Second and a bigger issue is that the exact amount is $855 Can which at a current exchange rate barely covers the 8000 min, it's about 9000 at the moment but given the mess that has been created by the removing of the cepo I am not sure it'll not go lower by september and I won't be able to apply and if the amount is increased by the time i have to renew I'll have to apply for a change of the category at that point and it might cause some complications. The rental agreement on the other hand gives me almost double the amount and I can even bump it to 2K and if it's supported by a certificate of the title of the property in my name it shouldn't rase any questions should it? And Canada in it's national pride or whatever else might have been the consideration hadn't signed the Hague convention, so no apostille for us, it has to go through the tedium of authentication by Canadian foreign trade ministry and then legalization by the Argentine Consulate in Toronto which means two registered mail round trips and keeping my fingers crossed for getting it all done within the 90 days from start to finish in retiro,

Back