Immigration For Dummies

<p>.................................................................................AT A GLANCE
...............................................................................................[sup]Worth A 1000 Words[/sup]

2process.jpg

5types.jpg

7required.jpg

.....................................................%3

Thanks for the update! so if I am unfortunately in the category that leads to nothing as they gave me the student visa must I wait till that expires or can I change it to student residency so I can get my DNI...

Khairyexpat, wow, great work! It's very clear and detailed. What a great overview of the different paths to legal residence. :) Te felicito!

One thing to clarify, perhaps, regarding: #2.6 - Studying Spanish (i.e. the Spanish as a foreign language courses in the Centro de Idiomas in the UBA for example) does qualify you for a type of residency: transitoria. This is the same category of residency as given to tourists; it has a duration of 90 days and is only renewable one time, for a total of 180 days per calendar year and it does NOT entitle you to work nor does it, as you (very clearly!) indicate, lead to permanent residency.

There are different sub-categories of residencia transitoria (mostly not pertinent to the interests of longtime "permatourists" who want to regularize their immigration status, since by definition they are transitory, i.e. not valid for very long!) but it's worth noting that several of these sub-categories qualify you to engage in paid work, seasonal migrant workers and, business and technical visitors (e.g. businesspeople and academics?). Sources: Tramites.gob.ar, Título IV, Capítulo I, Artículos 51 y 52 - Ley 25.871 (Argentina's Immigration Law)

From the non-Mercosur Residencia Temporaria page of the DNM:

NOTA: LAS INSTITUCIONES EDUCATIVAS DEBERÁN ESTAR REGISTRADAS ANTE ESTA DIRECCIÓN NACIONAL Y OTORGARAN LA CONSTANCIA DE INSCRIPCIÓN AL INTERESADO DETALLANDO EL TIPO DE ESTUDIO A CURSAR.

LA RESIDENCIA A OTORGAR PODRÁ SER TEMPORARIA O TRANSITORIA CONFORME LOS ESTUDIOS

This is to say, if the course you're enrolled in lasts 3 months, or even 6 months (or if they have the impression it does for some reason), you will be granted residencia transitoria.

(btw DCExpatstudent did you go to the DNM or CDR and ask about whether you can cambiar de categoria from transitoria to temporaria? What documentation did you present from your school aside from the constancia de inscripción electrónica? It might be worth stopping by with a printed copy of the your carrera's plan de estudio so than can see clearly the duration and modality of your course of study..)

I am going to go ask monday morning, but I just brought that and proof that I did not have criminal record in Arg because thats what my university had told me but It appears that I need to bring the carrera's plan like you said because on the paper the school gave me it says 6 months or however long to finish the career. So yes when I go on Monday that should make it a lot more clear, if not I guess I may have to get something that is more descriptive from my school...

Kettle ... as generous with your time and knowledge as always !! Thank you for your valuable input.

I missed to list Student Category in Trans. Res. as well. It should have been listed in BOTH Temp. & Trans. Res.

Same way I listed Family in Both Temp. & Perm. Res. (Family: Marriage-> Perm. Res. ..... but Family: Re-Union-> Temp. Res.)

It should have been (Student: Full Program-> Temp. Res., ..... but Student: Minor Program-> Trans. Res.)

Trying to update this post with new information and corrections proved to be difficult, messy, time consuming, a nightmare and never right.
My memory is not helping me nowadays, my concentration is not the same, I forget, get confused and get tired.
I wish there was a way to update the OP itself.
Just ONE and ONLY ONE post.

Can you clarify #13:

#13 - Previous entries are considered tourist entries, (even though they count for BOTH IMMIGRATION & CITIZENSHIP Residency Requirements)

Does this mean that a previous entry starts the clock on the 2-years living in Argentina for citizenship? For example, if you were here in January for 2 weeks, left Argentina for 2 months, then came back in March, and have been here ever since - does this mean the clock starts in January?

Thanks for all the work you put into this.

@Kettle: I´ll modify #2.6 to make the distinction clear.

The two years "in country" required for citizenship starts the first day you set foot on Argentine soil, even as a tourist.
@camel: Hope this correctly answers your question.

@camel: Hope this correctly answers your question.

Please excuse me, ... as I´m not comfortable answering questions.

#23.
I have ZERO legal background.
I'm not soliciting anything or giving any advice. Just offering my time to share my personal experience.

For 9 years I did not know any of this, till I came across this Forum by accident (I was still looking for how to renew my Canadian Driver License ).

Back