Immigration For Dummies

Thank you so much for all the info stevenbsas, I am in Canada now and am obtaining the RCMP certificate here so that I can apply once i am back in BsAs in September. Thought that I shouldn't combine the two incomes, but I have two issues with the Pension Income - first it's not Canadian Government pension, but Provincial Public Plan pension of BC, so though it is official, it's not as common as CPP and they don't have a standard paper confirming the income, just semiannual statements. I can request a letter containing the number, but there is no guarantee that they will verbalize it well enough to be clear...Second and a bigger issue is that the exact amount is $855 Can which at a current exchange rate barely covers the 8000 min, it's about 9000 at the moment but given the mess that has been created by the removing of the cepo I am not sure it'll not go lower by september and I won't be able to apply and if the amount is increased by the time i have to renew I'll have to apply for a change of the category at that point and it might cause some complications. The rental agreement on the other hand gives me almost double the amount and I can even bump it to 2K and if it's supported by a certificate of the title of the property in my name it shouldn't rase any questions should it?

I suggest you try to document both sources of income as well as you can and not be concerned about which visa to apply for. Just go to migraciones and say you would like to apply for temporary residency based on your "stable" foreign income.I thought I had a visa rentista for three years but when I went to ask for the cambio de categoria to permanent residency on the third renewal, the lady at migraciones used the term "pensionado" before she even looked at my file, remembering me from previous years...

Even though the visa is granted for one year at a time, migraciones wants to see "evidence" that the income will continue for two years, so providing a two year lease (or leases) is essential. It is also a good idea to have "evidence" of previous rental history. A notarized letter(that also has the Apostille) from a bank official or CPA that "certifies" the deposits to your account that match the rental income would be good to have. It may be "difficult" to get either a CPA or bank officer to write that they expect the income to continue in the future, but I suggest you ask them to do so.

If you don't speak Spanish very well and/or would like an experienced person to go to migraciones with you when you submit your papers, there is a member of the group who has accompanied several of us when we first applied as well as renewed. I will send her contact information to you if you would like to contact her. She is not a lawyer or a gestor. She is from a neighboring country and "knows the ropes" at migraciones. Her "fee" is very low and she is very nice.
emo32.gif

Hi Steve, thanks for the advice and for the offer, I am proficient in castellano argentino, oral and written, and I am fine dealing with the authorities on my own. Can't get an affidavit confirming the rental income being deposited to my account as I am just starting the lease now, hope that the rental agreement supported by a proof of ownership will do. One more question - by the time I am back to BsAs my papers would be about 4 weeks short of the 90 days expiration - when you request a 'turno' online does it let you choose the date or does it assign you the date and is it always just a week ahead? What I am asking is - am I guaranteed to get in within a week or there might be a situation where they are booked for a few few weeks ahead? :confused:

Hi Steve, thanks for the advice and for the offer, I am proficient in castellano argentino, oral and written, and I am fine dealing with the authorities on my own. Can't get an affidavit confirming the rental income being deposited to my account as I am just starting the lease now, hope that the rental agreement supported by a proof of ownership will do.

I think others have reported problems with migraciones in Retiro when they couldn't "officially document" the history of their rental income with bank records or independent (professional) verification. Keep in mind that migraciones wants to see reasonable evidence that the income will continue for two years, even though the visa is granted one year at a time. Documenting your pension income as well as possible will be your fallback position. Don't forget to get all documents notarized and then have them receive the Apostille. They will have to be translated in Argentina by a lisenced translator and then "legalized" before you submit them to migraciones.

One more question - by the time I am back to BsAs my papers would be about 4 weeks short of the 90 days expiration - when you request a 'turno' online does it let you choose the date or does it assign you the date and is it always just a week ahead? What I am asking is - am I guaranteed to get in within a week or there might be a situation where they are booked for a few few weeks ahead? :confused:

I can't answer this question with accuracy because I never made a turno online to do anything at migraciones, Nonetheless, I am certain that the date you actually submit your papers will be the date used by migraciones in determining if any paperwork has expired. This is the kind of question the person i previously suggested you consult could answer.
emo32.gif

I do lease for 2 years but I don't have any agency involved, so it was going to be just a contract signed in the notary office...Almost sounds like I should then just go with the pension for now and if the amount increases in the future then add the lease. I've already contacted a translator with matricula in BsAs and she will take care of legalization herself, I just cover the fees, but as I said before, Canada does not have the Apostille, and there is a very expensive, convoluted and time consuming process to authenticate and legalize the papers (it equivalents to Apostille). Khairyexpat described the online turno process, so he probably knows the timeline, but I am not sure how to address he message to him, I did ask him in my very first post and got a reply form you, do you know if it's possible to send a message directly to any member of the forum using this site?

do you know if it's possible to send a message directly to any member of the forum using this site?

Drag the cursor to their name and you will automatically see a box that includes a smaller box that will allow you to send them a message.
emo32.gif

Wow. This is the most comprehensive & helpful "guide" to AR immigration that I have come across. I was a temporary resident 4 years ago and have been trying to figure out how to get back for a more permanent stay since. Thank you for sharing!

Forgive me if this has already been addressed; I did not see anything.

Does a study visa make one eligible to work legally?

Thank you in advance!

Actually, I digress. I was not reading carefully. I did find this:

DNI = a permit to live and work.
DNI´s have NO distinction of the Residency Category.
ALL DNI´s (including DNI obtained as a Student ) will allow you to live & work, and transition to Perm. Res. on 3[sup]rd[/sup] renewal.
DNI number remains the same when you transition from temporary to permanent & will always be marked in red "EXTRANJERO" & will also identify your nationality, and the number will be prefixed with "9". (as opposed to Mercosur DNI or Native DNI, or DNI acquired through Citizenship, .. these will not be marked as such).
Temp. DNI expires each time Temp. Res. expires.
Temp. DNI has to be renewed each time you renew your Temp. Residency.
Perm. DNI also expires, but not for 10 or 15 years.
Temp. or Perm. Resident = a citizen/national of another country.
DNI´s have NO distinction of the Residency Category.
ALL DNI´s (including DNI obtained as a Student ) will allow you to live & work, and transition to Perm. Res. on 3[sup]rd[/sup] renewal.
DNI number remains the same when you transition from temporary to permanent & will always be marked in red "EXTRANJERO" & will also identify your nationality, and the number will be prefixed with "9". (as opposed to Mercosur DNI or Native DNI, or DNI acquired through Citizenship, .. these will not be marked as such).
Temp. DNI expires each time Temp. Res. expires.
Temp. DNI has to be renewed each time you renew your Temp. Residency.
Perm. DNI also expires, but not for 10 or 15 years.
Temp. or Perm. Resident = a citizen/national of another country.

The following is an excerpt from post #97 :

#13.

The above statement is correct, but not inclusive.
The inclusive statement should read as follows:

#13.
Any category Residency = a permit to live and work.
This new statement encompasses ALL residency categories, even the dead end Trans. Residency that leads to NEITHER a precaria NOR a DNI.

Notes:
1. Skip posts up to #70. Start with post #71 onward.
2. Updates to post #71 are piecemeal and require sifting through all subsequent posts.
3. It would`ve been nice if there was a way to incorporate all these scattered updates into (THE ONE EXISTING POST) post #71.

Back