Importing a car from the USA

Sdiz.usa

Registered
Hello all!

Has anybody had the experience of importing a car from the USA? I have been living here for over 10 years and want to bring a car from the USA . Is it difficult? Any recommended websites would be appreciated. Thanks

I believe that the window of opportunity for doing that with a car you already own would have been the six-months grace period you would have been given after obtaining Argentine residency. Even then your attempts would have been accompanied by maniacal laughter from expats who have seen this sort of thing before and the sight of customs agents with dollar-sign eyes rubbing their hands in glee.

Some time ago we had the chance to import a car duty and freight free. Passed it up after hearing maintenance horror stories: practically impossible to get spare parts, mechanics not familiar with the car, higher registration costs, etc.

You'll be sorry................................................ralph21.gif

Go to Customs Agency in Plaza de Mayo an find trustworthy info. Depends on the value of the car, if you had owned it for some time, your residence status, etc. etc. Better yet go to a Customs Broker to find out the cost to get the car delivered to your door steps. The custom duties used to be bet. 50% and 100 % of the USA Blue book Value.! Add broker fees, transport , clearing fees, Etc . Bribes...

Even following Rich One's wise advice, you'll still be at the mercy of the customs officials on duty when your car reaches Argentina. A sure recipe for heart failure........

I wonder if it would make a difference if he shipped car to one of the neighboring countries, drove to arg as tourist on US plates and then attempted to re-register.

If that process would turn out inconvenient for one reason or another, he could drive back to neighboring country where import process is not as cumbersome and try arg again but this time with mercosur plates.

If this didn't work, he has several options, one of them to keep mercosur plates.

A fu
I wonder if it would make a difference if he shipped car to one of the neighboring countries, drove to arg as tourist on US plates and then attempted to re-register.

If that process would turn out inconvenient for one reason or another, he could drive back to neighboring country where import process is not as cumbersome and try arg again but this time with mercosur plates.

If this didn't work, he has several options, one of them to keep mercosur plates.

A good research project ...!
  1. Find out the import vehicle regulations in all neighboring Mercosur Countries
  2. Find out the regulations to nationalize (obtain local plates) for a vehicle in all Mercosur Countries.
  3. Study all the possible combinations of the above options and obtain the Optimum in terms of Cost, time , and paperwork.
  4. Another Option enter Arg with Mercosur Plates and exit every six months
  5. Drive the car down the Panamericana from the USA.

Hello all!

Has anybody had the experience of importing a car from the USA? I have been living here for over 10 years and want to bring a car from the USA . Is it difficult? Any recommended websites would be appreciated. Thanks

If you enter " importing car" in the search feature of this site (searching only in titles) you will find a number of threads on the subject.

PS: As for recommended websites, if you use google or bing and search "importing a car (or vehicle)" and/or "household goods into Argentina" you will find detailed information regarding values, fees, taxes, and time limits.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HenryNisental Expat Life 15
Patagone Expat Life 13
Tilda Expat Life 8
P Expat Life 5
kosta Expat Life 16
Back