Imported Good Shops Practically Out of Business!!

French jurist said:
If we can't afford an expensive Hermès anymore, we still can afford a cheap Herpes.

One thing I like most about the French is their sense of humor.:D

Though I realize it may be a sore point with others.:p

Amargo said:
Apparently companies importing must export goods for the same value. At least in the industry sector, many tool or machinery importers end up exporting wine or some other non-related products.

do you have a source for this?

An example to illustrate the procedure....

BMW suspends car exports to Argentina because of import restrictions

Argentina's economy is among the fastest-growing in the world, but that may be little consolation to the country's luxury-car fans that have lost access to the world's best-selling premium car.

Germany's BMW AG has suspended exports to Argentina because of import restrictions imposed by the government of President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, a spokesman said Monday.

Currently around 700 BMW vehicles are stuck in Argentine customs waiting for delivery to customers who already ordered them.

“Due to the current situation of import restrictions, we temporarily do not deliver vehicles to Argentina as they would remain blocked at customs,” Christian Menges, corporate communications manager for BMW Group Argentina, said in an email. “New quotas will be reallocated to Argentina as soon as the situation is solved.”

Menges said BMW is in talks with the government “various options are being evaluated with the goal to restart importing vehicles as quickly as possible,“ he said.

In the meantime, BMW dealerships remain open and the company is focusing on its service and used-car business.

Menges said BMW will be able to meet demand for new vehicles on ”very short notice” when the situation changes.

Argentina has signed accords with automakers to allow them to import vehicles for sale as long as they export goods for the same value (‘dollar for dollar’). The policy is part of the government efforts to reduce the auto industry’s trade deficit.

The lack of an accord led BMW to ship about 1,000 BMW vehicles that were seized by Argentine customs to Brazil, according to Buenos Aires media reports.

Source

It's not going to happen 'again' like in the 90's when everyone who wanted to import something was able to do it without restrictions now they must export 'something' for the same value, no more fast bucks or easy life I'm afraid.

Lucas said:
Germany's BMW AG has suspended exports to Argentina because of import restrictions imposed by the government of President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, a spokesman said Monday.

Currently around 700 BMW vehicles are stuck in Argentine customs waiting for delivery to customers who already ordered them.

I'm glad my BMW days are behind me.:D

Hilarious. As usual the only people getting shafted here are the middle class, which christina has all but killed.

steveinbsas said:
I'm glad my BMW days are behind me.:D

Me too!...I assure you that I'm not in that order list :D

It's curious because it seems many people as the OP think that these measures is some kind of paranoiac obstinacy of this government to control everything when in fact is all the contrary and is designed to permit the importation of any goods provided the importer makes the effort to export a national manufactured product or raw material of equitable value...that is what a balanced trade should be, a thing that has been forgotten for a very long time in this country.

Lucas said:
It's curious because it seems many people as the OP think that these measures is some kind of paranoiac obstinacy of this government to control everything when in fact is all the contrary and is designed to permit the importation of any goods provided the importer makes the effort to export a national manufactured product or raw material of equitable value...that is what a balanced trade should be, a thing that has been forgotten for a very long time in this country.
That may be the aim, but the premise is far-fetched and most companies will just walk away....there's better business to be done elsewhere.

CarverFan said:
That may be the aim, but the premise is far-fetched and most companies will just walk away....there's better business to be done elsewhere.

Good, the country don't need nor want them, one of the reasons of why this country went bankrupt.

CarverFan said:

Additionally the main problem with these kinds of trade restrictions(and they have been tried repeatably in many countries) is that they just don't work and usually end up harming the people they are intended to help. For most companies Argentina is just too small of a market and they will indeed decide its not worth it.

Back